How much land?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Leeuhhh, May 26, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This made me laugh ... your house sounds like a three ring circus. suggest you learn to pig call =) to get them all in the pen

Pigs are smart but guilible about food ;)

@Mind grinder.... I will lock you up and throw away the key for the milk maid post. Lol

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Mindgrinder, Gopherman and Leeuhhh like this.
  2. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I'm looking at one property an hr away with a brook going through it. Not secluded- it's pasture with other pasture lands around it. Seems like it would be good if I decided to go for more of a sustainable/ homesteading lifestyle rather than be like, a super off gridder. That one is 30k. I have seen a couple others that are more secluded w/ a stream for closer to 50k. So there is land out there that will work for me, which is encouraging lol. I need to go and look at some stuff irl- it's hard to judge things online.

Gopherman likes this.
  3. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

This guy did it in England, comparable growing conditioms, better not to let the goats in there though!:)

I did, you must have missed it, Here it is again "Get the Shotgun!"[lolol]
    Suckling pig for a week!Mmmmmm!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    Mindgrinder and Leeuhhh like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gopherman likes this.
  5. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

A baby cow is called veal...what is baby pig and is it noticably better than veal in comparison to beef vrs veal to pork vrs ?

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Veal and pork are called 'white meat' veal is leaner and had more B12 but pork has more vit A and something else I just can't remember the rest

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Mindgrinder likes this.
  7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Ive ate veal lots but never baby pork....

8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Am hoping to have it paid off before retirement.. Also am hoping to be able to build another more secure home up here... I know of some less than honest folks stripping a unattended cabin of anything and everything that could be sold.. I look at my place as a safe haven, yet want to be able to travel out of the area without a worry that all the plumbing and lumber sheeting from the walls will be stripped while off in Texas or ....

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I have been lucky where my place is. I have had it for nearly 30 years and no problems with theft or trespassing. The people in the area seem to mind their own business, and that's a good thing. I do have a neighbor down the road who keeps an eye on it while I am a way.

kellory likes this.
  10. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I found someone who may be looking to rent to own their three acres and manufactured home in allyn, wa. It's all set up with fencing and coops/ outbuildings, raised beds, fruit trees, etc.. Not really totally off grid, but would be great for us.

Yard Dart, BTPost and oldawg like this.
  11. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

If it feels like home, the price is right for you, and there is a good contract looked over by several people sounds great.

BTPost likes this.
  12. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I ended up not liking the terms/ contract. Going to look for a land parcel at a good price and add to it little by little as I can afford it. I will let you all know when I find it some day, lol! I run a small preschool program now, so I may look for something not too far out so that I could run children's nature programs or maybe a forest/farm preschool. That way I would be able to commute to work/ the new home site each day- include the kids in my work for part of the day (caring for animals , etc...child labor?! Lmao)...and have the after preschool time to get the heavier stuff done, and be working towards living there permanently. Sounds a bit weird, but it makes sense in my head.

Ganado likes this.
  13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

ooh...before you consider taking small children (especially someone else') around animals/sharp farm implements, please consider the liability.

Leeuhhh and Motomom34 like this.
  14. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i've often seen ppl ask about bug out locations..and this is the reply i came up with..in which it can apply to permanent bug in locations as well..
    one thing you might want to try doing,when it comes to a bol..get a map of the country you live in,and a fine tip red marker or pencil...then sit down with both,and pick out what state(s)/regions that your willing to move to,and live in..then start marking out the larger cities with the red marker or pencil. and do the same with other cities/towns you'd rather stay away from...might want to cross out ALL power plants as well.mainly nuclear power plants...now take a school style Scale-Arm Compass with a green pencil in it.use it to draw a green circle around each city and town you marked red.and everywhere outside the green circles is where you choose from,when comes to the BOL..

now as for what to look for in the way of land..
    a remote area,thats remote enough where you MIGHT see 4 to 9 ppl inside of 1 year.
    a remote area large enough to provide plenty of room for who'll be living on the land,as well as gardens and livestock,(if any)..
    streams,creeks,rivers,ponds lakes.your gonna need plentyfull amount of water
    plenty of trees for firewood and other needs.like structures.
    plenty of wildlife,for putting meat onto the table..
    property line,is it full of trees,vines,weeds and other plants and other under brush?..

