'Hybrid mutant' found dead in Maine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

TURNER, Maine - Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

The animal was found near power lines along Route 4 on Saturday, apparently struck by a car while chasing a cat. The carcass was photographed and inspected by several people who live in the area, but nobody is sure exactly what it is.

Michelle O'Donnell of Turner spotted the animal near her yard about a week before it was killed. She called it a "hybrid mutant of something."

"It was evil, evil looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."

For the past 15 years, residents across Androscoggin County have reported seeing and hearing a mysterious animal with chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night. The animal has been blamed for attacking and killing a Doberman pinscher and a Rottweiler the past couple of years.

People from Litchfield, Sabattus, Greene, Turner, Lewiston and Auburn have come forward to speak of a mystery monster that roams the woods. Nobody knows for sure what it is, and theories have ranged from a hyena or dingo to a fisher or coydog, an offspring of a coyote and a wild dog.

Now, people are asking if the mystery beast and the animal killed over the weekend are one and the same.

Wildlife officials and animal control officers declined to go to Turner to examine the remains. By Tuesday, the carcass had been picked clean by vultures and there was not much left of the dead animal.

Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, said it's unlikely that the animal was anybody's pet.

After reviewing photos of the carcass, Coleman said he was bothered by the animal's ears and snout. It reminded him of a case years ago in northern Maine in which an animal shot by a hunter could not be identified. In the end, wildlife officials got a DNA analysis that showed the animal was a rare wolf-dog hybrid, he said.

Mike O'Donnell, who is married to Michelle O'Donnell, said the animal looked "half-rodent, half-dog" to him.

It was charcoal gray, weighed between 40 and 50 pounds and had a bushy tail, a short snout, short ears and curled fangs hanging over its lips, he said. It looked like "something out of a Stephen King story."

"This is something I've never seen before. It's an evil-looking thing," he said.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[worthless]

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I agree with Sniper. We want pics. Haha. No good without them. Could be a snippet from the National Enquirer or something just run in the local paper. 'Show me the mutant!' (If Jerry Maguire worked at the freak show.) :D

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

the BEAST!

OK. Here is a picture:
    mutantbeast..

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Damn! That looks like a human bred a dog!

6. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Werewolf perhaps? It was a full moon last week.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It had to be pretty tough if it took out a full grown rotty and doberman.

Chupacabra...............? [tf]

8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Hmmm.....apparently those rumors of the mating habits of my ex-wife are true !

(Yeah....I'm going to hell....you don't need to tell me )

9. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I killed a feral dog several years back that looked a lot like that, just an ugly mixed-breed dog but he led a pack that gave my ex-wife quite a scare.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My ex could have scared them ---:D One shriek would have sent the pack packing. [rofllmao]

12. 155gunner

155gunner Monkey+++ Founding Member

Looks like a Chow/Wolf hybrid to me. There are still quite a few Eastern Gray Wolves out in Maine, at least when I lived there in the 90's.

13. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Yeah it does look like part chow. Shame they didn't get more/better pictures and look at the tongue.

I don't see anything remarkable here. It's a friggin canine for crying out loud not an ET.

14. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Yall know that thar thing landed in that thar flying ship wats from outer space. Its one them alien wolfs that bite on ya and make ya into a wolf too. :D

Yep. Looks like a dog to me. Just a strange breed dog. My aunt had a dog that was so damned ugly you would have thought it was an alien. I believe it was a pekinese mixed with a shihtzu or something like that. Short furry creature with big bug eyes and a tongue that hung out all the time. Drooled a lot as well. Yep, it was a alien. Haha.

15. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[fnny] @ Pekinese + Shitzu. The crossed name alone...[ROFL]
    More Crossbred Dogs:
    Pichoneise + Poodle
    Peek-a-poo, this dog plays peek-a-boo with... well, you get the picture.
    Pointer + Setter
    Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
    Kerry Blue Terrier + Skye Terrier
    Blue Skye, a dog for visionaries
    Great Pyrenees + Dachshund
    Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
    Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso
    Peekasso, an abstract dog
    Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer
    Spaniel Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle
    Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever
    Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists