How sharp do you make your knives

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Hanzo, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I rotated my EDC knife at New Year, so touched it up first, since I had used it for a few weeks prior to using the previous carry.

After giving the edge a little touch up, it went into my daily carry spot.

Today, after a phone call, I saw a hair on my desk. So what are you gonna do? It’s back to standard sharpness.

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Now that's splittin hairs. Nice job on the sharpening.

Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Depends on the knife.

snake6264, Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Ceramic coffee cup works every time no need for anything else

DuxDawg, Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have some that are breath taking sharp, and others that are just sharp enough, it all depends on the knife and the needs! My super sharp ones will peal the print off a piece of paper!

Hanzo, Capt. Tyree and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I never tried shaving print off.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have my hunting knives that are kept razor sharp because they have a particular purpose ,processing game .
    utility knives are sharpened as often as required depending on the work I'm involved in .
    I micro serration usually stands up longer, depending on the metal and it's temper .
    About every other night I might spend a little lul time dressing the edge of my pocket knife to just with in shaving but i' don't see the point of dressing it down further than that.
    When I was working on boats an using shrink wrap we used up disposable razor knives because the plastic would dull the edge quickly with any thing you used.
    I don't pay more than $20. for a pocket knife ,because it's a disposable/sacrificial tool . not that I abuse it but that if something must be abused for the sake of the problem at hand it is worth the investment and more have been made to replace it. Much like the oil filter for your car.
    I don't throw them away , I have a drawer of them ,and the memories of the work they performed . If my kids want any there are plenty to choose from .

Ura-Ki and Hanzo like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I find pleasure in using a very sharp knife. And find that it does not take much time or effort to get it back to that state if I don’t let it dull too much before touching it up. So probably every couple of weeks depending on usage.

And when I want to spend time, I use Japanese water stones. The process is relaxing and therapeutic.

DuxDawg, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was looking at my picture. Next time, I will use a better surface than my laptop keyboard.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm right there with ya on the water stones! I use India stones my self, and luke warm water in a wide plastic tray on the bench. I find that on the super hard steels, the India stones work very well for breaking a bad edge and reshaping it for the fine edge work!

Hanzo likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. john316
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Hanzo
  7. Hanzo
  8. Hanzo
  9. MountainMariner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Brokor