How to drain an abscess

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by CATO, Jul 9, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I've done this on livestock a million times. Never a human though. It's disgusting and yet fascinatingly addictive, lol! Did one on an old, abandoned horse once that was the size of a football. Once that thing started coming out, omg it just poured down her neck. My helper got one whiff of it and threw up in the bushes. :D

I don't know about people, but with the animals it didn't seem to hurt them at all to cut through the top of the abcess. Since that skin always sloughs off later on, I guess it's dead by the time the thing comes to a head anyway.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

It hurts for people a lot.

4. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

Mashed up hibiscus flowers are used in the pacific islands to draw the boils. They would then drop a match in a empty beer bottle and stick the neck over the boil. The vacuum caused by the flame would suck it out.
    Quick,painful and effective.

ditch witch likes this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

we have used something similar... a clean penny, a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and a highyball glass.... place the penny on the abcess, with the cotton ball on top.... light the cotton ball and place the glass over it.... works as advertised...

ditch witch likes this.
  6. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

I have don't amen care o a tooth abscess on muskeg before. A bit of numbing agent, a clean razor and there you go.

7. Gross but Interesting!

8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Definitely something you need to learn how to do. Very painful on people and can lead to more serious infections or problems if not treated right. Doing checks on yourself can help catch them when they are small. The larger they get, the more invasive they can be to other parts of your body.

9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

im working with some south africans and they are swearing by heating up a bottle .putting it on the boil the pouring cold water on it ...

10. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Anybody attempting to do this better make sure that you keep the infected area surgically clean and better hope you are not dealing with a staph infection or deep cellulitis infection.

Proceed with caution when dealing some abscess', especially if you do not have the correct antibiotics to fight off the infection. Also, note that some staph infections can be antibiotic resistant.

Heaven forbid, you find out the hard way that it was a MRSA Staph infection.

ditch witch and Brokor like this.
  11. ColtCarbine

I somewhat disagree but then that depends on the size and depth of the abscess. Thus far, the three I went to the doctor for and were lanced I found the draining of the abscess/cellulitis to relieve the pain associated with the infection almost immediately.

The most recent cellulitis infection I had drained was just above one of my finger nails. The doctor lanced it without any anesthetic, upon my request. If you have ever had a shot into an infected area then one would know that the shot can actually hurt more than the cutting of your tissue.

Now this particular abscess was quite smaller than the two previous cellulitis infections I have dealt with. Even though this was the smallest one I've yet to deal with it was the most painful one, being the skin was near splitting. There is not much room for the skin to stretch on your fingers.

12. ColtCarbine

Some homeopathic remedies that I have found to work are tea tree oil and drawing salve, these did save me from a trip to have an abscess lanced twice now. I highly suggest trying these prior to lancing to avoid the possibility of further infection.

Trust me the very first MRSA staph infection I encountered got so deep into the tissue and muscle of my upper thigh that my bones hurt for quite sometime. Luckily, the ten days of being on IV antibiotics worked as I was told if it did not, I could lose my leg. None of the previous antibiotics in pill form made a dent in the infection.

It was a very eye-opening experience to say the least.

I can not stress enough to try the above remedies before lancing these yourself, as you can make the infection worse if not careful or know what you are dealing with.

13. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i have had about 8 staph infections and the shots hurt a whole lot more then the actuall lancing!!!

ColtCarbine likes this.
  14. ColtCarbine

Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is an extract from a plant native to Australia. Tea tree oil was used as a topical treatment by the Aboriginal people for centuries.

Why do people take tea tree oil?

Tea tree oil has been used traditionally as a topical antiseptic and antifungal treatment. One study found that tea tree oil worked as well as 5% benzoyl peroxide in controlling the symptoms of acne. It appears to be effective with toenail fungus and possibly athlete's foot. Studies of tea tree oil for other conditions such as gum disease, vaginal infections, and dandruff have been inconclusive.

Tea tree oil has been proposed as a topical treatment for herpes labalis (the common cold sore), but it does not appear to be effective. Laboratory studies have shown that tea tree oil was effective against MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), a type of staph infection that's resistant to many antibiotics. Although these studies are promising, more research needs to be done.

How much tea tree oil should you take?

Tea tree oil is only a topical treatment it should never be taken by mouth.

Because tea tree oil is an unproven treatment, there is no established dose. The concentrations of tea tree oil used in studies have varied depending on the medical condition. For instance, a 5% tea tree oil gel might be used for acne, while a 10% or higher tea tree oil cream might be used for athlete's foot. 100% tea tree oil solution has been used with toenail fungus. If you use tea tree oil, follow the instructions on the label or get advice from your doctor.

Can you get tea tree oil naturally from foods?

There are no natural food sources of tea tree oil. Because of its toxicity, tea tree oil should never be swallowed.

