How will you fix a broken bone after tshtf ?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Nadja, Nov 14, 2010.

1. cornmonkey

cornmonkey Monkey+

Stick & DuctTape

2. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Thanks for the Website

Thank you for sharing that excellent website.

3. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Broken bone is only an example. I was trying to address the med problems that we all take for granted at the moment. It was meant to open your eyes much more to the problems of living pretty much on your own with no dr's or hospitals handy much less working. Flu, colds, and of course all the accidents . When you are on your own, you will almost always try and do more then you should with help. Accidents happen much more freaquantly when you try to go it alone. Moving a heavy log , or even trying to build a shelter etc. Accidents in a nano second with no warning, and there you are. Now what ? Have you got the first aid supplies that will be required to keep you alive ? Or are you back in the middle ages with no real help other then a pan of hot water ?

4. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I have seen her on other forums.

BWM

5. JohnP

JohnP Monkey+

Many years ago, when I was 4 years old, I was at my grandparents house and broke my arm at the wrist. My grandmother held my upper arm stationary and pulled on my hand. It hurt like a sumgun. My parents took me to the doctor, who X-rayed it and slapped a cast on it. He didn't have to set it, my grandmother had already done that. I wouldn't recommend this method, but desperate times call for desperate ways. Just saying....

~JohnP

6. drdave

drdave Monkey++

Nadja,

Open femur fracture is a major traumatic event. In this specific scenario avoiding panic will be important as shock is a very real possibility. Also, blood loss both through the skin and in the wound can cause death. Reducing this fracture (putting the bone back in place) will be near impossible in the field and by ones self. Reducing the fracture however will reduce the pain significantly. As mentioned previously, radio comm would have been this gentleman's best hope of rescue. That he crawled 1/2 mile in a wilderness environment is testament to his fortitude.

I carry a SAM splint in my BOB and wilderness kits whenever out and about. A great tool for setting and stabilizing fractures in the field. A most useful tool.

Dr Dave

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

There is a tool called a traction splint. You secure the ankle and actually stretch the leg(slightly of course). The other end goes against the groin area. Be very careful not to set it against the "family jewels" or there will truly be a traumatized patient-lol.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7