How many spare rounds in shotgun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, May 11, 2019.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I think the break-in troubles on the Saiga and other AK platforms is due to the friction from the fresh Parkerized finish on everything.
    Once broken in, they seem to be trouble free. On nearly all new AK clones I find the bolt will hang up on the hammer if it's eased forward after re-cocking. Rifles built with surplus parts or with several thousand rounds through them don't have even a hammer dragging sensation as the bolt slides forward. The surfaces of the bolt carrier and hammer glide across each other.

2. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

@ Bandit 99- The Saiga 12 is hard to find these days due to the Russia sanctions. However there are Chinese copies.the DDI 12 or Catamount 12. Both retail for close to $700, although you might find them for less. They have great reviews in Firearms news. I've held them, but never shot one. All supposed to be reliable (as is the Saga).

I can recommend you investigate the Tristar brand. It is a Turkish brand imported into Kansas City. I bought a 12 GA Tristar Cobra Force which is their version of a Mossberg. It was new but I got it for about 50% of MSRP at auction. It is well built and rugged. With 13/4 inch (mini-12 guage shells, either Challenger or Aquila brand) you can fit 10 buckshot or slugs in it. plus one in the pipe. (10+1). Due to some FFL restrictions, you can't put an extended ammo tube on it, but if SHTF, there are some illegal mods posted on the Internet that could be printed ahead of time. Basically adds a few more shells in either 1/34, 2.5, or 3" 12 ga. Note: You can't use mini-shells in anything but a pump, and not all of them digest them well.

Tristar makes a really nice .410.Viper Bronze semi-auto that uses 5 shot rotary mags. It was just featured in Firearms News. I'm thinking of picking one up for my wife. Their MSRP is mid 800's, but you can really get them for a couple of hundred under advertised MSRP.

OBTW, customer service is great. When I got my new Cobra Force, the dealer didn't have the choke that was supposed to be included. (Tough luck, it's an auction). I called customer service and they mailed one free the next day. Can't beat service like that. The Cobra Force has a little bit of a gimmick built in. It has a spring assist that basically you can rack the shotgun back and let the spring push the forearm forward. Takes a bit of getting used to, but is a fraction of a second faster than just a regular pump. It is easy enough to take the spring out and use it as a regular pump, as it is designed to operate that way too.

Tristar also makes a home defense set up that can function as semi-auto AND as a pump called the TEC-12. I have never seen one, but I'd really like to get my hands on one and try it. It runs around $500.

I didn't really NEED another shotgun, as I have various semi-autos and pumps in my safe from 50+ years of shooting (and inheriting some). However, I wanted one set up for home defense, and the Tristar Cobra Force was an inexpensive way to get one to experiment with various light/laser combinations (from my supply that I already had) and not have a bunch of money tied up.

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Navyair Thanks! A very good write-up. I knew about the Russian sanctions and, frankly, don't see them coming down anytime soon as I know Putin is in the Crimean to stay; nevertheless, perhaps I can get a used Saiga as I am very interested in them now and want one. I don't think there is any other means to obtain one but did here a rumor that some company is now building them here in the USA to get around the sanction so I'll look into that as soon as I have 2 minutes to myself.

I am especially interested in a Tristar .410.Viper semi-auto for my wife for home defense and intend to check out the specs and pricing today. Thanks!

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Bandit99 and Zimmy like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, this guy certainly is smitten with the Citadel RS-S1 and its cost point at ~$600 is a definite crowd pleaser. I will do a bit more research to see how others see it and what aftermarket add-ons are available but it sounds like a better gun than the Saiga. Definitely a good video as went through everything and it's a very nice looking gun. Thanks!

EDIT: I have contracted the Tavor X95 bug as my birthday/retirement gift so the RS-S1 might have to wait a bit. LOL!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Zimmy like this.
  6. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

I really like my 1981 Remington 870 Wingmaster , in 12 gauge with its 18 inch Improved Cylinder bore.
    Its as is and no "Mods" as I like how it shoots and carries .
    That said I may add a sling....also right now it has a stock ammo slide made of neoprene ...I want one of leather , just 'cause.

So for rounds on hand...I have 4 or 5 in the gun and 5 more on the stock.
    I do have a canvas "Haversack" with more ammo...How much more...I ain't sure ...I shoot the ammo from the bag and then toss more in later...
    If I was carrying this shotgun for a "living" , then I'd keep a better count.
    Andy
    DSC06837.

Ganado, Alf60, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7