How to communicate when cell towers are down?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by RandolfG, Jun 30, 2017.

1. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

We are capable of delivery Sonnet at $89 per pair because:
    1. We are experienced in mass manufacturing as this is not our first time to do a hardware product;
    2. We have long-term relationship with reputable manufacturing partners in China. By reputable I mean tested by their NA and European clients.
    3. We have the capability to do a process re-engineering which cut down the cost dramatically;
    4. We obviously don't know about Beartooth's profit margin, but it is possible that we are taking a much lower margin.

Bandit99, 3M-TA3 and Brokor like this.
  2. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

I promise complete honesty here. If your use case isn't a good fit, then I will just tell you Sonnet is useless for you.

Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@RandolfG I'm familiar with the restrictions in China and the need for VPN. If you get to Hong Kong, all is well, but my guess is you're not close by in Shenzhen or you would have jumped over there. Thanks for coming back and clarifying some points. I look forward to your further input in the future, and please try to keep us updated!

hitchcock4, 3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Yep, your understanding is correct. We operate in license-free frequencies and it is totally legal to operate on them. We checked with lawyers, of course.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well your information is only a couple of months out of date... The BearTooth Product has been shipping for two months, and I have my Two Evaluation Units, right here, sitting on the USB Charging Strip... It is my "Busy Season" at the moment, so I haven't had time to take them over to the Lab, and ring them out, just yet. Full disclosure is in order here,... I am a reTIRED FCC Resident Field Agent, and have been doing RF Comms for about 6 Decades... Your released Documentation does NOT Disclose the nature of the Modulation Scheme used, but I suspect your device uses the Spead Spectrum Chipset, that most of the other ISM Band SS Part15 devices use. As I understand it, your device has a built-in IP Stack, and uses that to make the WiFi to SS connection. If this is so, then any App on the WiFi connected device, can communicate thru the link between the two Sonnet devices, and to the WiFi connected device on the other end, or be relayed thru the MeshNetworking to a device at the far end of the link. This would include any App that used End to End Encryption, like FaceTime, and iMessage on Apple products... For us in the Survival/Prep'er Community, we put great stock in solidly Encrypted Comms... So, I am wondering what the Direct Link Bandwidth might be, as well as how that Bandwidth degrades thru a MeshNetworking Connection... I can see lots of uses for such a device, in my local Comms Suite... Looking forward to seeing a complete Spec Document, along with FCC Type Acceptance Number....

DuxDawg, hitchcock4 and Bandit99 like this.
  6. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Yes, I m in Shenzhen right now.
    Well the manufacturing scene here nowadays is that most sophisticated manufacturers go up north to Shenzhen, or even further north to a place called Dongguan, as the properties and wages are quite expensive in Hongkong.
    Honestly as a startup, we simply cannot afford living in HongKong for months. :(

Brokor likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Beartooth's site does say shipping in August, they should up-date if that is false. Beartooth products are quite expensive. No sense in wasting money on a brand name if someone makes an equal, I am interested.

Bandit99 likes this.
  8. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

For the badnwidth we are look at 5k/s. I just asked my partner to reply to the technical part.

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  9. BTPost

Great, and welcome to our Monkey Tree... If my early posts seemed to be a bit harsh, I apologize... We get a lot of "Fly by Nighters" hocking their wares, that pop in, drop their speal, and then we never see them again... I am truly interested in the concept of your product...

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Okay, the border crossing isn't fun in any case! If Winston and the crew weren't in northern China shooting their documentary, I would ask them to contact you and do a quick review of the device if you had any with you to test. He's a S. African immigrant married to his wife who is Chinese and they both live there. They have a channel which is very popular on Youtube, ADVChina. In the future, if you needed exposure, contact them when they are available to do a review. I would really like to see if they find it useful.

DuxDawg likes this.
  11. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Thank you for the technological interpretation! You are right, the modulation method we currently use is CSS, however the chipset we use also supports FSK modulation, and we will be implementing that as well for higher bandwidth, shorter range communication. The direct link bandwidth is currently around 30kbps (CSS), which is around half of dialup Internet. The bandwidth on average is halved through each mesh relay node. With FSK we are seeing upwards of 300kbps bandwidth, but we still haven't gotten mesh to work with FSK. Hope this answers your question.

Bandit99 and Motomom34 like this.
  12. BTPost

certainly good enough for an Encrypted VoIP Connection, out a couple of hops... Not good enough for Video FaceTime... but plenty of bandwidth for any TEXT based Comms...

13. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Sonnet is indeed more affordable than Beartooth. But at the same time, given what they say about their specs and features, I m confident to say we have accomplished more and will deliver more to our backers/customers.

Bandit99 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Hi Brokor,
    Thank you so much! Yes we are certainly interested, and if it happens it would be of enormous help for us. But not sure if he would be interested though, as in my knowledge the cellular coverage is very good even in rural China.

Brokor likes this.
  15. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

You are right, not good enough for video facetime. Our next product, if we ever have the chance to actually do it, will have real-time voice talking capability.

16. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't claim to be a comm tech anymore, still in single side band mode, but it at least looks to me that RandolpfG has at least a few things going for him at this point. He is enthused about his product and trying his best to get it together and make it work and is trying to develop a product and not hawk someone else product. Sort of appears that he is trying to use the Apple model of developing a product and having it made off shore. That seems to have worked well for both Apple and their customers, jury is still out on effect on the benefits to the USA. He is also trying to answer questions and communicate with us, not either asking us to trust him, nor flying into a rage because we dare question him. His product is not my brand of tea as I am more of a lone wolf as far as comms go. I don't feel frightened nor offended by his pitch and if in the end turns out to be spam, he is at least presenting an interesting looking dish of it and with BTPosts observations and comments on the processes used in his system, I am learning a lot about modern comm possibilities.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Bandit99 likes this.
  17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, I am certainly interested, very interested, and will be following it as it could be very useful here as we do not have the best cell coverage in Northern Idaho even though Verizon markets it as such...

18. BTPost

Once I get AlaskaChicks Dentist Bills under control, I will be putting in an Order, for a Pair, for evaluation... I can afford to risk, that much, to see how well it does work, when it is marketed.... I like testing New Products, that can be useful in SECURE Private local AoO Comms...

19. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Thanks for the good words, while I don't think I should take all the credit. It is the culture we decided to create across our entire team.

Hi Bandit99,
    Thank you for your interest! Just like what I said, let me know whatever questions/concerns/use cases you have so I can give you more info for you to decide if Sonnet would be good fit for your needs. You can either leave your comments here or message us on kickstarter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  20. RandolfG

RandolfG Monkey

Then thank you for your support in advance! Mind me askin if you are from Alaska? We got a few orders from Alaska which is a lot given its small pop percentage. Wondering if Alaska's signal coverage, I mean in the inhabited areas, is that bad.

DuxDawg and Brokor like this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid