Hunting season done at almost 900 yds

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

A friend ends hunting season.
    892ydsfmaj7. img4200im2. img4202ol5.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Impressive, even if he had all that hardware to help him. I think he may have not had much success packing all that stuff in the woods. Rather curious that he hauled all the benchrest gear (except the computer) up for the photo op.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Two of them packed the buck down for the pic at the foot of the hill, four wheeler is your friend.
    When hunting long range out here you sit and spot and wait for the shot to appear. no need to move around much if you know where to hunt.
    Course he shot it from his house.

4. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

it's reads like a thriller novel. like this guy writes adventure books.

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I would never attempt to take such a long shot at any animal no matter what my personal marksmanship level is. Their are too many variables that can lead to a wounded animal that is not recovered by the hunter.

If memory serves me correct, this is what led the NW states to ban 50BMG rifles from being used to hunt with. To many morons were wounding animals with 50's then just driving off without even attempting to track down the animal. I have absolutely no respect for the above individual, and I would like to know how many times he has wounded his targets just so he can claim this one spectacular kill to fill his inflated ego.

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Is this an unreasonable distance for shooting Pronghorn Antelope, Bighorn Sheep and Rocky Mt. Goat? I've never hunted any of the above but have heard that it isn't uncommon for shots to be in excess of 300-600 yds. in Eastern Oregon. Yes/no or was that a bunch of BS spewing? It's my understanding that these animals have amazing eyesight and that you are lucky if you can get within 300 yds. of them. I know I'm talking about a different species but have heard of some pretty long shots taking these animals down.

7. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

In Eastern Oregon we are blessed with a lot of wide open country where it's not uncommon to have to shoot 200-700 yd shots to hunt big game.

I shot my first bear at 700 yds and put her down with one shot right thru the lungs with my 300 Win Mag with reloaded 165 Nosler bullets. Of course I have an old Redfield Accutrak rangefinder scope on it that goes from 200-600 yds even though the reticle is meant for deer sized targets.

I shot my first Antelope buck this year with my Rem 700 .308 at 250 yds and shot it in the right lung and thru it's heart since it was quartered away downhill from Quigs and myself.

In Eastern Oregon, you can have close shots and you can have long shots to make on big game, so you better be prepared to do either one.

8. jimy

jimy Monkey++

Great shooting.! Must be nice to take something from just outside your back door. Nice 3X3, any idea what it dressed out at.?

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice shot, with me it would have been more of a spotter and "fire for effect."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7