How the police can be a pain in your backside.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cschattner, Dec 12, 2015.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Seems like you need to fit a horse cam to your animals....

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I once had a 68 mustang that was my daily driver. Nothing much to look at, because money and time were always tight, and body work is the last thing you spend money on, when you don't have much.
    It was a recovering Bondo addict, and while I had replaced everything in the front end, rebuilt the brakes, built the driveshaft myself, and stripped off all the Bondo and leaded everything I could not sand out, it needed fenders, and it was just primed to keep it from rusting more.
    I loved that car, and my neighbor hated it. It was ugly, and offended his idea of what should be sitting out on the street for all to see. (F-him).
    He called complaints if my car was an inch too close to a driveway apron, too far from a curb, touching the curb, blocking my own driveway while I was working on it. (Believe it or not, I paid a ticket for that) or anything else he could come up with. And every complaint came from "Anon-omas".
    One day the cops showed up to mark the tires and told me it would be towed in 24 hours if not moved off the street. I asked why, and was told it was a derelict vehicle, and could not be on public roads unless it ran. I laughed my fool head off, and asked him why he thought it didn't run?
    He told me he had been told it didn't even have an engine in it. I didn't answer, but sat down in the driver's seat, and twisted the key. The 289 (previous police pursuit vehicle )engine sprang to life, and I burned rubber in places for @30 seconds.
    As the smoke cleared, I asked if filing a false police report was a crime, and how he like being used for spiteful bullshit like this? He went directly next door, and wrote a handful of tickets to Mr. Anon-omas, and that was the last time I personally was targeted by this A-hole. Others still had problems with him, but he steered clear of me from then on.

3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If I recall, your goal is to do improvements to this land, pay it off, then look for something better later. If that's the case, you gotta find a way to get along and not let your dipstick neighbors make your life miserable. Here are some suggestions that have worked for me in the past in the numerous places I have lived:

1. Make sure you get your Sheriff and your local police chief a bottle to something good for Christmas....Crown Royal is usually a good choice. Include a card that simply says "Merry Christmas, I appreciate everything you and your department do for our (County/community).

2. When you see your local cops or deputies in a restaurant, introduce yourself and offer to pick up the check, again because you appreciate their efforts. Keep any conversation light, cheery and non-political. You are BSing with them, not complaining about stuff. When you see them anywhere, always give a cheery greeting and stop to shoot the sht for a bit with them.

3. Are you allowed to shoot on your land? If so, set up good backstop/berm and start shooting. When cops or deputies come out because of noise complaints, show them your nice, safe, legal set up, pine away (politely, maybe with a few tears) about why you can't understand why these people keep harassing you when you are going out of your way to do everything legal and trying to be a good neighbor. Then tell the cops that they are welcome to come out and shoot anytime.

4. If you can do the shooting, consider getting into reloading...finding out what calibers the cops/deputies carry, and offer them X amount of cheap or free reloads to shoot when they come out to your place.

There are other things you can do...with the point being to become friends with the area cops and hopefully considered as of the "good" folks. You could do the same with some of the local pols and business people too. Sometimes you get more done with a little sugar.

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  4. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

The crown royal does not sound like a bad idea.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The police are being manipulated and it is your task to catch the manipulators. What you want is a bunch of film catching them in the act. Then you can lay it on, trespassing, animal cruelty, and more.

Depending on the FOV, security cameras could be as good as game cameras. Whatever you buy enough resolution for facial recognition is the key.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Funny I just ran into the deputy that is being a pain while I was feeding 30min ago.
    I didn't mention anything. We just chatted and then he went on his way.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 3cyl like this.
  7. chimo

Please don't be offended by me saying this, but you are a gal...when it comes to dealing with all these males...use your gender to your advantage. Even the most hard-ass of us are a suckers for an innocent damsel in distress...especially when the tears get to flowing. I won't even get into the physical assets that have been turning men into jello for eons. All's fair in love and land wars, darlin. ;)

8. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Well the meeting didn't go well. Thursday i am pulling out. All the wood is getting burned or given away, fence and lean-too is getting taken down and the animals are getting taken to a boarding facility.

Instead of talking to me and telling me the new list of requirements he told my supervisor. Apparently they want the lean-too insulated and electric to it by the end of the week. The electricity at a minimum will take 3 weeks between install and inspection.
    Also insulating a lean-too is pointless as it is an open 3 sided structure.
    I give up in other words.

9. chelloveck

Am sorry that they have ground you down....I am guessing that your search for your next property will entail a thorough reconnaissance of the ass-hat factor when looking at a neighbourhood that you unfamiliar with. Fancy dressage establishments and horse studs may bring up big red flags in the future. Happy hunting.

Gator 45/70, 3cyl and oldawg like this.
  10. chimo

Sorry to hear that. But to be optimistic, for every door that closes (or gets slammed in your face) another one opens. Hopefully you will be able to find a much more optimal situation for yourself and you can look back at this as an unfortunate learning experience.

To quote a famous fictional boxer named Rocky: “It ain’t about how hard you can hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.”

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Ya I will be going through the ordinances with a fine tooth comb and pucking the place that my neighbors have a junk yard for a lawn.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  12. chelloveck

Something like these wealthy people for neighbours???

[​IMG]

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

As long as they leave me alone I don't care what they have.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

well tomorrow is the day :(

15. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I do not understand why they would tell your supervisor. It is none of your boss' business. I would ask a lawyer if by them doing that is a violation of your privacy since this is a civil and not a criminal matter. Sue their pants off. Sue the city too.

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Truthfully, they don't sound like the people I'd want to live near.

oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  17. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

I'm just done with the whole situation. I have both the equine buddies going to boarding facilities this week.

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I still think there is something odd with this situation. I just cannot imagine a whole community being so stinky to a new comer.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    pearlselby and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Oh yea, I can Totally See that happening..... It only takes a few A$$holes to push it, and the Rest to just follow along, and ignore it as much as they can.... Things get REAL interesting, when someone moves in, that can NOT, and will NOT, be Intimidated, and has the Money, to Tell these Jerks, to "Pi$$ Off, and Die" Watched it happen a few times, over the years.... and the Result, isn't pretty....

pearlselby, Gator 45/70 and Alpha Dog like this.
  20. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

When I lived on the mountain, a neighbor built a range and another neighbor called the sheriff. Two deputies came out and told him although shooting is legal; his the berm wasn't high enough. As he is disabled they made it higher for him.
    Soon after on Saturday, a few other neighbors and I joined him for an afternoon at the range. They called the sheriff again and the deputies enjoyed shooting a few clones they never shot before.
    The South can be a great place to live...

The other side of the coin.
    I've seen rifle ranges who where there 20-30 years before houses were built spend $10-15K on legal expenses to win.

Bruce:
    Often ESAD or eat s**t and die is more appropriate.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7