How much ammo is enough ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

ReLoading will stretch your Ammunition Dollars more than any other thing on earth... Yes there is an investment, required, in both time, and money, to get started.... However once the original Investment has been paid, the cost per Round will be better than any Sale you could imagine. The secondary benefit of ReLoading, is that you can custom load, with designed loading for each of your FireArms, individually.... This allows for loadings that produce efficient use of Powder, and no blinding muzzleflash, in pistols with short barrels. You can make the Highest Muzzle Velocity, without blowing wasted unburnt Powder all over the ground in front of you... With Rifles, you can find "The Sweet Spot" that provides the Best Accuracy, for the fitted Barrel, on that weapon, which more than likely is NOT the highest Muzzle Velicity, for that Cartridge. When you buy manufactured Ammunition, you get none of these advantages, and rely on the OEM's best guess at what will work in your FireArm... Which is ALWAYS a compromise......

jim2, chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

BTPost ,
    You are very right , in fact it brings with it a greater appreciation of the chemistry and art of fire arms. more than simply making something go bang.
    For fun I was thinking of taking some WWII 30/06 rounds I found that dad had collected and since I don't own a 30/06 pull the bullets and power and see if it is still workable , if not, the bullets them selves can be applied to something else. the brass can go to salvage.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

If they are GI rounds from WWII I'd put money on them being good, depending on how they were stored of course. If they look good you might be better off trading them for a calibre you do own. I have a bandoleer of '06 AP with the same year headstamp as my '03 and it's still good.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Virtually certain it's still good. Find a friend with and M1 and have fun.

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Put a magnet to them, You may have better than you think!

oldawg likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'll give it a try.
    thanks

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'll second on reloading to save $$$. For those new to rolling your own, most of the equipment is high quality and very reliable. I'd have no issue buying used and it will save you a lot of money. That goes for dies as well as the presses - unless rusty it's unlikely that any of it is worn past providing good use. I have a 1950's or early 60's RCBS junior that's still going strong as well as a Dillon RL-550B from the 1980's. These will easily outlive me and likely be working until some idiot sells them for scrap after I die. Same for some dies I have from the 60's - 80's.

I've found that Craigslist doesn't tend to have a lot of listings in my area, so I recommend joining whatever forums are in your area. For example calguns and northwest firearms covers the Pacific Northwest and California between them, and there is always a lot of used reloading equipment for sale.

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Now that obama is out of office , gun sales are down ,and likely second hand unused loading equipment will show up for sale.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

hmmm.... thought I saw reports that sells actually increased slightly?

seems the left is now buying weapons and created the slight increase?

something about NICS background checks increasing?

10. BTPost

That was on "The Gun Feed" last week...

11. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

One round left to carry away from the Frey, after what I carried into the Frey to start with, works for me.

Math question: if I expend 2 rounds on target, and I expended those rounds upon a target that had a standard load of 210 rounds, how many rounds of ammunition have I gained to trade for ammunition to feed my rifle by the time I've expended 100 rounds?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    GOG likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

More than you can readily carry, assuming you shot 50 "standard" targets.

M118LR likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm like you ghrit, If I have to count my rounds then I'm not doing it right!

14. M118LR

That is part of the problem. Ammunition acquisition via survivalist tactics lends itself to the fortification philosophy of the retreater.
    Survivalism - Wikipedia
    "For a time in the 1970s, the terms survivalist and retreater were used interchangeably. While the term retreater eventually fell into disuse, many who subscribed to it saw retreating as the more rational approach to conflict-avoidance and remote "invisibility". Survivalism, on the other hand, tended to take on a more media-sensationalized, combative, "shoot-it-out-with-the-looters" image."

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Hollywood has contributed its share of discounting 'survivalists' as loopy crazies .....[​IMG]:rolleyes:

As to eking out the maximum from one's ammunition resources, reloading is certainly a sensible option for many practical applications....particularly in training and maintaining marksmanship skills. Reloading equipment does not have to be exorbitantly expensive...particularly for shot shell reloading. Bullet casting is also a worthwhile skill to complement one's reloading efforts.

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. M118LR

The reality of the amount of ammo needed is based on the expenditure rate per year. I've known folks that expend as few as 3 rounds a year, so a box of 20 30-30's lasts years. Competition shooters that expend hundreds of rounds every week will need to have thousands of rounds per year. Milsurp, reloads, factory the choice is all based on how many rounds and to what purpose you expend them per year. Make an honest assessment of how many rounds you actually expend per week and attempt to attain a one year supply. JMHO.

arleigh likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

What I'm anticipating ,is that those that have been spending ammo like it's always going to be there, post SHTF they run out just after the resources have all dried up .
    On the other hand those that should have invested something practice, didn't , and their resources are dried up in a single fire fight, You and I know that the potential exist, that there will likely be hundreds of skirmishes .
    By one's self that's one thing, but it takes a group to maintain a defense ,because it will most likely be groups that are raiding.
    Each person in that group needs the discipline to spend his ammo as conservatively as possible .

oldman11 and Tully Mars like this.
  18. M118LR

Sounds allot like the average trooper requires 30+ rounds of 5.56 NATO to effect a threat elimination, yet those issued 7.62 NATO average less than 2 rounds to eliminate threats. Those issued 7.62 NATO have to display a better aptitude ( more training/ practice) in order to be issued the 7.62. I've found that the biggest trouble with anticipating something, is that the reality of the situation ends up being something other than anticipated. But marksmanship is a perishable skill, and a balance of practice over time is required. Rounds expended are sort of like runway behind you. LOL.

jim2, sec_monkey, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
  19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Murphy is alive and well.

No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength (no plan survives contact with the enemy). - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  20. BTPost

It is because how the Troops are trained.... If you look at how the Navy, trains their Spec Ops People. (SEALS) They NEVER "Spray & Prey" and adhere to the "One Shot, One Kill" School of Combat... Which states, First Shot eliminates the combatant, from the battle.... The Second Shot, makes him DEAD, and the Third Shot, thru the Head, Is insurance that he IS DEAD..... and it really doesn't matter which weapon is employed by the Operator.... That is why these folks carry Multiple different class of Weapons, on each Combat Mission. Each will have their Primary Weapon, a Pistol. (Usually Suppressed) and a Combat Carbine.... They are trained to use the best weapon, for the Job at hand, in any moment. These folks NEVER want to have a downed combatant, to wake up behind them, and reengage in the Battle... Normal Troops do NOT get that type of Training.... They get to punch Paper, until they are fairly competent to hit what they are shooting at, and that is considered Good Enough....

jim2, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]