How Many People Around You Receive Food Stamps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, May 7, 2013.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Won't let me in...Then again i live in no ''County'' What ever that is ?

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

give me your zip code, and I will run it for you, if you wish.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Honestly, it's like a slow death. Michigan has been dying for years.
    It's death by thousands of cuts.
    Manufacturing offshoring, hostile business climate, decline property values, infrastructure decay (roads, power grid, public transport), government intrusion into daily life. If i had to guess, there are probably more people in Michigan on the public dole (welfare or government jobs) than those in the private sector.

Yep, it sucks. But if TSHTF, it will just be a minor inconvience as for a lot of people, the stuff has hit the fan for them personally already.

I can think of 3 families within 2 miles that have to make the choice between who's getting 2 meals and who's getting one each day.

Lots of vacant properties, lot of foreclosed homes that were bought for way way too much, now that prices have come back to normal (about a third of owed price) banks are still not letting the houses go for what they are worth, still trying to get what the idiots have into them. so they sit.

Hell, even the house me and bunch of friends rented when i went to college has been torn down, along with about 8-10 other properties on the same block.

Oh well, economic collapse, bring it, it's been here in michigan for over a dozen years. We might not even notice. Except if they stop the government dole. Then there will be lots of hungry and shelterless. Just glad I'm not too close to Flint, Detroit, Saginaw, Grand Rapids. Those places would suck to be in (currently and during a system collapse).

Michigan is a story of the Haves and Have Nots. Squallor of the inner city surrounded by suburbs of manicured lawns. Sometimes I wish i was even further out. But at least the cities are contained by the surburbs, that ought to keep the riffraff out long enough and offer a bit of attrition before they get here. The best place to be is in the northern woods, beyond a tank of gas from the city. Unfortunately for me, I'm within that 1 tank zone.

Motomom34 and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@gator45/70 ,About 13 percent of people in your county are in the program. It has grown 70% since 2000.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I live in the only state with no county's, I continue to remain dazed and confused.

lol... Thanks' man

6. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

My county is at 19 percent. Apparently, I need to do more work on fencing and clearing fields of fire for the coming zombie apocalypse.

7. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

5% in my area but that is not the bad part. I have on numerous different days been at our local Ralphs, and watched women using there WIC cards and then walk outside and hop into there Mercedes 500. I can truly understand if you need it but on these occasions it took all my restraint not to say something.

8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Aw, youse guys is all pikers! We're at 20%. up 93%! Jeez, that's 1 in 5! Look around at 10 folks and 2 are on SNAP! I'm soooooo darn nice to help support these folks!

GRRRRR

Kajun

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That sentence is depressing. This is America, WTH. In our county the schools collect backpacks and then they fill them with food for certain kids because that is all the kids will have to eat over the weekend. This is insane, we are supposed to be the greatest country on earth and our stock market is through the roof. Earnings are more positive then negative yet the average citizen is seeing their way of life dying. Well this all just upsetting.

VisuTrac, kellory and tulianr like this.
  10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I think everyone should get this info every tax season.
    You cant manage what you cant measure.....

tulianr and kellory like this.
  11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

10% in my county, up 196% since 2000. My guess the increase is based on possibly raising the amount of income earned for eligibilty and an increased amount of unemployment.

Not as bad as I thought it might have been.

12. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

OMG! Redneck chic! I love it! Hey, DW, you'll share, right? [OO]

13. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Can't get it to work, at work (big surprise). Pretty sure that while I don't know the exact figures, I can figure out the political leanings of the vast majority of food stamp recipients in this area. ;)

Sadly, I know quite a few military couples who easily qualify for the program, but refuse to use it, solely because of the politics involves, and the stigma attached to getting food stamps. Personally, I'd rather see our illustrious politicians just take better care of our military folks.

BTPost and tulianr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7