Hurricane Lane- what would you be doing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I asked for pics of Hurricane Lane and the boy didn’t disappoint. :D C2796799-EF8D-4CC6-B837-9CBC42B1E26B.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Most people have no idea of the need for prepping, even the most basic level. They might perk up a bit when the storm is coming. I used to go to the local Wally's to watch "the floor show". Hurricane hitting next day, so the horde descends on the store to but things. Bottled water, canned food and drinks, batteries and flashlights. They were crazed. I saw soccermoms literally fighting college kids and softball dads for every scrap of goods. I'd just watch and laugh. Had my preps in already, long since.
    After the storm was over, usually passing us by and just giving us a good rain, the idiots are back at the stores to return those flashlights, batteries, generators, etc. They figured the need was gone. They had no concept of keeping the stuff for the next storm! Foolish people.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The unprepared go feral at the drop of a hat, Guard your preps well!

Homer Simpson, Zimmy and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was hoping people would share what they would do if Hurricane Lane was headed their way. When I read of these natural disasters, I always start mentally preparing for them. A hurricane is not a natural disaster threat to me but someday I may go vacation near the ocean and just my luck, a hurricane would blow through. They say if you do not use it or practice it, you lose it or forget it. I believe the same is with knowledge. IMO it is my way of being ready mentally for when an event does happen.

also- if anyone who has prepped for a hurricane sees that I missed something or could make things easier please share. I posted what I would do on the first page.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Water is always #1 if you can't just drive away.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I suppose I'd board up the house and invite the family to a hurricane party.

After it blew over we'd decide if we needed to report to the local fire department to help out. Plenty of well armed moms and a mean ol' granny would be left behind to tend to grandkids, perform repairs, and provide local support.

The terrain looks like anything that could happen would have already happened when the wind died down. Water shouldn't be standing for weeks like it was in Houston.

If I was on vacation, I'd gather water and BOB stuff as available and assess if I needed to move uphill from the hotel. I'd rather be in a gas station on the other side of a couple of sharp ridgelines than seaside wondering if storm surge could tear the underpinnings of my hotel loose.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

If a big storm is coming, get your important papers (sealed in a plastic bag) and medications together. If you need to leave home, you'll need them. Have some cash on hand too.

Motomom34, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

After having done every thing I know to do ,since I am already prepared for the worst ,is to check on my neighbors and see that they are prepared and then settle down and pray .
    People near you can be an asset or liability and if you don't know them you can't prepare for their invitation .
    Carry an empty gallon jug looking for a neighbor that will provide you some water .
    Not that you actually need it ,but that you want to assess their character. during a disaster people can change.

Motomom34, ghrit and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

If the storm is a 3 or less I'd hunker in the bunker. 4 or more than it's time to get the Plymouth out of Dodge! Been through enough hurricanes to know the drill.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Ganado
  11. Coyote Ridge