How to harvest protein using your eyes, ears, nose and hands.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by beepete, Oct 8, 2016.

1. beepete

beepete Monkey

The bush is a supermarket filled with food. You just need to know where to look. I learned this technique from my dog.

arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That's a possum?

3. beepete

beepete Monkey

Yep, that critter is an Australian brush tailed possum. Quite different to the animal you have in your neck of the woods. They were introduced to New Zealand back in the 1800's and have done a lot of damage over here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Damage?
    What sort of if I may ask.

5. beepete

beepete Monkey

They defoliate favorite trees over here like northen Rata, and they eventually die. They also have a penchant for birds eggs, reptiles,insect and have almost obliterated a lot of our native species. The government is trying to eradicate them - reckon it can be done by 2050 - but I doubt it. It is not hard to trap 100 + per day or get many hundreds with Cyanide,

6. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

growing up we ate lots of opossum but what most people don't know is they are like buzzards they are scavengers and will eat all manner of dead things but not as a general rule but will not pass up a free meal. they are greasy to cook but taste good when you are hungry about like a ground hog aka woodchuck

7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

New Zealand noodling....good job!

8. beepete

beepete Monkey

You certainly have a lot more animals to choose from in the states. The only native mammal in New Zealand is a bat. All the mammals we have now, deer, pigs, rabbits etc were introduced.

9. beepete

beepete Monkey

Thsn
    Thanks Gray ghost. We used to have an iconic cartoon series in NZ called foxtrot flats. The main character was Nick named the gray ghost.

GrayGhost likes this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

They didn't by chance introduce the Bushmaster at the same time... ohno

11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

How many rednecks does it take to eat a possum?

Two, one to eat and one to watch for cars.

beepete likes this.
  12. beepete

beepete Monkey

No, but they did introduce ferrets, stoats and weasels to try and control the plague of rabbits (rabbits were introduced to feed the miners). Stoats decided NZ birds were quite tasty and chased them as well as the rabbits. Bit like the old women that swallowed a fly.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7