How to catch fish when they don't bite

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bishop, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

These are mullet they can be caught on a hook and line but it's hard.

Hanzo, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was going to say dynamite or electricity.

DKR, Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

There's an art to throwing a cast net.

4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Works fer me ;)
    തോട്ടയിട്ടുള്ള_മീൻ_പിടുത്തം.

3M-TA3, VisuTrac, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Old crank military telephone and dial Up the fish.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Called in some places "telephoning a catfish"

7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Given a choice if TSHTF, Bishop would be a much better resource then FEMA or any other government agency. Love watching his video's and his take on things. Thank you for sharing.

DKR, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  8. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Back when I was a small-time commercial fisherman I often went after mullet with a cast net.

I figured out a way to take a lot of the work and time-loss out of cast-netting. Basically, the longer your net is out of the water, the less you catch.

SO...

I took three ten-foot pieces of 1" EMT conduit, drilled one end of each, and installed a small eye bolt in each. I then ran the threaded end of a fourth eye bolt up thru the eyes of the other three, and secured it loosely with a large washer and a Mickey Nut. That gave me a nice tall tripod that I could set up and close up (and carry) easily, and set up anywhere--including on a boat, as long as the feet were secured in place.

I attached a small pulley to the center eye bolt, and ran a line thru it with an S-hook attached. Presto: Instant hoist.

A large tote was placed in the center of the set-up tripod to receive the catch.

After each throw, the loaded net would be pulled in and set into the tote, fish & all.. The S-hook would then be attached at the horn of the net, and the net hoisted up straight.

The catch would drop right into the tote, with any tangled up fish being easy to clear out without having to chase them.

They all stayed in the tote.

This worked extremely well with two people. One to throw the net, and the other to run the hoist and dump the tote into the ice box.

Two nets meant one was in the water almost constantly, while the other rained fish into the tote.

A good routine was to trade places every three beers.

Using the tripod easily doubled or tripled the size of our daily catch--and it took and enormous amount of stress off the arms of the caster.

People went nuts the first time they saw me and my buddy pulling in the fish.

I expected everyone to copy the idea because it worked so well.

Not a single one of the other fishermen in the local bunch had the initiative to start using a tripod.

The "old way" was good enough, I guess.

Hehehehheheheh! I wasn't good enough for me.

That-there hoist thingy, it works good when yer shrimpin', too!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    DuxDawg, Hanzo, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Them is the two best!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

The DuPont spinner does work for all types of fish.

Seacowboys and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nice job Bishop, Good to see you back in action !

Bishop and duane like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[worthless]

13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

OR WORM's
    Had a neighbour years ago in the city , took the hot feed of power and stuck a nail 12" long into the ground , would get lots of worms coming up , for fishing I guess.. His lawn would be full of round dead grass circles ..
    Sloth
    Nice work @Bishop

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Crushed china berries or black walnut hulls in a muslin wrap.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I've used Dupont spinners, 60/40 painted with wax and cut into four inch sticks, I mean baits...

oldman11 and Dark Wolf like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was think 2,000v at a half amp from a microwave oven transformer.
    Beware that voltage at that amperage will easily kill a person.

17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You don't have to electrocute the fish, just stun them. Then cut the power, dip out the ones you want. and let the rest swim off. THAT PART ABOUT CUTTING THE POWER IS REAL IMPORTANT!!!

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My Dad had an old hand crank generator from a telephone or something like that ,, we tried cranking that thing in my grandfathers pond years ago trying to get the fish to come to the surface,, never did work. My Dad said it must not have put out enough amps ,, either that or there wasn't any fish in the pond at that time .

mysterymet, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Monkey

I was also gonna mention black walnut hulls. Also a primitive fish trap, or a native american fish trap. I have used the native fish trap, and have had decent luck with it.

DW

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Works on carp. Of course we could see them at the time. Wasn’t much of a range with it.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7