How to mislead with statistics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CATO, May 9, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Federal employees union fires back at Romney - Washington Times

Where I'm from...you make that much you're very well off....UPPER middle class. It's all relative of course, but the suggestion is still there: most govt. workers are middle-class.

What is not explained is that, by definition, 49.999% of federal workers make MORE than $70,000. So, out of the 2+ million federal workers, a ~MILLION make more than $70,000.

Check it out: More federal workers' pay tops $150,000 - USATODAY.com

What would be interesting to see is the number of administrative personnel making 70k. Look in the parking decks of federal garages....all of the Mercedes, BMWs, LandCruisers....admin staff.

2. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

DOD civilians make a killing. I've had some working for me with no college, a few years in the military, and an EMT Basic certification as GS-9 making $41K-$54k. Plus the health care plan is pretty good.

Also, regarding statistics, Sex panther...60% of the time, it works everytime.

Also, 100th post.

3. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

100% of people that post on here have been on the internet at some time in their lives.
    99.873654% of people that died last year were alive at one time or another. (zombie babies don't count)
    People that eat doughnuts get cancer , or reverse that, people that get cancer have eaten one or more doughnut in their life, hence doughnuts cause cancer.........
    Men with ED have seen a woman at least once in their life,,,,,You figgure that one out.

4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

SnowByrd
    Some of the woman I have seen , have caused ED.

Sloth

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

You can prove ANYTHING with a sharp enough pencil and enough variables.

That and 83% of statistics are made up on the spot.

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics"......

Statistics is the way two researchers using the exact same data can come to totally different conclusions to prove THEIR side of the argument.

Close kin to "Scientific Theory"....... A wild-assed guess backed up by shaky unproven data.

:D

7. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

What we down south call a SWAG...a scientific,wild a$$ed,guess!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7