How much ammo is enough ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

You bet, the more fun you can have too! ;)

techsar and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Marbles and arrows rocks fishing weights clay balls hex nuts jaw breakers cut off rebar all thread Pana darts atlatl darts my ammo is covered and a lot of that can be fired out of a single shot shot gun with ffg as the propellent

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

You do know there exist individuals that would accuse you of committing the most terrible blasphemy imaginable for even asking...

right? :LOL:

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Are we counting roomfulls or truckloads?

I say "seventeen" :)

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You'll know when you have to much when you try to swim with it!
    Other than that 500 for the pistols
    1000 for the rifles.

Ura-Ki and techsar like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

I tend to think that ammo is the important thing to store. Most of my neighbors with hunting rifles, shotguns, ar-15 etc seem to have 100 rounds or less and if anything really happens will soon have some very expensive clubs for a weapon. I tend to ignore all of the military load outs as they always count on the ability to resupply. For a more realistic concept of WSHTF and the real world, read about the guerrilla fighters in the Philippines during WW II. An ammo supply for hunting would be pellets for a pellet gun, at least a couple thousand, a couple thousand 22 shells and a couple hundred 30-06 for a bolt action, a lee loader and at least 3,000 primers, powder for that amount of shells, and lead and lube to make 3,000 bullets. My great grandfather brought powder, caps and minne balls for the rifle he brought back in 1865. I shot some of them up in the late 1940's and they still worked. Have no idea how much was from the 1860's and how much was later. My grandfather had a cartridge box, wood with leather cover, and used paper to make his own loads. He had a lever action winchester from the 1890's, but still hunted with cap and ball on the farm to save money or because he liked to. If you are fighting a defensive action on your own land, no given amount will be enough if you survive, if you die, it won't make any difference to you, although it might to your survivors. I think at least a few thousand of your main calibers, or the ability to reload that amount will be the minimum necessary to attempt to defend your self and that leaves out training others in the use of weapons. Back to the old conclusion, never can have too much ammo.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70, GOG and 3 others like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

That tell's a tale on how much pistol ammo vs rifle ammo you should consider stocking. ;)

8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

What about the pain involved if you had to leave it behind for some reason? I can picture sobbing followed by more sobbing. Meanwhile Bishop and I will be skipping along looking for sweet rocks. [afro]

GOG likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

DSCN4252.JPG Workable range for a sling shot is not too promising compared to that of a .223 or a .308 .
    Compound the fact you can't cast a projectile as stealthy as a fire arm.
    Individual efforts with substantial fire power attacking the out side of a structure have more advantage than a structure full of defenders.
    Call it the sitting duck strategy .
    Proper defense provides both interior defense and exterior defense .
    Both are vulnerable, but with out both, even a loan wolf can be some what successful.

Not that a sling shot has no place , but IMO it should be used for the vast capabilities it is recognized for, but as a solid defensive tool ,that's leaving one too much out in the open..I keep a sling shot in my bag in a plastic bag on the bike, as a tool of last resort .
    I just built this one to replace it.

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

15 yard penalty for using the words "enough" and "ammo" in the same sentence.

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For some reason 100 or even a 1000 rounds is not preps, that's not even practice.
    In a single fire fight cops will spend 1000's of rounds and not hit the perp, and a lot of you are only storing 100 or so ?
    I've got 100 boxes (50 ea) of .22 and that's not a really serious stash .
    When that adrenaline kicks in and your knees a shaken ,a normally solid shooter can't hit the broad side of the barn standing inside.
    "Don Knots shakiest gun" ain't so funny in real life .
    Though the movie exaggerated the event ,fact of the matter is even with training people not accustomed to violence still mess up.
    A lot of ammo is wasted , count on it.
    IMO when the collapse occurs , it will be many years before things get some what civil . and that doesn't mean ammo production will be on line again either. the more people that have guns the more that we need to be capable of defending from.
    Remember the liberals not to mention all the other groups that have no trouble creating trouble to get their way.. whether there is any law or not.
    That is a lot of defense to consider .IMO

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do you think that this is just a BIT of an over-exaggeration?
    In the first place, NO civilian LEO carries more that about 50 rounds, while on Duty..... I challenge you to produce more than TWO Leo Incidents, where more than 250 Rounds of LEO Ammunition was expended in the WHOLE Incident.... Even the Kommiefornia Bank Robbery never even came close to 1000 LEO Rounds expended....

jim2 likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

While I cannot list specific incidents,
    LEOs have told me them selves of some of their events, telling me how it went down.
    One of the reasons they push one another to cary the same gun, is to be able to share mags.
    Granted my info comes from the boys In San Bernardino and various retired LEOs in my home town. maybe and exaggeration on their part .
    However there is a youtube about learning the warrior mentality ,pretty much saying the same thing .

