Hey yall, I’m new to tarp. For an Aframe do you have 2 guylines for the ridgeline and do you pull both of them out forming a V?
I think I understand the question, and the answer would be no, maybe, sometimes, it depends... Basically whatever is the minimum to keep your tarp from becoming a sail is the right answer, but issue A frame shelter halves, probably back as far as armies have used this configuration of tent, only have two guy lines. It also depends on where you're setting up, and how much cordage you have. (You can never have too much.) I've slept through thunderstorms under buttoned together WWII issue canvas GI shelter halves with two piece poles, and I thought I'd lost a Marine in our trenchline, because he'd set up a low poncho shelter between two engineer stakes using paracord. He did it so quickly that I thought he'd just vanished. I walked past him several times before I found him...asleep... and woke him...abruptly. My biggest concern when setting up a tarp shelter is always unexpected vehicle traffic. I like to be near large trees or otherwise impassible ground. Welcome aboard.
I generally use one. I keep a 30 ft paracord and five 6 ft pieces with each tarp as well as 3 small loops to make prusik knots with each tarp. That does me for most any set up.
Go here: https://www.naturereadyoutdoors.com/post/the-5-best-tarp-configurations-for-wilderness-survival There are more than a few ways to set up a tarp shelter, and it's up to your preference and environment to decide the most suitable. My personal favorite is the "Diamond Fly" or the "Diamond Pitch" shelter. All you need to do is secure the corner of the tarp to a tree with some rope, then stake all the other points down as you require, forming a kind of tee-pee around the tree, or a diamond layout. This is exceptionally strong and holds up really well in the wind. The only downside would be if you're in the desert or barren landscape with nothing to anchor to. If possible, you could use a single pole in the ground as your mounting point, but it would have to be solidly grounded.
helps one hell of a lot if you have tensioned springs on both ends - probably won't have to screw around adjusting anything ;;;;;;;