How much does a class 3 license cost?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Blackjack, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Blackjack

    Blackjack Monkey+++

    How much does a class 3 license cost?
  2. Tango3

    Tango3 Aimless wanderer

    I dink its a couple of hundred a year, why? getting worried??I'm sure atf's got a website
  3. Blackjack

    Blackjack Monkey+++

    Na, just curious. I'd love to own an smg (ww2 era Thompson), couldn't afford it.... but I'm curious how much the liscence costs. I see the Thompsons are going for about 13 grand on Guns America.
  4. 155gunner

    155gunner Monkey+++ Founding Member

    All you need is a tax stamp which is $200. You only pay it when the weapon is transferred, not annually.
  5. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    To clarify a point, there is no class lll license per say; rather you can get licensed to deal in NFA weapons (Title ll) and are generally refered to as a class lll dealer. This involves an FFL, a special occupation tax, and other hoops to jump through every year but enables you to sell directly to military or police departments and to handle transfers for private sales. This is probably what you are referring to and there is no license to be had or required to legally own a machinegun or other NFA weapon. This is a simple tax stamp, not a license, just a plain blue stamp that costs $200.00 per weapon and has hoops and strings attached to buy it. The federal government is prevented from infringing on our rights to keep and bear arms by the second ammendment but they didn't say anything about taxing them so they put a big tax on it and made it subject to burning hoops to jump through and gives you no recourse for delinquent payment should you get caught with one that isn't taxed other that go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00...go straight to jail.
  6. Blackjack

    Blackjack Monkey+++


    I thought you had to spend gobs on a license to buy one even before the taxes!

    So does this mean that for just $200 (tax stamp) above the cost of the subgun, or silencer, or sawed off, that the weapon can be yours?

    And does owning one open you up to batf inspections, or is that just for dealers?
  7. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    It's just a one time stupid tax stamp and no inspections as long as you can produce the stamp every time you are asked at a range or elsewhere. If you sell the weapon, the whole process starts over again for the buyer.
  8. Blackjack

    Blackjack Monkey+++

    Cool, thanks for the info.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

    Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

    Its $5.00 for a sawed off shotgun, AOW tax stamp
  10. Blackjack

    Blackjack Monkey+++

    Yeah, wow! I got to lookin on guns america and saw that.

    If anybody is still following this thread.... What does interest me, and would be affordable is a semi auto Thompson. The M1A1 with the short barrel is not ordinarily legal. I wonder if it would just be a matter of a $5 stamp too. I don't like the one with the long barrel.

    Long bbl -

    Short bbl -
  11. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    This can be true only if the shotgun was manufactured as an AOW (any other weapon) originally and didn't start life off as Elmer's Wabbit-gun. It is a $200.00 tax for it if it were shortened after the serial number was recorded and it is $200.00 to cut-off your own barrel.
  12. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    An SBR is a $200.00 tax, just like a machinegunor silencer.
  13. monkeyman

    monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    You also would have to check your state/local laws since IIRC you have to get an aproval or at least recognition from local law enforcement if you get the tax stamp and the state or local govs can outlaw silencers and such stuff that you could otherwise get a stamp for. I know from one of the MO gun boards that it has been mentioned that even if you have the stamps and such from BATFE that it is illegal in MO to own a silencer.
survivalmonkey SSL seal warrant canary