How long could I run appliances on these 200 AH batteries?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Chay Hawk, Jun 6, 2015.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

BTPost likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They are considerably, less Noisy, have a significantly Longer Operational Life, and tend to be much more rugged, and able to withstand surge Starting Loads, than their 3600 Rpm Cousins. We call 3600 Rpm Gensets "Screamers" simply because of the Mechanical Noise they make, while producing Power at 3600 Rpm... If you ever heard a 1200 Rpm GenSet running at Full Rated Load, and compared that to a 3600 RPM Generator of the Same Horsepower Running at Full Rated Load, you would NOTICE a Significant Difference. Slower is Better, ALWAYS, and 1800 Rpm, is a good compromise between Cost, and Power, produced....
    And likely most can not afford a 1200 Rpm Genset, or even have ever seen a 900 Rpm Genset....

kellory and VisuTrac like this.
  3. BTPost

Might be a FairBanks/Morse, or a Ruston....

4. BTPost

CS.... you should come over to the Smokstak.com site, and join in the Old Diesel Power Generation Crowd... You would fit right in....

5. Chay Hawk

Chay Hawk Monkey

Sorry for the late response, I had to refresh my PC and it deleted all my bookmarks among many other things, so I had a difficult time remembering the site name. I will read through all your posts, but in the meantime, what kind of land should i get? I found .25-.5 acres for $888 near me, there was another for $2000 somewhere but I cant find it. The land i'm seeing is within city limits though. I want to get land thats at or below $6000

6. Chay Hawk

Chay Hawk Monkey

Ok so I read the posts and i've decided to completley move away from electricity as much as possible and power everything i can with Propane. Also will buy some gas generators and cords upon cords of wood. I'll use the wood in the winter mostley and just buy thermal underclothing and keep my house just slightly warm, that way i wont need to use as much wood. Generators can be used in emergencies only. I have a portable solar battery recharger and it's very nice. I use it to charge my electronics, but that would only work for things like my phone, ipad, 3DS, Wii U controller etc, i'll have to find something topower my TV, Wii U and 360, unless I can do that with propane, in which case, im all set. actually I did think i seen a propane powered generator so that might be my solution right there.

I re designed my floor plan with a 3rd shipping container and it's much better i think:

[​IMG]

7. BTPost

I have just the thing for you.... Electricity, direct from propane, with NO Moving Parts..... Expensive, but relatively OLD Technology.... and well proven for Remote Site Power. Thermal Electric Generation..... (TEG)..... I have one of these in storage, and it is part of my Back Power... It burns 1 USG of Propane in 24Hours, and produces 240 Watts per Hour for 5.7KwH per day.... Active component Is a Thermal Pile of Peltier Junctions... Waste Product is Hot Air, which can be used to heat an Insulated Space, like a room or cabin......

kellory likes this.
  8. Chay Hawk

Chay Hawk Monkey

Sweet, so is it like a device I can buy or things that i need to combine to make the device? where can i get it? or the parts to make it?

9. BTPost

They are OTS "Off the Shelf" Items, that are purchasable.... A Canadian Outfit builds the one I have... www.genthermglobalpower.com

ETA by ghrit
    Name change --
    [​IMG]

Click on "Global TEGs"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  10. Chay Hawk

Chay Hawk Monkey

Hmm, so which model should I get? How much do they cost? the site doesn't say. the 5050 and the 5100 are only for the middle east and canada so that rules those out.

11. BTPost

Read the Specs, and make your choice, but be WARNED..... This technology is NOT cheap....

12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Three to four gallons of propane/ day for 100 watt/hours seems a bit high...until you figure the heat for the living area. Still, not a lot of power...

I still have to lean towards getting rid of the games, but that's just my take [beer]

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Be careful with planning for those things. They MUST have combustion air, and if it comes from a tight interior, it will deplete the oxygen in the room. Also, the exhaust MUST go outside since it has CO2 and possibly CO, both aren't the best to breathe with CO being fatal in short order. How you recover the heat will depend on the model and your creativity.

14. BTPost

No, @ghrit The Combustion Air, and Exhaust Flue, are a separate Channel from the Cool Side of the TEG Peltier Pile... The two never get Cross-coupled...
    In many of the Remote Mountain Top Comm sites that are powered with these units, the Air from the Cool Side of the Pile is ducted into the Comm Building, and provides the heat that keeps the Interior, at about 40F, even when it is -30F outside... There is NO CO in the Cool Side Air Flow, only warm Air.....

15. ghrit

Never underestimate the power of the unknowing. Simply flagging a potential hiccup. I know people that would put one of those things in the middle of the living room without ever reading the directions.

Ganado likes this.
  16. BTPost

Yep, the same folks, who run their Honda Inverter Genset in the Front Room, when the Power goes out...... More MONEY, than Brains....

17. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

But you gotta love the estate sale. Okay, I'm leaving...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    kellory and Ganado like this.
  18. Chay Hawk

Chay Hawk Monkey

Hmm, ok we'll what would be a cheaper alternative to the Genthermal device, the stuff i had? As for getting rid of the games, no can do haha, games are my life. I mainly game on my PC and my Wii U has a controller with a built in screen so that would eliminate the use for the TV for the most part, so if i wanted to play the 360 I would have to use the TV.

19. ghrit

If you are really going off grid, you are going to be too busy for much gaming. Buy a pack of playing cards and play solitaire by the light of the oil lamp. AND/OR gather a whole lot of money and hire the wood harvested, the water carried, the planting and cultivating done.

AllTrades and BTPost like this.
  20. Chay Hawk

Chay Hawk Monkey

Well, i was thinking I could try to get a property that would be suitable for a well, then water would be free. At my current residence we have a well and we pay nothing for water, so that would be solved, I would by wood by the cord and make sure the containers were well insulated and then just wear thermal underclothing in the winter. That would save on wood. The water would be pumped up, but i will seriously consider getting a hand crank one. It would be one less thing to run on electricity. As for the garden, yeah that will be work, there won't be any getting around that. We currently have a small garden and it has to be watered daily, and that isnt anything at all, but harvesting and preserving will be.

Basically my whole plan is to be able to live on as little money as possible. I was also thinking i could create another container house on the property and rent it out to a friend or family member and use the rent money for property upkeep (Buying propane, wood etc) and save the rest for emergencies.

Electricity is my only problem. That geothermal device is too much money, and the solar power idea is a no go.

1. Prepper12
  2. Big Ron
  3. Ganado
  4. Navyair
  5. ED GEiN
  6. GrayGhost
  7. Hillbilly549
  8. Papa_asf130
  9. GrayGhost
  10. CodE BluE
  11. oil pan 4
  12. Cwmoore