How to decide on which Generator to buy

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Nadja, Feb 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Really, I know that these engine are so adaptable its not funny. I have so many trinkets. I think of them like AR's... My thing is that all my vehicles etc run diesel...

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Candy, I have looked at these for years. I know that they are some of the most energy efficient boxs in the world. I could just never afford to go with one of them. Bought more solar instead. But for you, may be the best way to go, as it would allow you to run on your little gennie , I BELIEVE> You would want to ask TNAndy about this, as he is the techie guy around here.

hank2222 likes this.
  3. bountyhunter

bountyhunter Monkey+

Hi Candy. For what you are intending to use if for, you got a great deal. But don't try plugging in your refer etc to it, as it can really damage the motors in refers etc why cant u use gen to run ref/freezer? i heard several yrs ago that u shouldnt use gen to run TV becauseit is solid statebest i remember,im looking for gen to help (if needed) to help recharge battery bank and run power tools when i use them

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yes,We estimated a 70/30 run mixture..70% diesel..30% natural gas..
    Which fuel transportation to offshore water's is high...and having more or less free natural gas...Operator's have to pay a fuel tax and flare tax in OCSG water's...so a estimate of 25% fuel saving's for us...Not so much but some saving's for the homeowner....

5. thebastidge

thebastidge Monkey+

I've been following some projects with lister engines (low-rpm cast diesel engines, mostly produced in India these days). If you're willing to tinker, you can get pretty good solutions from this for a reasonable price.

My genset of choice would be a diesel, set up to run dual fuel with methane/propane/natural gas. Large flywheel setup is crucial. I hope to build a methane digester tank on the property I'm going to put an offer on next month.

Cephus likes this.
  1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001