How long would you wait?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Catullus, Mar 16, 2011.

  1. Catullus

    Catullus Monkey+++

    A lot of People are starting to get the hell out of dodge over in Tokyo and surrounding areas. If the situation were here in the US and you were in a similar proximity to a comparable nuclear facility...What would you do?

    I would be almost ready to go I think. I have two young children and and one due in May though so I would definitely not want to expose them unless there was no other choice.
  2. melbo

    melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

    I'd be gone before it made the news. Then again, I make a lot of false starts due to this policy.
    If you wait too long, you won't be able to get out.
    If you wait until you need something to buy it, it won't be available, etc.
  3. BTPost

    BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

    I would have been ready to Bug Out, 20 minutes after the situation was first brought to my attention. I would have gathered my family and seal up my residence to outside Air. Then would have a plan to Bug Out, as soon as it was reported, that there was a Pressure Vessel Containment Breach. Upon making the Bug Out Decision, I would consult the local Wx Station to get the prevailing wind direction, between ME and the Plant. Then I would Drive away in a direction, perpendicular to the Prevailing Wind, and be heading Up Wind, after 20 miles, as fast as practical. Once over 200 miles away I would then start looking for a place to settle, that had a water source, from well Up Wind of the Radiation source, and the wait for the All Clear, if and when it comes. YMMV....
    Falcon15 likes this.
  4. RightHand

    RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    I've lost my entire birth family, have been unmarried for the better part of my life, and have only my daughter and 3 grandchildren to spice my life with meaning. When the question arises of when I would leave, the answer is dependent on whether those four were willing to drop everything and come with me. Life without them would have no meaning so if they were to stay, I too would stay.

    If, however, they trusted my judgment, we would meet melbo on the road before the rest of the world even considered there was a problem.
  5. tacmotusn

    tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

    I have friends and family all over the nation. I would bug out at the drop of a hat and go on a road trip.
  6. Falcon15

    Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

    Y'all would be welcome at the ol Falcon homestead.
  7. tsherry

    tsherry Monkey+++

    If you haven't done a test-pack and load and an evac, even just to see what fits and how long it takes with all of your required gear, you need to do this now.

    Tom S.
    What you will learn will amaze you.

    1 Th 4:11-12
  8. UGRev

    UGRev Get on with it!

    After what they (and I use they to convey liars) did in Chernobyl and now with Japan, there is no doubt in my mind, that no matter small THEY say it is, I am gone. There will be me and a blue streak behind me. Outta there.. see ya.. bye bye. I will let the lies run their course and the truth to come to light before I make any decisions on when/if to return. I'm not risking my safety and that of my families safety of a bunch of lying pieces of **** who's god is the almighty dollar.
  9. ghrit

    ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

    I guess I don't care if it is zombies, MZBs, Blue Helmets, DHS, BATFE, gamma rays, alpha or beta particles or neutrons that come my way. Up here, water can't flood me out even if the polar ice caps melt, and wind can only annoy me. No reason to do aught but hang out. I ain't leaving; y'all come.
  10. RightHand

    RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    My comments about leaving referred to a radioactive shower only. Otherwise, like ghrit, I would gather the young ones here on the homestead and weather the emergency. I suppose my actions would be determined by the level of threat. I'm not fully prepared for a long term radioactive event. Being so close to the New York nuke power plant, I should be. Following recent events, I will work to prepare for that as well. Maybe then, I will reassess when leaving makes more sense than staying.
  11. BAT1

    BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

    It would be according to how bad and how the govt would react. I'm not near any reactors, but Japan is too darn close already. Falcon my friend has a fish camp South of Lone Star gun range. That one of the first stops for a group of us.
  12. BAT1

    BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

    Good idea on the test pack and load out tsherry. You gotta know before you go.
  13. oth47

    oth47 Monkey+

    I have 3 nuclear plants within a hundred miles,I don't guess I'd run..
  14. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    At this point in my life, I would just stay. My wife is not able to travel and endure the hardships. I would just stay and comfort her until the end. I realize that I am going to lose her soon, in spite of all else. Her health is just not what it needs to be. I changed careers from a life I loved to what I do now just to be at home with her. I do not regret the decision that I made. I have continued to gather what we need to live out our lives here but there are always catastrophic events that change the best laid plans of mice and men. So be it. I have led a charmed and blessed life and have survived crisis that should have done me in. No fear; no regrets.
survivalmonkey SSL seal warrant canary