1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Hunting with a tac vest

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by jab73180, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jab73180

jab73180 Monkey

Does anyone here hunt with a tac vest of some sort? I always found it cumbersome to throw all of my hunting stuff in a couple pockets of my jacket.

If you do what's on it? Where is it? Anything on your back?

2. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I use a small backpack with a 2 liter water bladder and a small survival kit,food, and ammo. The got to have stuff I keep in a handy pocket.
    Finster likes this.
  3. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

Too much Velcro on them.

Sent from my MiPhone !
  4. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

I use the old LBV with a pistol belt and a canteen.
    Finster likes this.
  5. jab73180

jab73180 Monkey

I didn't want a backpack in case I wanted to sit against a tree or something. I figured maybe there was more noise with a backpack too.

6. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I use a very manly fannypack ;) Seriously though, great piece of kit.
    And I can spin it back or forwards or to my hip depending on what I'm doing. I don't know about where you are but around here I would try my best to not wear "tactical" gear when out hunting since it has a way of attracting unwanted attention and could get you in trouble.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

Have tried the old web gear with a fanny pack.. The shoulder straps through the eye relief for the scope off to much. Do have a tac vest but haven't taken out to the field yet..
  8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No tac vest here, a little tooo mall ninja for me. If a person wants to look like they are going to battle, sure.

I can carry all I need in a small day pack with a water bladder and the pockets of a jacket and Carhartt jeans.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Sling Pack for the hunt here.If I'm over-night packing I use the Badlands 2200.
    Finster likes this.
  10. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

You always have the option to take off your pack and keep it next to you,which is what I do. Noise isn't a problem if you are careful when moving around. 45+ years of hunting and no problems yet!
    Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

this with a hydration 3lr pack.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  12. Dont

Only thing I am trying to impress would be the deer or elk.. And that would be with marksmanship.. No one hunts around my part of the mountain and anything I use has to be functional.. If it don't work when hunting it probably wont work in the sheet.. Every day and all activity is a practice exercise for harder times.. Even hunting.
    Yard Dart, Finster and BTPost like this.
  13. Dont

Have one of these.. Got when I bought a couple rifles a few years back..

jab73180 likes this.
  14. Finster

Finster GOA, Go team! Site Supporter

Im disabled, and use an UTV, keep all the needs in a backpack with 2 disposable water bottles. As I empty each I pee in them :)
    I have to carry a bit more gear now than when I could walk, I still used a backpack if I was taking food or could possibly be stuck overnight. I found a smallish assault pack (larger than a day pack) was about right, on 1/2 day hunts close to the house I used a fanny pack.
  15. Umilik

Umilik Monkey

I usually take my backpack for early season but for black powder, I opt for the “man-ny pack”. No velcro, convenient pockets, water holster and it’s easy to take off if I’m sitting. Plus, I have a padded seat attached to it with a carabineer. It fits everything I need and gives me the ability to move freely and easily though the woods.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary