How Long Would Your Family Survive on ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by <exile>, Jun 4, 2008.

1. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

When doing some tightwad research this website popped up and I noticed this poll in the archives. I'd say sites like this are more representative of the general population as to how well people are prepared with these types of people (read: frugal) being at the top 10% IMO. As most of us are aware the general population is optimistic about how long their preps will last. It did make me chuckle that there wasn't a 6+ months category...apparently you're a hoarder at that point.

How long could your family survive on just the food you have in your cupboards, fridge and freezer right now?
    1. Six months if we're careful
    9%

2. Three months, maybe longer
    14%

3. A couple of months, tops
    17%

4. One month will be a stretch
    20%

5. Two to three weeks
    24%

6. One week, hopefully
    13%

7. We'll be lucky to make it through tomorrow!
    2%

Total Votes: 1578
    http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com/previous_weekly_polls.asp

2. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

Unfortunately, this is one poll who's results I believe...

3. toemag

toemag Monkey++

My oldest lad would clean us out in hour's, never mind day's. Our pantry is rather on the small side, when the lights go out, the fridge and freezer will be the first to be emptied and eaten. Anyone have any ideas on how to do pizzas when the oven is off.

Tony

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

5. USMCBulldog

USMCBulldog Monkey++

When our oven suddenly died last summer, we took the mostly uncooked pizzas out and put them in the propane grill on a pizza stone - they cooked up great! One of my friends actually cooked a thanksgiving turkey on a propane grill, so be sure to have a few extra propane bottles in your preps - they can come in very handy.

6. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

This might be a better option, a lot juicer than a pizza.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zu3FlOksBjY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zu3FlOksBjY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

What good is all that protien if you just spit it back out? I would have to cook that bogger before I would even consider putting it in my mouth.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"....just the food you have in your cupboards, fridge and freezer right now?"

For me, maybe two to three weeks. They didn't say anything about the preps in the walk-in closet, or those in the 'linen closet' at the other end of the casa, or the preps in the Gun Room....

You get the idea..... [lolol]

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm down to a month, max, and would really have to stretch to get that far. I've been reducing inventory, getting ready to move to the remote location. In about a month or a bit more, some put aways should start showing up each week.

10. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I hadn't thought about a sat dish in that way before, and bookmarked the link, thanks.

We were taught that you can eat stuff like that, they were to be cooked or swallowed whole, and left for the digestive system to deal with, double yuk on the big one.

Tony
    </exile>

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7