How to catch fish when they don't bite

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bishop, Mar 15, 2021.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Bishop and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

some old fishing wisdom I've never personally used but made all kinds of good sense >>>> you find one of those roadkills (except for skunk) - hang the carcass on a branch over a shady lakeshore spot - let it go maggot - they start dropping in for fish food .....

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

End up with a gator here.

Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Gator is good...

Tully Mars, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

It works I use this all the time except I use corn and wet it meal worms hatch out and fall over fish find it and just wait and hit anything that hits the water.

Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Noodling fish can work very well.

One technique is to put your hand in the water, curled into a loose fist. Point the thumb end toward the fish, and start wiggling your thumb like a big, fat worm.

A large enough fish (bass, catfish, etc.) will hit it like an NFL linebacker, and try to swallow your entire thumb.

Then just pinch the bottom of its jaw between your thumb and forefinger and pull it right out of the water.

Dinner is served...

(Note: Not recommended for catching sharks and piranha.)

Bishop and SB21 like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

And mullet is good eating. How do you prepare yours, @Bishop? I usually just steam.

Bishop and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Mullet we fillet and skin -fish breading and fry. My 2 grandson (2 and 4) love fried mullet and blue crabs. Cat net works for mullet and shrimp.

Bishop, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

We smoke them but I salt pepper and mix half yellow corm mill and flower and deep fry good to hear from you Hanzo

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo Bishop.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Well some people I used to know(not me) would take a 35mm film canister, punch a hole in the lid, insert a length of cannon fuse and seal it with a dab of gasket sealer. Fill the canister with black powder and seal the lid with the aforementioned gasket sealer. Light it and drop it into an eddy or pond and POOF! Fish. I was told it worked really well under the ice in a slow moving section of a stream but again, I wasn't ever there to verify..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7