hydroponics

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by steeled, Feb 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

So basically you are saying a lot of what was already spoken of. If you read through the post you would have seen that I posted that while it wasn't a method to rely on post shtf it is a way to increase production if you know what you are doing. Using a ebb and flow system you apply fertilizer at half the rate you do using a soilless growing media. Therefore saving money in chemical cost. I'm not saying hydro is.right for everyone but it is a definite advantage to those who do know how to properly utilize it...ymmv

Smitty

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And it takes more than just two sets of readings to operate not to mention all the hassles with flora and fauna vermine, it just is not practicle.

Hydro is IMHO strictly in the Hobby Catagory, as a hobby people often ignore the real cost, low output and hours of work needed.

I say this with the experience of 3 years work and two familes working together and ours was not a Hobby effort. But prepping long ago.

FWIW I still have two of the growing bed trays we built.

They will go in a Green House this year and be used as raised beds.

HK_User

3. HK_User

Ahh Smitty, I think you protest too much and make too little of other people's effort, knowledge and back ground.

Or at least that is what your reply implies, you know it's all those "disclaimers" you use.

After all, I do not use chemicles, I've learned long ago the real value of compost.

Better to pick up cow dung in the field than a sack of fertilizer in town.
    Cheaper too.

HK_User

4. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

And at .5 percent nitrogen that cow dung is literally ****....try chicken **** if you prefet to coat your food in ecoli....i have plenty of experience to back up my arguments. I currently manage 30,000 sqft of greenhouses and was the farm manager of the USDA National Vegetable Lab for three years. 6000sqft of the greenhouses I manage are strictly hydroponic and we use a flood floor system. We produce large quantities of hydroponic tomatoes as well as lettuce. Our production cost is 17% less in hydro and we produce 44% more....

Smitty

5. HK_User

Thanks Smitty,

Your post has proved my point.

Hydro is a selective, plant specific, high carbon foot print, mass produced, high dollar operation.

It also proves that you are in the chemical world and that you may have never experienced a real working organic garden. Again you talk down to others by saying " And at .5 percent nitrogen that cow dung is literally ****....try chicken **** if you prefet to coat your food in ecoli". Your assumption is that the natural fertiziler is applied directly to the plants and that I am too dumb to understand not only the organic world and how to produce safe produce but that I do not understand the mass produced world you in which you are employed.

Not to mention that Tax Money "USDA National Vegetable Lab for three years." and "Big Business" money which are certainly backed by bank loans ("I currently manage 30,000 sqft of greenhouses"), instead of a down home growers expense, be it chemical or organic, that comes from their own pocket indicates you are disconnected from the real world of the small time producer.

FWIW, I am in the electric/electronic control design world and I am aware of the electronic controls, skills, work force and building process to accomplish building the place that you work. Not to mention the expeses to build it but also what it takes to keep it in operation.

Just be content to go to work today at the chemical farm and know that others in the organic growing world know what they are doing.

Government Taxes and Big Business can buy a man's work, no one can buy a farmers love of his land, or the care he gives his live stock or produce.

HK

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Organic Dirto vs Inorganic Hydro....both have a place

Hi Smitty and HK.....I have been watching you both, slugging it out as proponents of what would "seem" to be diametrically opposed systems of food production. I realise that I am not a moderator, and have no particular standing here, but I am feeling that the "debate" if one can call it that, is reaching the realms of value judgement and personal preference. I don't think either of you are going to become "converts" to the other's way of looking at the issue, so I am not sure what is going to be achieved by a continuing iteration of contradiction, other than the kind of ad hominem sniping that seems to happen more often than needs to be case at this site.

I would like to say that both methods are valid ways of producing food, and both have their merits and demerits. As a survival strategy, I see them as being complementary rather than exclusionary methods...it's a bit like the perennial argument...which is better...a revolver or a semi auto pistol. Now that's an argument to produce broken noses and cauliflower ears and not a little blood on the SM floor....and in truth, there is no perfect, right, universal solution...what might be be best in any one circumstance will depend on a whole range of different factors....for myself I don't see what I may carry (if I could carry) has to be necessarily just one..or the other. I like the idea of having both....one as a main weapon...and the other one as a backup. If one fails for whatever reason...I always have a way of carrying on the firefight before having to use the handgun as a hand club. So to do I believe is the situation with organic dirto vs inorganic hydro options.