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That tells me that someone didn't have enough and he will be lucky if the other guy does.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I knew boys that the second they herd "shots fired" , regardless of where they were at they'd be blazing their way to the scene just to participate.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have found that MOST Big City LEOs have very BAD Range Records, and many take two or three tries, to Qualify, even with the relaxed Qualification Requirements, these days.... Handgun accuracy is an acquired SkillSet, and having been a RangerMaster at one of the largest Outdoor Gun Ranges in the PNW, for many years, It never ceases to amaze me, at the lack of Skill with a Handgun, many LEOs demonstrated, in my presents, while trying for their annual Qualification Shoot... My local LEO, in Alaska, is easily, a much better HandGunner, than 95% of those i saw, as a RangeMaster.... He is however an avid Hunter & Trapper, as well as fully SWAT Qualified. His detachment Commander is also a quality HandGunner, in his own right.... Nice to know that the folks who do the job out here, are well suited to the use of their tools.... I have ALWAYS been a "One Shot, One Kill" kind of shooter. whether it be bottles at 40 Yds, with a HandGun, or Paper PiePlates at 200 Yds with a Rifle.... Now Alaskachick is better with a HandGun, than I am, NO DOUBT.... but with a Rifle, I do better than her, Hands down, and ALL Day long.....

jim2, Tully Mars, GOG and 2 others like this.
  17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I looked once for incidents where mags or ammo were exchanged. The only incident I found was the SLA shoot out in LA, and from what I recall the guy had to down load a mag and reload his. The average cops carries 35 to 50 rounds on his person. About 1 to 2 minutes ammo if you have a target, you don't give it away in that situation.

18. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

How many critters do you plan to kill.
    How many gunfights do you plan to win.

Therein lies the answer. :D

GOG likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I plan to be as effective as I possibly can be,
    as prepared as one possibly can be,
    as we'll informed as one possibly can be,
    as healthy as one possibly can be, regardless of age.
    The fight begins now, before the assault is at the door.
    Making ready and being diligent .
    All too often because there is no current storm,people tend to get comfortable and lazy ,
    I collect fire wood year round build my water storage year round , as well as other needed preparations, year round.
    I enjoy earning new things and experiment with skills I may never actually need but your never know.
    As a mechanic I had to take training for stuff I had no opportunity to work on, but the job required it.
    Working on a production line was a whole new experience, and training was put to work that moment, and so long as one is placed in that position.
    Learning stuff ,as a kid , with no real time use for the information, seems waste of time.
    For instance , I may not have the combat experience of others, however by listening closely and paying attention to what's being said, I have a relatively clear concept of what a war zone entails .
    I realize very well , that I may not survive a fire fight . I don't have the warrior mentality .
    In my early years I've gone hunting and run out of ammo.
    That's not a good feeling.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When there were only indians in this country ,they had range wars over hunting territory .
    Now with far more people there will be a more intensive fight over space to survive on and those hoping to take it from you .
    How much ammo do you need ?
    I believe that it will take a more aggressive interest in maintaining security .
    Not looking for trouble, but seeing to, that trouble knows well enough to keep their distance.
    And having a team that has something invested, and serious about their security.
    Supporting a team takes lot of preps, and lots of people behind them supporting there efforts .
    Personally I cannot see a person defending a home by them self, its just not possible .
    The aggressive are hoping for the passive to simply give up and lay down a die rather then fight to live .
    There are many tricks to the taking down of the passive,and not having the savvy to realize they are being set up by a predator.
    Survival is not a single fire fight but continuous ones at unpredictable levels, from one to several aggressors with various weapons and skills.
    The best assumption one can make is that every one else out there is better trained and armed than your self.
    Not to give in, but to train better and develop a warrior mentality ,and have a team with the same aim .
    That means a lot more than a few hundred rounds, especially now that guns have become so popular .

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 2, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft