How much ammo is enough ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. john316

john316 Monkey+++

and now for the last word
    from
    Woodpile Report 469 14march 217

Is 1,000 rounds for your battle rifle enough for a Mad Max collapse? Let's do some fifth grade arithmetic. Twenty rounds a week is 1,040 rounds a year. Or say a hundred rounds a month, which is 1,200 rounds a year. About the same. Figure three years and it comes to 3,120 to 3,600 rounds. Call it 3,000 rounds. So, 1,000 rounds seems low. If it's too much you end up with a surplus and bragging rights. If it's not enough you end up dead. Or you may end up dead with a surplus.

Look at it another way, a Mad Max collapse with extra Mad. One firefight a month using 160 rounds each, which is 8 twenty-round magazines, comes to 1,920 rounds per year. Let's be optimistic and assume you can survive thirty six gun battles—thirty five sure, but thirty six? Figuring three years it totals 5,760 rounds. If the premises are reasonable, and who knows if they are, a stash of 3,000 to 6,000 rounds would be about right.
    More than you have?
    Cheer up, it's a near certainty something other than gunfire will get you anyway.
    Next item

techsar, GOG and arleigh like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Although I agree with the sentiment value of "more is better" when it comes to ammo and reloading supplies, one mustn't assume the rule of entropy. That is to say, anybody getting into "firefights" on a weekly, monthly, or even yearly basis stands a very good chance of turning up dead in short order. It doesn't matter how well prepared you are or well trained, sooner or later the reaper comes collecting. I can only advise you to assess your own situation and turn to rely on stealth, concealability, and evasion as primary traits to assume instead of an incredible arsenal and massive stockpile of ammunition to save you. The bottom line is, defensive posture works best only when reinforcements can be expected. If you're alone, the risks involved with taking a stand are extremely not in your favor.

techsar, Tully Mars, GOG and 2 others like this.
  3. john316

john316 Monkey+++

i also go with the "stealth, concealability, and evasion" school
    "Cheer up, it's a near certainty something other than gunfire will get you anyway.
    Next item"
    yes

techsar and GOG like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Don't assume I'm not cheerful. I have a short vacation due to the winter storm and I am accomplishing a great deal of house cleaning and forum maintenance. ;)

My bet is on the Gestapo, but that's just a guess. [patr]

On the topic of ammo, I've been focusing more on long range accuracy lately.
    With a ballistic coefficient of .600 (.308) these 155gr. Alco bullets are impressive
    155 gr Rebated Boat Tail - Alco Precision BulletsAlco Precision Bullets
    And my 7mm 168gr. are just around a .764 BC which is enough to make me weep with joy.
    7mm Bullets - Alco Precision BulletsAlco Precision Bullets

jim2, Tully Mars, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

After years of being and seeing this question asked I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't one answer. The answer depends on many things, all of which have been covered in this string already.
    For me anything less than 1,000 rns per wep is laughable-but that's me. Firearms are a big part of my life, so I never have"enough". I cannot give anyone an accurate count of what I have loaded because I gave up trying to keep track a long time ago. I can say that its more than one, but less than 100 fully loaded 1 ton pick up loads the last time I moved. That is loaded ammo, not components
    they are different category. That is more than enough, more than I could ever hope to carry or cache and hopefully will be passed on to the kids or may be taken by the zombies, I don't know. But until I assume room temperature I will continue to acquire ammo.

It is, but still cheaper than buying it unless you happen to score a deal of some sort.

Pat's Reloading - Prices

New Military Powders for 50 BMG — Just $4.88 per Pound « Daily Bulletin

50 BMG Ammo Supply - 50 cal Ammunition for the rifle and machinegun"

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The reason for a significant cache of ammo is to match the potential threat,,IMO
    Threats i can think of off the top, are,
    Liberals wanting over throw.
    Those that did not prep wanting your food,
    Raiders taking avantage of the opportunity ,
    Opportunists looking to set up their kingdom .
    Muslims , killing any thing not Muslim ,

Legion489, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You can't be infinitely prepared in anything, but you can be better prepared than others, and when it comes to defense, your enemies. If you are facing organized professionals with a lot of resources you are going to lose no mater how much ammo you have. For the rest, however, you just need to have enough to significantly outnumber them. If they only had a few dozen rounds prior to SHFT they will soon be effectively disarmed unless they can resupply. I think most that will resupply by looting will also waste the majority of it. More is always better, unless you have to move it....

If you have significant reserves you should distribute it so all your eggs are not in one basket. If you are forced out of your home, where will you go to regroup? That's a good place for a cache along with caches near your bugout location if you have one.

Due to the fact that the media did everything it could to brainwash us of a Clinton win, most arms and ammunition manufacturers went LONG on production. With the Clinton loss sales have dropped sharply and there are deals all over the place for both. If you have the cash THIS IS THE TIME TO BUY. The political pendulum will swing the other way in 4 or 8 years. The 2A will come under even worse attack, prices will soar, and you will be kicking yourself that you didn't take advantage.

This window of opportunity will be gone in as little as a few months as manufacturers dump excess inventory. Don't skip your bills, but I would urge everyone to divert any prep money into ammo (and arms/parts) while it's relatively cheap.

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Been on a reading kick on reduced loads and cast bullets the last few days and need to try some when the snow is gone. A lead cast and lubricated 308 bullet at about 150 grain with around 10 to 12 grains of red dot is said to work in many lever or bolt actions at about the level of the old 30 30 round. In modern rifles it is said to work in at least the 30-06, 308, 303, etc and with 7,000 grains to a lb, one lb of powder is in the 500 to 600 rounds range, I have about 50 lbs of wheel weights tucked away, and a few thousand primers wouldn't cost too much. Similar results are told for red dot in pistol loads at around 5 grains and that is about 1,000 pistol rounds. Don't know if any of them will function in a semi auto, but hope to find out as in theory about 4 molds will supply a lot of different rifles and pistols with at least a low velocity training and hunting round, a Lee hand loader will reload them, and the cases should last thru a lot of reloads as the pressures are low. Might be a way to help an old man survive if TSHTF.. You might accept the ability to reload 15 to 20,000 rounds as a buy in to your group and to be at least think about feeding the old fool and his wife.

jim2 and GOG like this.
  9. ssonb

ssonb Confederate American

The only time in your life you find out that you "Have too much ammo!!!" Is when your house is on fire.........

10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The only time you have too much ammo is when you leave your gun safe open and your wife walks by. Or the gun store calls and says your 5000 reds ammo is in and you need to pick it up.

GOG likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Having several cashes of ammo inside and out ,not a bad idea.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

My numbers, FOR STOCK, are:
    500 for EACH Handgun you own.
    1000 for EACH long gun you own.
    About 5,000 in rimfire .22 for EACH of my rifles and pistol. (you can feed a family with a .22 very easily)

Does not count ammo "on hand" for daily use.

3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Remember that a gun's value is based on it's usefulness.
    no ammo, no gun.

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Awww, I dunno. My Colt M1911-A1 would make an awesome bludgeon, given that the thing weighs damned near 2.5 pounds EMPTY (with magazine).

Sorry...carry on.

[peep]

Homer Simpson, Tully Mars and GOG like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When AlaskaChick was going to Union Meetings on 1st Ave in downtown Seattle, she carried her Dan Wesson .357, with the 2" Barrel fitted, in her purse... She stated that if some miscreant accosted her, she would smack that Dufus, " Up side the Head" with her purse, and if he was still wiggling, after that, she would then retrieve the FireArm, from the purse, and then finish him off, with a "Double Tap" to the head... Fortunatly, she never encountered such a human, with evil intent.....

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Brings new meaning to, "hitting some one with your purse"

18. luv2ride

luv2ride Monkey++

How much is enough ammunition? Just a little bit more.

Homer Simpson and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I believe I have enough .22 long rifle to keep us in game for the rest of my life and my sons life. Defense is quite ANOTHER STORY. I SIMPLY CANT AFFORD ENOUGH DEFENSE AMMO. I buy it when I can , shotgun, 5.56 and 30-06. Always looking for sales.

GOG likes this.
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Get into reloading if you haven't already. Buy components in bulk. It will really stretch your ammo dollars.

Kingfish likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]