HydroPonic off grid Gardening

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I found this thru a guy who test hydroponic gardening.

He posts his mistakes and experiments and he keeps it simple

I may try this this winter. I've done hydroponic in the past and had little success with it because of the inputs required. He makes the inputs simple. This video discussed what he uses for fertilizer and why.

This is a picture of his board used in the video.
    [​IMG]

Gopherman and Brokor like this.
  2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I've also watched many of this fellows vids...
    Pity you're not likely to find a digital PPM or PH meter at any yard sales.

Ganado likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

True.. But a farm estate auction in a box of junk... Maybe... I just love how he took a complex project and made it simple. =)

techsar likes this.
  4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Ganado likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

DKR and natshare like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

It took me a while but here are the results of my low light window Kratky growing experiment.
    the 1st round not too successful I used coffee cans and planted 1" rock wool surrounded with hydrotone to keep down the algae
    [​IMG]
    a year later of the 6 I planted of 4 types of basil, cilantro, and rosemary, I only have one basil left, lemon basil is very hardy.
    [​IMG]
    the basil is on the left, I trimmed it back. on the right is fennugreek sprouts i will show how I made those in a minute

the next picture is the roots of the basil plant, I had to dump all the water, clean out the algae and gently wash the roots to save this plant. I did not do this with the others and the algae got them. Remember this is a non cirulating growing method so you get algae if you don't make the sides dark. I will probably spray paint the sides and see if this cuts more light.
    [​IMG]

natshare likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

initially i set up these tubs with watercress and other greens. The watercress is increadably hardy for a non-circulating system like the kratky method.
    [​IMG]

TWO Jello containers, one for the bottom and one for the top, the plants go in the one with the holes
    [​IMG]
    I put foil on the bottom to keep out the light and keep the algae overgrowth down
    [​IMG]

I did the holes with a cheap soldiering gun
    [​IMG]
    the holes are to aerate the plants, I just pick up the top container 2x a day and drop them back in so that some air is forced into the water. I works really well for a non-circulating system.

These Jello containers from Walmart lasted about 6 months with watercress and then I had to clean sterilize and replant . The mold and algae overgrow got too high for the plants to survive. I did not use the foil on the bottom on the 1st growth. Second experiment is next and it has the foil on the bottom

techsar, natshare and DKR like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

My next go around is when I added the foil and I went to dollar store and got these containers. I bought them because they don't show light thru the bottom and I don't have to use as much hydrotone in them.
    (will insert picture later of what i bought for $1 its not uploading)
    (insert picture of growth
    On the far left are all 3 water cress, they were all planted at the same time but I over did the antifungl on the two smaller ones. So they are a bit behind in growth. On the far right is the Parsley in the containers I made... shown below.

Lids I just put these together and burned a length of hole in the ends so my drip feed cloth could be fed thru both ends and down into the water.
    [​IMG]
    I started with a felted Rayon as my wick but that brought on too much mold so I'm now just using a thin cotton from some old clothes.
    I will post more pics later... not uploading atm

[​IMG]

techsar, natshare and arleigh like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

bump

10. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I am interested and like what you are doing

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7