Huge eyeball washes up on Florida beach

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Huge eyeball washes up on Florida beach

By Associated Press Published: Oct 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM PDT Last Updated: Oct 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM PDT

121011_giant_eyeball_660.
    This photo made available by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission shows a giant eyeball from a mysterious sea creature that washed ashore and was found by a man walking the beach in Pompano Beach, Fla.

PHOTOS »

MIAMI (AP) - It's not that body parts never wash ashore on Florida beaches. But usually it's not an eye the size ofsoftball.

State wildlife officials are trying to determine the species of a blue eyeball found by a man Wednesday at Pompano Beach, north of Fort Lauderdale.

They put the eyeball on ice so it can be analyzed at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute in St. Petersburg.

Agency spokeswoman Carli Segelson says the eyeball likely came from a marine animal, since it was found on a beach. Possible candidates include a giant squid, a whale or some type of large fish.

121011_giant_eyeball_660.

2. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

And the "eye" was heard to be humming "I ain't got nobody".......
    Sorry :rolleyes:

ColtCarbine and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  3. Quigley_Sharps

Eye of the Tiger o_O

4. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

5. Quigley_Sharps

i'm going with cyclops running with scissors near greece. ;)

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I thought it looked more like one from a large (1000 to 1800 pound) Blue or Black Marlin. There is a replica of one 1400 to 1800 pounds at one of the entrances to the Ala Moana (probably spelled wrong) shopping mall in Oahu Hawaii. I remember quite clearly the large blue eye. ...... besides Large, very large Swordfish are a whole lot more rare than large Marlin now days.
    http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Saltwater-Fish-Eyes-C416.aspx
    it seems there is still alot of dissent about the source. Experts chiming in with Squid, Whale, Swordfish and Marlin. Several sure of what it is, but disagree with others. Oh well. DNA should tell.
    Eric Warrant, a vision scientist at the University of Lund in Sweden who has worked extensively with swordfish eyes, said if the eye is not fake, it is almost certainly a swordfish. But that still wouldn't answer a key question: How would a single swordfish eye wash up on a Florida beach?
    "You usually don't find random floating eyes of any animal," said biologist Sönke Johnsen of Duke University. Johnsen was cautious about making a judgment based on the photos but said, "I'm fairly sure it's just the eye of a large scombrid, likely a swordfish or marlin."

7. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

HOLY SHIT!!! QUICK!! SOMEONE COVER THAT SHIT UP!! SAURAN CAN SEE US!! lol

8. Quigley_Sharps

biglaff

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Hell, just wash it off and give it a quick sear on the grill.
    Olive Oil and some garlic if you must.
    I'm betting it tastes like chicken.[beer]

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Probably some jealous girlfish who decided to show him the meanng of "I'll scratch your eye out" Teach him to ogle the passing school

VisuTrac likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Wouldn't that be a catfish?

melbo and RightHand like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7