How NOT to start a fire

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by john316, Aug 3, 2019.

1. john316

john316 Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Gas is not the way to start a fire.

DuxDawg, Hanzo, snake6264 and 6 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Hold my beer!!!

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with using gasoline.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It is said that one gallon of gasoline is equal to 28 stick of dynamite. Kerosene is not near as reactive when used to start a bonfire if one is really in a hurry. Actually just having a little patience would be a far safer way to go. Paper and some pitch rich pine and dry wood will blaze quite well in short order.
    Those folks in the video were just plain STUPID.

SB21, chelloveck, DuxDawg and 4 others like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sometimes Darwin fails.

6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Thanks, john316--that was just tons o' fun.

I wish there had been a soundtrack...I love it when big strong guys scream like skinny school girls.

Too bad they quit filming. I'm sure the burn pile got lit, but I was wondering how much of the surrounding forest burst into flame as well.

I'm also wondering if, somewhere off to one side, there was a small happy voice that said "Do it again, Daddy! Do it again!"

DuxDawg, Hanzo, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

LOL!!!!!!! Priceless! It definitely wasn't far enough away from the tree line either. I would be very surprised if it didn't get out of control... Idiots. I imagine what happen is some of the gas puddled, sort of was enclosed and KABOOM! LOL! Bet they don't do that again...then again, given the mindset, maybe they will...

We burn a lot since we fall a lot of trees and since a really good chipper costs a small fortune - well - we burn up the limbs and what is left, like most people do around here. We use a hole, at least 8 feet deep, maybe 12-15 feet across. We don't burn above the ground line, at least try not to go too much above it and the hole focuses the heat to give a complete burn while helps to control the fire. Fire is a big deal when you live surrounded by woods - duh! LOL! And, we certainly don't start it with gasoline, normally diesel is used but I use a propane torch. I suppose you could use gasoline but 5 gallons?!?!? LOL! Thanks for a good laugh this morning, John!

Gator 45/70, UncleMorgan and Hanzo like this.
  8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

LOL should have used diesel and went around the base instead of on top. That being said I love starting my burn pile with a couple gallons of gas and using my little fire bow and arrows from about 50 feet away to send a flaming arrow into the pile. The big fire balls are impressive. Hehe a little gas down a yellow jacket nest hole goes a long way as well :)
    IMG_1770 (1024x768).

SB21, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

the unforgiving god of stupidly reaps many a soul

SB21, UncleMorgan and Hanzo like this.
  10. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I like it

UncleMorgan, Hanzo and VisuTrac like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ya'll hold my beer, watch this!

We started many a fire with high explosives, tracers, gun powder, and all sorts of nasty other means, its what we do in the MIL.

I have stared a small grass fire with a .22 striking a steel femce post, so it dosnt take much!

Kid in grade school tossed a half bottle of BBQ lighter fluid into a bon fire, gets to go through the rest of his life with 3dg burns over 90 percent of his body, has to carry around an O2 tank, AND wears a mask to keep the sunlight from burning his face more!
    Lost his nose, lips, and ears, and had to have eyelids stretched and a bunch of other stuff to make them work! Ita a good thing he wears that mask!

12. I bet that guy is a bed wetter too. Gasoline CAN be used to start fires safely. Wonder if that pyro inhaled when the fireball hit him.

Gator 45/70, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sure do hope no monkey recommends that, even with a putative "safe" procedure.

14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Teached my guys in Egypt how to take a half of a 50 gallon drum, filed with Mogas, detergent and a line back to a safe zone.
    Basically a Napalm bomb set off by a battery off the truck. Good times having 5 go off during a live fire... :)

Gator 45/70, UncleMorgan and DuxDawg like this.
  15. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

There was so much wrong with that video one hardly knows where to start.

First, the bozo was standing in the center of the pyre sloshing out the gas. If it had lit up (however!) he'd have been southern-fried.

A lot of people don't know that gas fumes can roll downhill. You can be standing 15 ft away when you strike up the light, only to have the fire go "whoompfh!" around your ankles, and then run up-slope to the pile. Which leaves you trying to put out your flaming feet.

And if you're standing by an open can of gas, you'll have a lot more to put out than just your feet.

People have died that way.

One of my students (back in the old dojo days of yore) was one of the handsomest young man I've ever seen. He might easily have worked as a top male model.

I lost track of him for a year or so. The next time I saw him he wasn't handsome anymore. His whole head was a mass of scar tissue. He had taken a job in a welding shop, and during his first week the supervisor decided to have him braze up some guy's gas tank.

They didn't want to waste any time taking it off the vehicle, and filling it up with water.

His goggles saved his eyes, but that was about all.

It wasn't his fault--he was a trainee. His supervisor should have known better. But he's the one that paid the price.

SB21, DuxDawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

They needed BLEACH for their parents !!

Idiot is pouring the fuel around himself !! .
    I need to burn off stale fuel , load bucket and fire it onto a burning fire .
    I use oil from changes and old stuff.

Heat has removed 300 stumps to date , another 100 this winter.
    Sloth .

SB21 and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I learned all about gasoline vapors as a teen. Piled up all of the washed up driftwood and trash on the river bank and poured on a little gas, then a little more, then just a tad more to be sure. Grabbed one of my Dad's Fusee's and threw at it from maybe 20 feet away. It was hot enough that day that most of the gas had vaporized. When I got up off my butt there were little fires all along the river bank and the pile was scattered all over. I had to spend the next 2 hours piling it all back up, and this time lighting it all with Kerosene. It didn't hit me until years later that I could have ended myself.

SB21, DuxDawg and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  18. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Don’t use a bucket with a hole in it to carry your gasoline to lite your fire.[ROFL][ROFL]
    [flag]

Cruisin Sloth and john316 like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Have done plenty of hazard reduction burns with the Rural Fire Service, using drip torch fuel....a mix of low octane petrol (gasoline) and diesel....the ratio depending on ambient temperature.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  20. BenP

BenP Monkey++

All I could think about is that was a lot of firewood going to waste.

I light fires all the time with gasoline but he used way too much.

Alf60 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7