What are the risks of taking tea tree oil?

• Risks. Topical tea tree oil has been reported to cause allergic reactions that can be severe. Tea tree oil may also cause redness, itching, and blistering. It may aggravate burns and skin conditions like eczema. Using large quantities of tea tree oil on the skin could cause severe side effects.
    • For topical use only. Tea tree oil must never be used in the eyes or swallowed. Even in small amounts, swallowing tea tree oil could potentially cause severe reactions, including severe rash, nausea, confusion, and coma.
    Given the lack of evidence about its safety, tea tree oil is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

ditch witch likes this.
  15. ColtCarbine

Drawing Salve
    By Theodoros Manfredi | Medicine | Rating: blueRateSecA. blueRateSecA. blueRateSecA. blueRateSecA. blueRateSecI.

Drawing salve has nothing to do with art. Rather this is drawing in the sense of 'pulling' and the salve is an ointment that can be applied topically to the skin in order to treat a range of problems – such as skin inflammations, boils, shards, insect venom or splinters.

History of Drawing Salve

Interestingly though, drawing salve does not actually pull anything out either – or at least not in the same way as you might imagine. The term actually dates back to ancient times when the salve was believed to 'draw out' evil spirits causing the ailments. Recently however the salve has become popular again and its name has lead to its being used for many 'drawing' applications – on splinters and shards of glass stuck in the skin, and on boils to 'draw' out the pus.

So its use is actually mistaken, and yet many people claim it still works. So the question is, does it, and how can it?

How Drawing Salve Works

Drawing salve is often black in color and is a salve like Aloe Vera. Its ingredients are ichthammol, phenyl alcohol, arnica montana and others. Often it will also include vitamin E, anti-inflammatory and antisceptic ingredients.
    15685Drawingsalve. Drawing salve is actually fairly effective in removing splinters etc and the reason this works is that it softens the skin around the splinter or whatever else is in there and this then enables the body to more easily eject the foreign object. This is something that the body does naturally anyway, but by moisturizing the area and using anti-inflammatory agents you simply encourage this to work more quickly before the wound closes over it. At the same time it can encourage blood flow which will also help to create pus and as the pus is ejected from the body so too will the foreign object.

The other ingredients in the drawing salve will only help the skin, for instance vitamin E is a vitamin that is used by the body to repair and maintain skin. So while drawing salve won't have any magical properties to help draw things out and there is no 'sucking' motion involved. The most active ingredient ichthammol is simply good at softening the tissue and this is how the salve works. Other topical applications then can have this same effect – using a regular moisturizer for instance will work, or alternatively you can use something like honey which will also work.

How to Use Drawing Salve

To go about using drawing salve is fortunately very easy. Simply apply a small amount to the area with the problem and rub in gently (this may be sore around the area). Leaving it on overnight can then be effective and in many cases it will only take one go to remove splinters. Otherwise in more severe cases it may take two or three nights. Once you see the end of the splinter, the glass or whatever it is causing the problem, grab it with some tweezers carefully and then pull it firmly and steadily directly outward.

To treat boils simply place on and immediately around the boil and rub in gently. Choose your product carefully and read what ingredients have been used as these can vary from brand to brand.

16. ColtCarbine

Boil Drawing Salve

Boil Drawing Salve

By Cheryl Cirelli
    If you are interested in a natural approach to treating painful boils, a boil drawing salve can bring the lesion to a head and speed healing. Creating and applying a salve at home may help with this common skin problem.
    Using Boil Drawing Salve
    People have used boil drawing salves for over a hundred years, and perhaps longer, to bring infections to a head and draw or pull puss from boils. Release of pus eases pain and helps the boil heal. Before using a salve for boils, hot compresses help bring the boil to a head.
    Hot Herbal Compresses
    Hot herbal compresses help the drawing salve do its work more quickly. You can use simple hot water and a washcloth, or add several herbs and substances to the water for fast relief. Various home remedies also help.
    • Epsom salts or plain table salt compress: Mix one teaspoon into one cup of very warm to hot water. Make sure the water is comfortable on the skin. Dip your finger into the cup. If it's too hot, add a little warm or cold water until it feels very warm or hot to the touch but you can keep your finger in the water for more than a minute. Soak a clean washcloth or rag in the water, and then apply to the boil for 10 minutes every hour. Do this for several hours. Dry your skin thoroughly and apply the salve.
    • Lavender and tea tree oil compress: Both lavender and tea tree oil contain antibacterial agents particularly useful against boils. Use a mixture of hot water, lavender and tea tree oil to make a hot compress as described above. Drop tea tree oil directly onto the boil for one to two days during the first phases to bring it quickly to a head.
    Always wash your hands thoroughly after treating boils. The bacteria spread easily from person to person and can spread from one area of the body to another.

