How much land?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Leeuhhh, May 26, 2015.

1. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Ok so right now I'm lookin at one parcel of 6 acres. Wells in the area are shallow, and the river is within walking distance if I was really in a pinch or wanted to fish (property is off the flood plain though!). Also, kind of a weird thought but it's the same river my other property is along, so maybe I could travel by boat between the two if I needed. Other property I'm looking at is only 3 acres, but there's a small brook going through. I like the idea of having a natural water source on the property, but I'm afraid I'll run out of space with 3 acres. Thoughts? The larger property also gets good sun for gardening and he neighbors are further away. I could make 3 acres work as far as gardens and animals, I just want to be sure we have some "breathing room", especially because my mom will probably be living with us at some point. I am looking rural and not totally off grid. Thanks!

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Your mother influences the size of the house, not the acreage. 3 acres will be iffy for livestock, and a no go if free range (i.e., reduced expense for feed) is what you are looking for. "Go big or stay home" applies, methinks.

BlueDuck, Cruisin Sloth and Leeuhhh like this.
  3. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Oh there is no way in the world I will share a house with her lmao. Should have mentioned she would be in a small cabin close, but not TOO close. Hehehe. This is down the road, though.

Motomom34 and jimLE like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7