Now an interesting discussion would be for each of you to advocate for the opposite person's point of view, and consider what you...and we all might learn from that experiment...purely optional of course...absolutely no pressure! ; )

xspecimen and Sapper John like this.
  7. HK_User

Not going to happen, Smitty has a job, I have a passion, a garden and cattle.

HK

Ganado likes this.
  8. chelloveck

I don't think that Smitty is any less passionate about his work, than you are about your garden and cattle....therein lies some of the basis for the (apparent) irreconcilable differences....the suggestion was just a fanciful thought I had at the time. I'm prone to have them from time to time...(fanciful thoughts that is).

9. HK_User

Glad to see you came to your senses. Have another cuppa, spend a penny, get in your UTE and go knock up your neighbor.

HK

Before the rabble goes crazy, please note the above reply contains some long ago OZZ phrases.

10. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

If only you wouldn't make assumptions your arguments would be much more valid. I grew up on 600 acres where we raised cattle as well as organic vegetables. 30,000 sqft is less than an acre...not so big business. 6,000 sqft is hydroponic 18,000 sqft is organic. The USDA Vegetable Laboratory didn't pay my salary, a land grant agriculture college did. We had 450 acres outdoor in production 150 of which was certified organic. Just sayen...

Smitty

xspecimen and BTPost like this.
  11. HK_User

Looks like you might want to go back and read your own post. In those you seem to be the "Assume King", no, really go back and read your one liners.

Then get back with me.

HK

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The determination of whose expertise is greater has become tedious. What started as an interesting thread has gone well of the track off "how to." So there are three choices.
    To edit out the useless posts and let the thread live.
    To lock the thread and let it stand as an example of how not to bump one set of experiences against another.
    To leave it intact and alive and let the flaming continue.

I'll revisit this later today.

BTPost likes this.
  13. chelloveck

Ghrit,

If you decide to prune the ad hominem argy bargy, I have no problem with you also deleting my posts #13, #19, #20, #26, #28 and #33....to compress the thread. Locking the thread just denies others the opportunity of having some reasonable input.

14. HK_User

Sorry , but I do not see any of this as a Flamming Contest, certainly not my intent and no one was called any name.

You kill it now and you kill all possiabilites of any public understanding of how two diverse members think.

So if that is your choice just wipe it off the wall.

HK

15. HK_User

To the point

When I first signed on it was because I stumbled across this site.

From the get go I was accused by two maybe three members as being a shill for another.

All assumptions and all wrong.

Then a Moderator broke his own rules by refering to my home town. Sombody caught it and it was soon edited out.

Like they say, don't junk no rocks, lest you get some on your self.

Just sign me out.

HK

16. Defiant_River

Defiant_River Monkey

I've never tried hydroponics but have been reading up on aquaponics. Bought a pool, aerator and a couple heaters and we are setting it up this weekend. When we get the pool up and running I'm ordering 100 Tilapia to put in the pool.
    My first idea was to just raise fish to eat but read up on using grow beds to raise veggies and thought I'd give it a shot. I think we may try to power it with solar power.

17. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Sounds interesting. I've never given it any thought. Let us know how it goes. It sounds like a project I'd like to learn more about.

18. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have had one failed atempt at aquaculture with channel catfish, and would like to recycle most of the equipment purchased for that atempt and adapt it for an aquaponics set up. I will reconfigure so that I have 3 tanks of 100 gallons with 40 to 50 tilapia in each. 18 to 24 grow trays 32 x 2o x 10 inches, and a 100 gallon sump tank to recycle water back to the fish tanks. Grow medium will be peagravel. The link is where I got the idea. I am not looking to participate in an arguement about pro and con of this set up, but I am looking for positive ideas for improving and making it work.
    http://blip.tv/thecommonchef/episode-10-here-fishie-fishie-fishie-6071712

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

HK_User and Tobit like this.
  20. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

my hydro tower is pretty amazing and has been well used.
    i'm 100% certain i could get away with using filtered compost tea in lieu of chemical fert...
    the ONLY thing i would run out of is PH UP/DOWN and test solution...
    20 litres of all 3 would easily last a lifetime.

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  1. deMolay
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. AxesAreBetter
  6. theOneGuy
  7. Gopherman
  8. Ganado
  9. Mindgrinder
  10. Mindgrinder
  11. chelloveck