How much land?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Leeuhhh, May 26, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

What is your plan/where you are looking at here in the WA area, are you thinking West or East side? The East side allows better purchasing power for a small established farm ( I found a lot of great properties over there but the distance to my home base was prohibitive). The West side, you can find property in the middle of the state between Tacoma and Vancouver for a good value.... but you have to really look for a good price and keep your expectations lower on the house. I have found a lot of properties that were great, but needed a full home renovation, which is okay for me, but not for some folks.

Gopherman likes this.
  2. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I was first looking on the east side of the state, but bringing the girls to their dad each week would be a pain, so I am now looking over here on the west side. I am fine with renovating a house or putting a cabin on some land. I need to meet with a lender and see what I can afford. It looks like I could get 5ish acres with no housing on it for between 30-40k, or a place with a fixer upper on it for around 100k. I do have people to help me renovate, I am not completely on my own as far as that stuff goes.

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I found some great places out around Onalaska & Lewis County.... just as an FYI. And if you are really looking for some fun, I know of a property for sale with nothing on it.... but two bunkers. ;)

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, The Yelm area is very nice, EXCEPT for those "RAMTHA" NutBags.....

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

LOL. I won't be joining a cult any time soon!

6. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I'ld slow down a little and think it through. It's a process. And a lot of people don't get it. You can get help here and other sites. Just be careful who you throw in with. It's all about your family. Your kids. You. OK. I'

Gopherman, Yard Dart and Leeuhhh like this.
  7. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

My mom suggested "scratching one itch at a time". Getting some land to keep animals and gardens on that is close enough I can get there daily. Put a small cabin on in case I needed to stay over, and gauge how the girls are doing and whether they are comfortable. I really, REALLY want to be producing at least the bulk of my own food. Im really not sure if that would even work (I would have to lighten my regular work load, but we would get by), but it was an interesting idea. I think getting some practical work experience on a small farm would be the best first step.

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Have to worry about thieves, too.:(

Leeuhhh likes this.
  9. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Ugh I didn't think about that! And the closest thing I think I could find would probably be an hr away.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I would urge you to get as much as you can afford. God only made so much land-they don't make any more of it. And before some wise @zz puts up a pic of the Saudi's island making, that's beyond any here I suspect. You will never lose money on real estate, esp if you hang on to it. It's been my experience that once you get settled, you'll find it would be nice to have "just another ____ acres more". That being said, one has to work within their budget. No point in buying more than you can afford just to lose it to a bank 5 yrs later. We have a lot less land here than I do in Colorado, but the wife wants to live here, so here we are. We are seriously thinking of selling this place and building on a larger parcel that the wife owns and is bordered by other family land. It would make sense because the family would then have complete control over a large area, being able to completely close off all roads in and out if/when SHTF. BUT, it's a lotta work...;)

Gopherman, Airtime, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Hope you can find your "shangrali". Am blessed in having 12 acres here and farm not far away. We inherited the home so sold ours and stayed--we had been here 4 yrs already helping with Dad. Goats are foragers but will soon defoliate anything they can reach--and they stand on their hind legs-lol. A couple milkers and one buck will clear several acres in a hurry--then you have to feed them. Chickens/rabbits/ducks take up less space and yield lots of meat/eggs(not the rabbits-lol). A 100'X200' garden is a half acre and will produce an amazing amount of food. Raised beds take up less space and will grow more per foot--and you do not have to weed as much. Would chose my neighbor/hood carefully and get options to buy ajoining land/lots if possible. When your girls grow they may want to buy next door--(and you may need a place to put bodies--lol).

12. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I hope I find somewhere, too. I'm sure we will, things have a way of working out.

Mindgrinder and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Thanks for the kind words brother! My Flemish Giant Rabbits are about 3 lbs at 2 months old now. The father was over 20 lbs. We have so many Yellow Squash and Zucchini its Stupid, 3.5 lb zucchinis hiding in there. We given away about 40-50 lbs.
    Now if I can only figure out how to grow Chocolate bars?

