hunting buddies ...

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Homunculi, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Ok. Just a suggestion. :D

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

He'll I don't gut deer I clean them with out even opening them up other than a slit to take out the heart and tender loin

3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

When he calls this year, no one answer there phones.

Solve it right there.

Ganado likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well not answering the phone is one approach but to be honest it smacks of being covert. no insult meant to anyone.

In my Consulting work I deal with this type of thing alot. so I am going to say a couple of seemingly harsh things that aren't meant to be harsh but can be interpreted as harsh.

In communication you can only be responsible for what you communicate. By continuing to carry him past the 1st time and not saying anything you have communicated to your buddy that this arrangement is acceptable to you.

Sometime situations creep up on us and we assume it won't continue but if you have something that bugs you and you don't say something early on, it sets an expectation that the situation is acceptable.

I am saying this because when we each become 100% responsible (able to respond not just react) then we have a great deal of personal power. We have integrity and honesty in all our relationships.

This is a very simple conversation. .. you know buddy, the last 3 years we have carried you and this year if you go hunting with us you should know we expect you to dress and pack your own kill. it's a badge if honor in my family that we behave like men and pack and dress our own kill. you are welcome to hunt with us as long as you are willing to dress and pack out your own kill, are you willing to abide by these conditions.? (you will have your in way of saying this but the two key things are 1) the manly badge of honor 2)asking him if he can abide by these conditions. ... as obvious as it sounds you do have to ask that question and wait for his response.

My hope is you aren't so frustrated with him that you can't have this discussion several weeks before the hunt. So you can deliver it calmly. Good luck!

5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^Post of the year. Said what was impossible for me to articulate. Everyone has a friend like this. :D

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  6. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You don't have to make it complicated, just a new rule going forward - If you kill it, you gut it. My daddy told me that rule before I ever shot my first critter. It should be like the 11th commandment or something.

As a side note, I didn't kill my first deer. I got a little buck fever and screwed up the shot, only wounding it. After tracking it for miles, my dad killed it himself. Then he told me to gut it...then I reminded him of his rule. :D

Meat and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Charge two back straps per cleaning.

Yard Dart, Mountainman and AD1 like this.
  8. Shotgunpapa

Shotgunpapa Monkey

I am 57 years old i hunt drag my own deer hang and skin it butcher it and put in freezer and or can it have had a heart attack i just move slower than i use to. Let him clean his own kill you will be helping him by doing so. That said we all need help some of the time but it is a great filling when you do it yourself.

Yard Dart, Ganado and AD1 like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Most all have nailed it here. Where I hunt deer mostly we HAVE to kill at least 15 does EACH per season. Most get left in the field or taken for dog meat (last year we shot about 2K off the 20K acres). I will always bring a couple home. Normally either dress them in the field and break them up after a few days hung back at camp or just take the hind 1/4 and back straps. It is a given each manages his own hunting. That said one of the guys I hunt with is a wiz on a butcher's knife (we will take home 10-20 deer each season, including some of those taken by the rest of us) and works for beer back in camp. He can break down a body into proper cuts in about 10% of the time I could do half as good a job.

Your friend needs to understand that the HARD WORK is all part of the hunt. If you are keen on retaining this friendship then you needs to deliver it with some tact, Gando above pretty much tells you how. Hopefully he has just fallen into this ROUTINE and does not realise
    how out of line he is. Can't stand gut smells, fair enough (can't say I like them either !) especially if you get the involuntary stomach reaction... buy yourself any of the proven aids to counter this. Some Vicks under the nostrils will work.

Just letting him know early is important so he can make a considered decision to shoot or not when he hunts, left "abandoned" with no coms back about why will test your relationship. Being a good mate means being honest when there is an issue.

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Well I can tell you I have been invited on hunts because I can clean a deer in less than 10 minutes when I have him hung up that's hide off and back strap removed shoulders cut off heart out and tender loin s out and hams off in the cooler and I was taught all of this by my sister which can out hunt 90% if men she will go into the woods before day light and come out way after dark and will clean her own deer or hog but some times there other reasons for people not being able to trail a blood trail it's because they are scared of the woods a lot of game gets shoot just before dark so when it's dark the woods are spooky place to be

IMG_0374.

Yard Dart, Shotgunpapa and AD1 like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Vicks for the smell... great idea!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7