distance to bol..
    i consider any distance over a 1/2 tank of gas can prove to be unsafe after that distance.but then again.a distance that requires 3/4 tank of gas can be good.but that depends on your location and only IF you can get there safely enough.

routes.
    it's been said,2 is 1.and 1 is none..so having several routes is good.primary highways can prove to be unsafe,due to vehicles being broken down and blocking the road(s).so planing alternate routes is good.back roads,railroads to cross country if needed.

once you have your location.and a home on the property

food
    start stocking up on foods that you already eat at your bol.and as for foods that you dont eat or hardly ever eat.a change in diet can,and most n likely mess with your digestive track

water
    there's many ways to stock up on drinking water.that includes,store bought to rain catch system.to ponds,streams,creeks,rivers, and lakes.aquifers for a well..

seeds
    heirloom seeds be my best bet.seeing how the seeds can be saved from whats grown for next years garden...pluss they'll last for 5 years or longer if properly stored.

first aid supplies
    there's first aid kits.to individual items.learn what you need.and what places has the lowest prices.and what is needed..

hygiene
    persanal hygiene will have a at the top of the list in importance.so stocking up on hygiene items is a must.mainly for the female(s)

clothes
    everyone will need clothes once they arrive.even if they have some with them to begin with.kids will be growing.so stocking up on large then what will fit them is good..

tools.
    hand tools will be a big plus when there's no electrictricity.this includes..
    open/box end wrenchs
    screw drivers
    pipe/crecent wrenchs
    vice grips
    claps
    hand and bow saws
    etc,etc

BOB=bug out bag
    always have one for each person.and have it in the vehicle their in.be it at work,school,ball game.or where ever.never know when it might be needed.includeing leaveing vehicle behind when needed.
    maps
    they're a must have during a bug out...what if using a gps dont work?.or you end up having to change the route your taking during a bug out?.maybe have 1 map with every route drawn/marked on it.then a map for each route..and avoid towns cities and primary highways whenever possible..

bug out vehicles.
    a 4x4 truck with a camper comes to mind..in which it can be kept stocked with a certain amount of items.foods,water,first aid supplies.tools for when their needed.like bolt cutters to cut chains,pad locks to barbed wire,when needed.

going it on foot..
    what if you have to abandon your vehicle for what ever reason(s).?? then hike it,the rest of the way to your bol?..are you prepared for that? or what if your in town,and you can't drive home,due to road blocks?

power/electrictricity
    you might have electricity after arriving to the bol..but what are you gonna do after the power grid goes down?..oil lamps,and lamp oil.candles.rechargable lanterns.laterns with rechagable battries.flashlights.how you gonna recharge them? solar power.wind and water turbines.

15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Bolt cutters are useful tools, but you need to think about why you are using them. That chain and lock, or barbwire, belong to someone else, who may take a very dim view of a trespasser, a thief, or someone after his livestock. If it has gone far enough down that road to WROL, then you have no protection from his guns, his wrath. Nor will he have any reason to warn you off (you might come back with friends) he will plant you in the garden, and hope no one heard the shot.
    Bolt cutters are not a universal key, but a tool to breach someone's defenses. That is a direct threat.
    Before you cross that line...think it through.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
    BlueDuck, Leeuhhh and oldawg like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Regardless, I think it highly prudent to have the tools in your kit such as bolt cutters, crow bar and such....
    You just never know what you might need them for when SHTF.... better to have... than be in need for that tool.
    Those tools are just as practical to have as a hammer, tape measure or screw driver..... or should we just paint them black and call them assault tools.... and then ban them from civilian possession.... because someone could potentially do bad with them?!
    Bolt cutters don't breach someones defenses.... criminals due.... just like guns don't kill peep's. ;)

Leeuhhh likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You missed my point. I didn't say the tool was bad, far from it. I said think before you use them against someone else.

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well that is something that most would acknowledge just out of basic common sense... but thanks for the reminder. [winkthumb]

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  19. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

that's why one should plan ahead.before moving/bugging out.and to me that includes,planning ALL routes and alternate routes ahead of time..this way a person can avoid others when possible..one route i know of.can keep me away from others,while going cross country..but yet i still have to make sure no one see's me thoe.and because of where i live.i already have the needed tools for working with barbed wire..

Leeuhhh likes this.
  20. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Good thoughts everyone! Thanks!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7