Choose and Apply the Salve
    You can purchase boil-drawing salves at the pharmacy counter, health food stores and online.
    • Black drawing salve:Black drawing salve contains ichthammol, a derivative of shale that has been successfully used as a skin-drawing agent for over a hundred years. Although black salve smells bad, it does its work quickly and effectively. This salve contains a mixture of 10 to 20 percent ichthammol and herbs such as calendula, Echinacea and others in a base of beeswax and Vitamin E or olive oil. After using a hot salt water or herbal compress as described above, dry the skin thoroughly and apply black drawing salve to the boil. Cover with a bandage, since black drawing salve stains clothing. Repeat as necessary. The boil should come to a head within 24 hours and drain on its own or drain with minimal fuss.
    • Tea tree ointment: A second effective drawing salve for boils is tea tree ointment. Typically, the ointment mixes tea tree oil derivatives with other antibacterial herbal agents. This ointment works to assist white blood cells in their antibacterial role. Puritan's Pride sells a tea tree ointment that is a blend of moisturizing oils and tea tree oil for under $13.
    • Boil Ease Drawing Salve: This particular product includes the major ingredients of black drawing salve mixed with Benzocaine. Benzocaine acts as a topical anesthetic, temporarily numbing the skin, and may be useful for boils accompanied by extreme pain. Other ingredients include camphor and zinc oxide. Drugstore.com features this salve for around $10.
    • Hylands Homeopathic Drawing Salve: An oldie but a goodie, Hylands (also called PRID Drawing Salve) includes components of both a drawing salve and homeopathic remedy. Eight physicians invented this salve in 1903. PRID contains the homeopathic ingredient acidum carbolicum along with herbs such as calendula and Echinacea. Other ingredients include ichthammol, sulphur and silicea. Health Superstore offers this salve for around $6.
    • Turmeric:Turmeric salves contain dried turmeric in a base of hardened beeswax or olive oil. Apply turmeric powder by itself or as a salve to heal boils. Local Harvest sells Turmeric salve in tins and twist up tubes. Their version contains turmeric powder, olive oil and beeswax.
    Recognizing Boils
    Boils consist of inflamed hair follicles in the skin. Staphylococcus aureus bacteria or another type of bacteria enters the hair follicle through a cut or abrasion. Abrasions may be as simple as slight friction burns caused by too-tight clothing or a small scratch on the skin that develops into a tiny cut. The body responds to the entrance of bacteria by sending white blood cells, like soldiers of the immune system, to battle the bacteria. The result is a painful lump, typically less than the size of a nickel, that rapidly becomes hot, red, inflamed and raised.
    After about a week, pus collects in the center of the red area, forming a head. Pus consists of white blood cells, protein and other substances used by the body to engulf and remove the invading bacteria. The boil head may drain on its own, or for particularly painful or large boils, a physician may surgically lance and drain the boil.
    Boils appear most often on the buttocks or in the groin and armpit area. Boils can arise anywhere sweat collects in hair follicles and perspiration ducts.
    Boils as a Warning Sign
    Regular, frequent,or painful boils point to something out of harmony or balance in the body. Some natural health practitioners advocate a fasting diet or other supportive practices to improve overall health. If you suffer from frequent outbreaks of boils, consult a physician, naturopath or herbalist.
    When to Consult a Physician
    In all cases of boils, if the boil lasts for more than two weeks, contact a physician. Boils can become serious skin infections. Boils accompanied by fevers and chills call for immediate medical attention. If a boil has red lines emanating from the affected area, it may indicate a serious infection, and you should seek medical attention immediately.
    Using Natural Salves
    If you or a loved one are prone to painful boils, be sure to stock your first aid kit with a few natural cures. Since boils are painful and annoying, you will want to shorten their duration and intensity with proper self care and home treatment at the very first sign of one.

Fixed it for you @ColtCarbine.....BTPost

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  17. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Monkey

When I was young we use to use this stuff called "Black Salve" for boils, lesions and infected abscessed black fly bites on livestock. I don't know what was in it , but it would burn to the touch a bit. We would put it on and some gauze and after a few hours to a day it would drain it. I don't know if it is for humans however

18. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

we used to use a piece of "fat Back"... worked evetytime

19. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

these are all great ...

but if you ever get the chance you must try the hot glass and cold water trick ... it is impressive ...
    there maybee a youtube video on it also ...

20. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

There's an herbal wound powder that can combat most infections. I can't vouch for MRSA, except that I don't know if anyone's tried sulfa powder. I'll post the formula for the powder tomorrow. if anyone has the book, it's in Herbal Antibiotics, 1st Edition. The 2nd Edition doesn't have the formula.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7