How to drain an abscess

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by CATO, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Hopefully, I never have the need to try it but I am not holding my breath. Anything is better than lancing, pumping your body full of antibiotics and sending the doctors kids to college.

KAS likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

KAS likes this.
  3. sdiver2006

sdiver2006 Monkey

As a wound nurse I see abscesses every day. When we do them, we need to make sure the skin does not close b4 all the the infection resolves. so our incicions are in the shape of a + or linear with an elipse of tissue removed. by doing this it keeps the sides apart to facilitate drainage. Irrigate it, and pack it daily. any soap and water works fine. Peroxide it fine to use the 1st time but after that all the peroxide does is kill heathy granular tissue. The Antibiotic of choice for most MRSA infections is SEPTRA DS/Clindamycin. problem w/these is they cause bad diahrrea.
    By the way I think this is my first post.

Wound care nurse Ft. Bragg NC
    Disabled Vet
    3 Tours
    Father Husband and Grandpa

Sapper John, BTPost and kellory like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am in the middle of dealing with one of these, NOW... Started a week ago, and I ignored it for a week.... Momma gave me "heck" the whole time, and she finally drug me down to the local "Quak in the Box" where "The Butcher from Bosnia" opened it up and drained it all, yesterday.... It fells 100% better today, and I go in for a Repak, in an hour. This is only the Second time in my Long Life that I have had to deal with one of these. You would have thought that I would have learned, the first time.... Doh.... Oh well....

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I sometimes think that men live as long as they do, because they are often enough hitched up to a woman who has the good common sense to attend to those things that the males of the species are prone to ignore. She's a keeper, Bruce. :D

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Oh yea. I figured that out 45 years ago.... and my built-in medical consultant..... Just got back from the first Followup.... The Butcher of Bosnia did his thing and my back is very very sensitive.... but 100% better than before..... the Physical trauma recedes fairly quickly... a couple of hours from now, I will be feeling much better... Mommas is saying this is my "Just Desserts" for ignoring her advice for a week..... and she is of course exactly right....

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7