How to evade near infrared spectroscopy brain imaging?

Discussion in 'Tin Foil Hat Lounge' started by OdinTheDO, Jun 3, 2019.

1. OdinTheDO

OdinTheDO Neophyte Monkey

Does anyone know how to evade having your brain imaged by near infrared spectroscopy? I believe it is a similar challenge to evading being imaged by infrared surveillance. However, in this case, the main goal is just to distort or scramble the infrared light being emitted by the head to prevent imaging. I tried a tin foil hat already, but that did not block the signal. Any thoughts? Maybe cold packs, space blankets not touching the skin...?

EDIT: Here's a link to the Wikipedia page about functional near-infrared spectroscopy brain imaging. Functional near-infrared spectroscopy - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have found that a beer hat helps me evade a lot of things.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3cyl, VisuTrac, 3M-TA3 and 7 others like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The brain does not emit light and even if it did, the skull, flesh and skin (and hair for those that have it) would block it.

Not an issue.

4. OdinTheDO

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

image. If you note, the emitters and receptors are shielded from ambient light by the black cap...so unless you have an apparatus similar to the one pictured, it isn't going to be an issue.
    ETA: actually, a tin foil hat would block the NIR light and its reflection.

OdinTheDO likes this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It never seemed to have troubled US POTUS #44.

[​IMG]
    ;)

7. OdinTheDO

Thanks for this. In that case, I'm not sure if it's near-infrared spectroscopy. Another possibility is that it might be a portable SPECT scanner. Any ideas on how to block that? Or, does anyone know of any functional neuroimaging technique that can penetrate aluminum foil?

My buddies at the lab are playing a prank on me, and they've really stumped me this time! They're brilliant physicists, and I am not, so I really don't know what to do. Please help me.

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

To begin with you must have a brain to scan...

BTPost, BenP and techsar like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

a set of rare earth magnets.

10. OdinTheDO

Is this a serious suggestion? If so, why rare earth magnets?

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You do not know a lot about Photon Physics, I take it?

OdinTheDO likes this.
  12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Of course not, rare earth magnets are too expensive to waste on hair brains.
    How to evade a scan? EZ, don't let them put a helmet on you.

Zimmy likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Become a Zombie or a Democrat......

Both are pretty much brain dead......

14. OdinTheDO

No, I do not. Please "enlighten" me.

Here's my primary question, now that I realize I don't even know what imaging technique my buddies are using: what kind of radiation could be used to perform functional neuroimaging in theory even if the person's head is covered in aluminum foil? To make things interesting, let's say no radioactive dyes or other tracers not normally found in the body would be used.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Unless you are in the Giant Magnet Donut of an MRI Machine, or wearing a Beanie of some kind, You are safe from any external Imaging....

Zimmy and VisuTrac like this.
  16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Ground your foil beanie. Shunts the signal to ground better.

17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

You been had son. Time to plan your revenge now.

ghrit likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

^^^^^^^ What he said. Ah, the joys of enlightenment. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Earth to @OdinTheDO
    You might try sticking with the Survival Monkey mission, it's safer than cranial exposure to strange emissions.

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Everyone knows that aluminum foil is useless. You need genuine tin foil or they can see right through it. You do know that Reynolds Aluminum is a secret government plot designed to keep genuine tim foil out of the hands of everyday people. I've heard so called "experts" say that audiophile grade zero oxygen copper or silver can be used as well, but they are just a bunch of kooks.

@OdinTheDO your friends are asshats and screwing with you. I used to work in an office full of PhD's and later M.D.'s. They are every bit as gullible as anyone else and tend to be just as ignorant outside their field of expertise so don't let them get to you.

Gator 45/70 and OdinTheDO like this.
  20. OdinTheDO

Are you joking about the tin foil part?

I agree that is the most likely interpretation based on what I've told you. The truth is much more complicated than that. I'm sure exactly of how they're doing it, but I am very sure at this point based on many, many experiences that a group of people are using some kind of brain computer interface or functional neuroimaging technique to "read" the words in the thoughts I'm thinking. They refuse to stop doing it no matter what I do. I realize this makes me sound mentally ill, but I'm not. If you can help me figure out how to cut off their signal (which I would be able to tell by inference in several different ways), I will tell you what's really going on. All I'll say for now to hopefully pique your interest is that it's not the government doing it for nefarious purposes. It's people in Silicon Valley and academia doing it for purposes that sound good on paper, but in practice are extremely problematic.

The first problem is figuring out the technique. The company associated with one of the people involved was recently linked to a brain-computer interface published about in this paper: The “sewing machine” for minimally invasive neural recording . This person's company also has access to satellites. I think they can still receive signals through aluminum foil.

I apologize for how crazy this makes me sound. Please humor me.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7