Hunger Games: Kids & SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by hedger, Dec 16, 2011.

1. hedger

hedger Monkey+

I noticed the thread about kids after SHTF but I did not want to take that thread down a bunny trail. So, I'm starting this thread about The Hunger Games, which is a pretty interesting series of fictional novels about children in a post-apocalyptic world.

Hollywood has filmed the first novel and it will be out in 2012.

This series is very popular with young readers. If you are looking for an opportunity to get a kid or a group of kids into a consideration of life after SHTF, this is an amazing windfall opportunity for you. Introduce a young reader to this series and watch their interest in SHTF events grow!

My wife and I have both read the whole series. We thoroughly enjoyed them. I won't ruin your reading enjoyment by spilling the plot here. Get the books and enjoy them.

Let me know how you and your younger readers get along on SHTF discussions following their Hunger Games exposure.

2. capt45

capt45 Monkey+

I'm going to have to read these; my students have been talking about the books but I was up to my arse in other stuff.

Could be a good discussion starter.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up.

Any language issues? Profanity and such? I know the TV has this stuff all the time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to purchase a book for the kinder with it inside.

thx

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I am so LUCKY....I had aunts, uncles, and a grandmother, to "instruct" me in the ways of the world and how it was once upon a time...The Depression!

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Monkey+

I've only read the first book. My wife has read them all. I can't recall any profanity. There are, as you might imagine from the premise, a number of adult situations in the first book (I can't speak for the other books) - a little under-age nudity, violence, death, etc. It'll be interesting to see how Hollywood deals with the books.

If you ask around your neighborhood, I can almost guarantee that someone's kids will have the books. We've traded them around our neighborhood. We have Book 1. Another neighbor has Book 2 and so on.

6. Hulka73

Hulka73 Monkey+++

I'm almost done with book 2, Catching Fire and as soon as I'm done I'll be downloading book 3. So far I'm really enjoying them. And no profanity yet, the only nudity was when they were cleaning up the kids for the games. As far as violence, there is some but nothing over the top at all.

7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I didn't like book 3 as much as I did 1 and 2.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

9. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I enjoyed them, as recommended by my teen daughter.
    Foolish to have passed up an opportunity to tie that into prepping instruction.
    I will immediately remedy that mistake.
    Thanks

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I saw them on Amazon's top ten for some time but never paid any attention. But we recently went to the movies and saw a preview of the "Hunger Games" movie coming out. I had no idea what the storyline was until then. It looked interesting so I downloaded the first two books to my Kindle but haven't started them yet.

I love finding rare gems in the pages of the Monkey!! I learned of "Boondock Saints" and "Jericho" from threads I read here. Hope this turns out as good as those did!!

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I read the series when it first came out. It taught some survival skills but it also inspired kids to get involved in archery. Even 4 years from the start of this thread, tweens are still interested in archery. My local archery shop has classes for the younger crowd because the interest is still there.

It is a great skill and to see children inspired by a book then gain confidence is amazing. Schools are now teaching it more.
    Archery Skills Help Students in the Classroom | Archery Trade Association

I think it is great that many little girls wanted to be just like Katniss and ended up learning a skill that is beneficial should SHTF.

More Girls Target Archery, Inspired By 'The Hunger Games' : NPR

Dont, Yard Dart, Ganado and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7