How high will ammo go?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Oct 31, 2020.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

There’s hardly any ammo to be found anywhere. No .38 special,.357,.45 acp, .32 hr,.327,and even 9 mm is hard to find at less than .70 rd. Who would have thought they would see these prices. Will 9 mm go to $1.00 rd? .44 mag is pushing $1.50 rd now with .45 acp bumping $1.00 rd. Were will it stop? Deer hunting ammo is not there in some calibers. Even 30-30 and 30-06 ammo is sold out.???? I’m 77 and can remember .22lr at $5.00 and less per brick,no more. I’m really blessed to have at least two boxes for each gun I own. The pawn shop owner made the remark that in two months he would be buying secondhand guns for penny’s on the dollar because of no ammo. What do you think?
    [flag]

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and duane like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

When people were warned this could happen a quarter century ago, some people just ignored the warning.
    You are witnessing the start of tumultuous times coming; it's the time for many essential items to become scarce, not just ammo.
    (some areas actually aren't too bad off currently, and some things are still available at a good price.)

The entire premise behind being a "prepper" comes to mind. [winkthumb]

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Not that I need any ammo - I was checking for das Kinder

At tle local Air Base exchange (PX) there was zero balance for 9mm, 38 SPl, +P 38 SPL and the only .357 on hand as sold in lots of 20 rnds @ $18 per 'box'. The clerk indicated it had been this way for 'weeks'.

So yeah, there seems to be a toilet paper level of panic buying and have been for some time....

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and duane like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's out there, but you have to look. Shooting forums have activity in the ammo classifieds as well as posts from folks who have run across ammo. You can also see if people are willing to swap for something you have in abundance for something you want. Small pistol primers are gold.

A lot of times medium and small places like farm stores and such get overlooked. Keep checking.

Ammoseek is also your friend. I ran across CCI small large primers earlier this week, but when you find something you have to pull the trigger immediately.

I'm glad I had the presence of mind to go long when it was cheap while HRC was having her "What Happened" cry fest.

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

last I bought ammo, it was like $3/box....

6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Springfield 06 loves the old style hand loads made with the old Lee loader and cast bullets. While it doesn't full length resize, using it in the same rifle makes that moot. A thousand old cases, 8 lbs of H4895, a pot and 50 or so lbs of old wheel weights, and 2,000 primers. That is good for about 1800 rounds, with what I have on stock loaded, about 2300 rounds. Not real accurate, but does all that my old eyes can handle and like recoil of slower rounds better. First time I put it all together many years ago, was less than $100 for loader, pot, mold, 8 lbs of power and 4,000 primers.

Course I have to keep shooting it so as to properly rotate the powder and primers. Not real scientific, but went from targets to steel, don't know just where you hit it, but you da** well know if you hit or not. Open sights, bolt action, sporterized and thus "ruined" but I have to pry it out of the hands of the kids who usually shoot 22's and love the clang of the bell when they hit the steel target.[gun2]

7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

This morning the BulletBuyer site was showing CCI Stinger at $0.53 rd ,something is very wrong and not right. That’s the same price as .45 acp,STUPID. I wonder if they are selling any,not much I bet.
    [flag][flag][flag][flag

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2020
    Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Spent a whopping 10 bucks for these at a flea market,Loaded 100,All went pop down range.
    Mostly small pistol magnums !!!

phone 10-18-2020 178.

techsar likes this.
  9. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

How high will it go?
    As high as the market will bear.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

It won't start leveling off for months. It'll never come back to where it was. And it may just keep climbing.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

demand starts to drop next Wednesday >>>$$$ will stay high into beginning of 2021 >>> retailers need to see unsold inventory and start cutting their margins - it takes 3-4 times longer to drop than escalate .....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

After 2016 everything was back and at like 16 year low prices by the end of 2017 and prices stayed low into late 2019 ealy 2020.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

We hope the demand drops, but given the proclivity of the left to overreact in a violent manner it may skyrocket...

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yes you have to look and be patient for the deals and not pounce on the 1st available you're trying to obtain. I've seen a lot of people responding to $600/1000 rounds of 5.56mm ads. Frigging crazy what some are spending on the forum classifieds. That's what happens when one panics, wasn't prepared and is desperate.

Local Bi- Mart's are still receiving some calibers but it flies off the shelf. One needs to figure out when they receive shipments and stock the shelves.

Blazer Brass 9mm is still $12.97/50 rounds.
    Federal Red Label 9mm $11.99/50 rounds
    Federal Blue Label Hunting ammo $17.99/20 rounds
    Hornady Whitetail $24.97/20 rounds

On these same forums, they are shooting themselves in the foot by posting where they see ammo for ALL members and non- members to read. I'm not volunteering to anybody which one is along my route home.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Dem's take over, this will be the low point in prices once they can restrict / legislate production.

johnbb, 3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Been hearing that since the early 1990s.
    If they were going to do it they would have done it when they had the super majority back in 2009.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    BTPost, Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  17. I hope dem's remember what happened after slick-willy rammed his people control bill through, and they lost big time in the next election.

wideym and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All the federal gun control we saw came from the fed during the obama error was ATF just deciding to change the rules.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like the bumpstock ban?

wideym likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Found a few 22's today,Not say'n where and all...Its as bad as talking about you're fishing hole
    Will post a picture soon.....

1. VisuTrac
  2. Dunerunner
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. enloopious
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. T. Riley
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Motomom34