I bought a Papered Nubian and he's 2 inches taller than me on his hind legs.I butchered my other Billy and now he's in charge, he's just started breeding my Does, the next batch of babies will be his.
    Lee if you decide to do sheep, get hair sheep, not wool sheep, catching them and sheering sucks! It's romantic to thing your going to spin your own wool and knit, I know we thought that too, but the reality is its way more work than its worth. Better off going to 2nd hand store and buying second hand wool clothing, Carhard Pants, military boots that fit well, socks... and packing them away.
    We could probably survive on what we raise here, that's true, but we still hit Wally World a lot! We have enough food stored now to make it for about 2 years, 3.5 is the goal!
    What a Hoot it is though, never thought in a million years I'd be doing this 5 years ago, I'd have said you were nuts, but here I am and Loving it!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

If you figure out a chocolate bar tree let me know. ;)

Gopherman likes this.
  15. Gopherman

There is a Cob Home community in Oregon, land prices are very reasonable and The Cobbies are mostly way down to earth people actually living a Permi-culture Lifestyle.Look around Youtube COB HOMES.
    Do not take your kids too far from their Dad, unless he's abusive, your children will resent you later, and that's not worth it.
    My immediate family all live around Seattle, their are definitely Permies living out their, just start searching the web and be very careful! I'll look around a little and see what I can find and send you links when I do.

16. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

No, I get along well with their dad and wouldn't move them far away. My oldest has a Flemish giant, he is a monster! But very sweet.

Thanks for the sheep tip. I do NOT care to sheer sheep. Is sheep milk alright tasting? We like goats milk and would probably do well with those. Sheep taste better though hmm.

Does anyone know anything about seller financing vs regular lending? I can probably google that, lol!

17. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Had to buy my place owner finance and it's worked for me so far.. Pay a higher interest rate , however I know that the profit is going to a young couple.. Have all financial transactions for through an escgro (sp?) company so there is a clear paper trail.. Others would be more knowlegable than I on this. I shopped for over a year , looking at properties in all seasons and seen a lot of land that was wholly unsatisafactory. Water was a must.. A source that I control .. Neighbor's that do not have a good source fill five gallon can's at the local store and haul it to the house.. Had to do it myself when the gen at the well broke down in the winter.. Start out slow with the animals. Learn about what you have and then add in something new.. It's all a process in building a safe haven..

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  18. madmax

We got very lucky in life. House paid for. Land paid for. Cabin paid for as WE built it. Hand tools. No road to it. Walked/carried every piece up that hill. 16' by 16'. No permit needed. You can't see it from the road. Water collection and filtration from the roof and composting toilet going on this summer. Leaving in a week for the summer. Still working on getting that good spring water up the hill.

The birds wake us up. Max (dog) chases varmits all day and passes out about dark thirty. Darn Black Bear eat our Blackberries... Kelly likes feeding the Hummingturds. They had babies right in front of us 2 years in a row. We watched them learn how to fly. Turkeys are noisy critters. Can't bring myself to harvest one. LOL.

Cast iron and open fire cooking.

[​IMG]

You don't have to dream big. Just don't stop dreaming.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  19. Gopherman

LOL! [LMAO]
    The sheep are for eating! I'm about to butcher my Black Ram he's about 250 Lbs dressed out he'll be about 150 lbs of meat. I bought The little black and white one in the video to take his place. I also have 2 more rams about 100 lbs already. Can't let them breed so I'll have about 400 lbs of Mutton this year. They are very docile animals and the babies are so cute, luckily they grow up and lose that look, or I'd never be able to slaughter them. I have a herd of 21 Animals now. That's what you need minimum if you want to harvest them for food. Just eat the males and soon you'll have plenty of meat.The herd grows Exponentially that way. I'm about to have another batch of babies soon and the others are not even weened yet. I could sell them if I wanted, also a great source of extra income. With the rabbits, chickens, turkeys and goats, I have all the meat I need and eggs.I was getting 8 dozen aweek till my dog figured out how to escape the kennel, Now I'm down 2 chickens.
    My raised bed gardens are going crazy, and my 1/4 food plot is starting to put out now. It can be done and their are people doing all of this on a 1/4 acre including a house. I'ts not rocket science we just have to think backwards, a hundred years ago or so, everyone was living like this.
    Rabbits are fast easy and quiet. You can have a hundred in six moths with five does and 1 Buck. One will feed you and the kids for a day, 2 if you make it in a dish like stir fry.
    Its a lot to wrap your head around all at once but like your Mom said start with one thing and as you finish that you'll gain the confidence to do another, pretty soon the finish line is in sight and you'll win the race!
    I've only been doing this going on 3 years now, and believe me when I tell you, If I can do it, so can you!!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Ganado, Tully Mars and Mindgrinder like this.
  20. madmax

Got a buddy that raises rabbit. My wife might have to disappear during butchering time. And yes, little goats are too cute. Another buddy just acquired chickens. That's 3 families giving us eggs... I need more recipies.

Gopherman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7