How to draw out a stinger or splinter

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Feb 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

or riding mower..

2. A little tip on using onions on stings. Peel off 1 layer and "Scrap" the thin membrane off one side. and place THAT side on the sting. Other wise it wont draw. Also you will find doing it will also stop or greatly decrease the sting. The onion actually works to neutralize the poison in the stingers. But you have to remember to scrap the thin coating off.

3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I use it when it's on top like with cactus thorns and bee stings until drys then you can pull the glue off like dead skin with them in it

If it's deep you can take a ball point pen a part and use the end where the pen comes out place over the entrance point and push down hard and hold it may make it pop out

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Glue, especially fast drying high strength like Gorilla glue do an amazing job, you can also C.A. type super glues, the ammonia will help lessen the itch/sting as well as grab the thorn or stinger!

Another neato idea is to use a Black Head remover loop tool, there are a few different types, but you want the double ended version with tight loop on one end and small slot end on the flat end! Press the flat end around a stinger hard amd scrape in the direction opposite its insertion, for thorns, use the loop end, press down and use tweezers if possable to grasp amd remove!

Lastly, coarse steel wool can be scraped backward across a small sticker and will almost always draw it out!
    For deeply embedded stickers, your going to need to go digging, a good long shank sewing needle is the go to, the fine tip for digging and lifting, and the eye for drawing it out!

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Sounds like a Fire Ant bite

6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

You have a picture ofwhaof it looks like

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Bobbie pin and needle or tweezers. Takes a helper to manipulate the tools.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

We call those "Cowkillers" down here. Tough buggers! I'm a big feller, and have stomped these things with my boot, only to have them crawl on their way!

9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

That velvet ant has a stinger as long as it's body and it can go in any direction.

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

These would be great for the glove box of our cars. I think these would come in real handy. I always have a reaction to stings so I will be getting some of these kits. Probably one for my BOB also.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Other day I discovered a splinter and tried with a exacto knife to get it and could not get it so I used super glue and let it set up real good , a few hours later I pealed of the glue and the splinter with it .

12. Not only that, But if you pick em up with tweezers? You CAN hear them squeal! Then there is the Fire worms in FLA. black and orange furry striped catapillers. They burn just as bad as the cow killer ants bite does.

13. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

The glue trick works very well.

Elmer's Wood Glue will do the job. Let it dry and gently peel it off.

Super glue also works. Put the tiniest possible drop on the stinger, and then immediately dump on a pinch of backing soda.

It'll make a hard lump like concrete almost instantly. Blow away the excess powder, then just grab the lump with tweezers and pull it off. The stinger will come right out.

14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've used Elmers with some success. Especially with fine hair cactus thorns.

Usually, I just dig them out with a needle.

I had a brass shaving festering in a knuckle once that I couldn't find with a ton of digging. I just erased the offending area with the bench grinder wheel edge. The clean wound healed a lot faster than the infected one would have.

15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yes been there a few times , coke drops help the pain till work is over.
    Sloth

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Damn, Shes a walking maggot farm!

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

No this is !!! sTRONG GUTS

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

I use epson salt to remove stubborn splinters,just keep soaking it until it starts working its way out,not sure how it works on stingers but it would probably help.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I got a needle and started digging. I think I got it out because the itching has stopped.

I am glad others have tried glue, onion and Epsom salt plus other methods. When the kids were little they hated splinter removal. I always tried adhesive tape then if that didn't work I would get the needle. Glad to now there are other tested and successful methods out there.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My friend impaled himself in the leg with some rotting wood. Big splinter! Bad wood. Went in several inches. This was while camping. Had to cut him open a bit to get it out. Tried getting as much out as possible without cutting much. But couldn't leave the rotten stuff that broke off inside. Wasn't for the squeemish. Funny, it was the boys watching that squealed. Not the girls.

1. TheJackBull
  2. Merkun
  3. DKR
  4. DKR
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. arleigh
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Motomom34
  12. DKR