How much ammo is enough ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Never having finished as much training as a "SEAL" (SO), I was just wondering if you had a typo during the Primary Weapon a Pistol? Even though it was a long time ago, I still recall the pecking order as Battle Rifle down to bare hands. The only time a Pistol would become a primary weapon was if your knife was the secondary. Or did I miss something of grammatical importance?

2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I have guns in .22,(20000rds).22 tcm(1050 rds).32 sw(170 rds).32 sw long(400 rds).32 acp(250 rds).32 hr mag(550 rds).327 mag(200 rds) .380 acp(600 rds).38 special(600 rds).357 mag(1000 rds) 9 mm(1500 rds)40 sw(1000 rds)44 special(200 rds).44 mag(600 rds) .45 acp (1000).45 long colt(750 rds)7.62/28 nagant (1100 rds).243(400 rds).270(500 rds) 45/70(300 rds) 12 ga(500 rds assorted) 410 (300 rds assorted), I ought to be able to find ammo somewhere. I try to buy every week more so when the grandkids show up. Just two box a week plus what you shoot and it soon adds up. When your money is short buy .22 and when you have extra buy other calibers.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You misunderstand my reference.... Each member has a specific assignment during a Mission, and EACH carry Multiplr Weapons, during those Missions, that are SPECIFIC to their assignment for that Mission. A Pistol (usually surpressed) certainly can be "A Primary Weapon" for a specific member, on a specific Mission. This does NOT mean his only Weapon, just the one he needs for his specific Assignment. Just like the Overwatch Member will have a Long Range Rifle as his Primary Weapon, and a Carbine, as well as a Pistol, as backup firepower. Not all members will be carrying Breaching Materials, each members LoadOut is determined by his specific part of the Mission, and by his Secondary, or Backup Assignment, to cover for loss of the Primary Member for that specific part of the Assignment... ALWAYS REMEBER, " Two is One, and One is None"....

M118LR and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  4. M118LR

Forward Observer,Point, Trail, Radio, Saw, Overwatch, Breacher, Snatch & Grab? In my day, every team member had to be able to take over any role on the team in order to make the mission sucessful. Guess your right, I'm not understanding.

As to load outs: From what I recall everyone carried rounds for the SAW, and there never was enough.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Yard Dart likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

What would be cool on the M4 is making the selector in 2 stage trigger , first break semi auto ,second break on the same pull a 3 round burst .
    It would makes up for the split second decision, shifting between modes. much like a throttle if you will.

6. M118LR

What would be cool on an M4, is doing away with anything other than safe & full auto, and teaching the operator to let off after a three round burst. Talk about split second decisions.

Tully Mars, arleigh and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Perhaps the Fostech Echo Trigger?

Tully Mars and VisuTrac like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

SAW ?

M118LR likes this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have both full and semi auto. Over all I prefer semi auto. I prefer aiming to spraying and a semi can still give effective cover fire. I'd also for the same weight rather shoot one 7.62x51 over a 3 round burst of 5.56.

M118LR and Brokor like this.
  11. M118LR

Squad Automatic Weapon.
    Let me knock off a little of the Salt Crust. M60 Machine gun: M60 machine gun - Wikipedia
    Americas youth might have a different opinion. I'd reference "The Stoner" but perhaps that's only Sailors Lexicon?

Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Always liked the M249. I remember when it was newly introduced and the only one in our unit was carried with a cover because it was a "secret". But the venerable M60, no matter how heavy and cumbersome (even for the AG) it was just so damned impressive when you ripped the trigger. It doesn't happen any longer, but back when we were Infantry recruits, we had to crawl under M60 live fire at night just 1 meter off the ground. I actually witnessed more than one look of stark terror that night, and quite a few smirks of joy through the mud smeared faces.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Oh. Was gonna ask if you meant chain, crosscut, or rip.

14. M118LR

One or two man?

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Not sure I'd lose the Semi position, but I understand your meaning.
    Speaking for myself and others I have taught, it really doesn't take long to master the 2-3 shot burst on an M16 if one is really trying. Besides that, it really makes those poppers drop. The thing I work on is trying to keep the group as small as I can, not bulls eye type groups, but keeping the 3 shots in the A zone repeatedly works for me.

Haven't used their system but I did install and test this one for a friend:
    Franklin Armory™ BFSIII™, Binary Firing System III™ Trigger
    Wasn't a hard install, and with practice it works like the video. Don't think you are gonna be "full auto Joe" outta the box. It takes practice to get on and off the trigger smoothly and quickly. Makes awesome double taps a breeze. At just over 400 dollars it isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than a legal select fire weapon, and IMO, better than a bump fire type stock system.

A Stoner 62 is on my dream list, but I'd be happy with a 63;)
    I know the M60 is far from perfect, and often needs a bit of tuning, but when running properly it DESTROYS Shit in a hurry. There is just no comparison to a 5.56mm calibre belt gun. But I guess that's true for pretty much any 7.62mm belt feed of good quality.

Yard Dart, M118LR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Reloading is on the burner now for 30-06 and 5.56 . Got the press and are stocking primers, brass, powder and bullets. Saved all of our used brass as well. It will triple our reserves.

17. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I have always thought in terms of "battle load," or to be more specific, how much can I carry/ Or, we carry, if there are more than one person loading out? I have enough for a local patrol or bug out but not so much that I can't be effective or move locations...in case of bug out...

M118LR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

good point IMHO...

thinkin if ya have enough to last awhile but no transport... buggin out would result in leaving some behind... maybe too much?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One mind set I've experienced through the years is, some people rely on the resources of others .
    Some mechanics don't have, or won't buy, or unwilling to bring, all their own tools ,borrowing from every one else .
    As convenient as it is for a team to carry all the same gun and ammo ,some one with this mindset and a spray and pray method of shooting ,how much are you goin to keep giving him , to keep the enemy at bay ?
    Where as if every one is responsible for the reloading of their own ammo and their own particular gun ,they may take their shots with a lot more care , knowing that when they are out there is no more to fall back on from any one else. Remembering the a fire team may not all have experience or proper training. I was a purchasing agent for several companies I worked for and had to have the discipline to remember my accountability with what I was tasked with. It's really easy to be spending other peoples money.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Barney Fife 'em.
    I'll install a mag block restricting him to 3 rounds;)

All kidding aside, you bring up good points. Hopefully they are addressed in training long before anything gets serious. If not, I would not have any problem either reassigning that member to a non combatant role or unassing him period. That would be my 1st choice. I run a tight ship. If you don't have the discipline to get off the trigger (something simple and basic) how can we trust that member to have the discipline in other matters such as food, security, ect?? If repeated attempts don't change their ways, unass them straightaway.

jim2 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]