How many of you are constantly changing your gear/setup ?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Coyote Ridge, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Coyote Ridge

Coyote Ridge Monkey

Seems I'm always tinkering with my kit. Never been completely happy with my pack so, I'm going to try an old school pack for awhile. Any other recommendations for the future?

Zimmy, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm always coming up with new ideas, sometimes they work, some times not, but you never really know until you try! Certain things work just the way they are, but others could be tweaked or even re purposed into something else, ya never know!

Zimmy, Coyote Ridge and duane like this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I Never change the core set up but always tinkering around with the fringes.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I have a’winter’ kit and a ‘summer’ kit for Das Auto.

Chow, something to heat water / melt snow, shelter and a bedroll. The pieces parts may change slightly over time, the functionality remains the same...

5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Not changed much since 83 I still rock my H harness and my favorite Alice gear
    Though a do love a modern chest rig but with plates it can get heavy to hump if going a distance

Zimmy, oldawg and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I learn to hate plates a little more with each passing year LOL.

snake6264 and Zimmy like this.
  7. recon

recon Senior Member Founding Member

With every passing year I seem to adjust it somewhat. This getting older thing is crap! [beer]

Zimmy, oldawg and BTPost like this.
  8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Still using an alice medium and frame with pack shelf from the mid 70's. Pack has been updated a time or two and contents updated when expiration dates roll around or better technology comes along. Gear type and amounts pretty much still the same. But at near 76 years old even 46 lbs. means I'm gonna need wheels. Anyone got ideas on a briggs powered walker with all terrain wheels? :(

9. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I try to keep reviewing to see if anything in tech has either improved, lost weight, or covers an area I didn't have covered.

Past few years I've added a single handed tourniquet, blood clot powder and bandages, solar inflatable lamps, and plasma lighters to my kit. I'm constantly playing with self-defense ammo and tweeking what I carry there. When I go to the range, the old stuff goes down range and the new stuff goes into the magazines.

I've also put some electronics (2 way radios, AM/FM radio, kindle) in my homemade Faraday cage for my BOB.

Coyote Ridge likes this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. ED GEiN
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34
  12. Grandpa Patch
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  14. Shinzo
  15. phorisc
  16. DarkLight
  17. Fatum1965
  18. Fatum1965
  19. 3M-TA3
  20. Thunder5Ranch
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7