I am attempting to befriend some ground squirrels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Jun 21, 2019.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Using the democrats technique of suckering people in for they vote only to make them slaves I figure the intellectual level is not much different and these squirrels are great eating . .
    I have a pile of wood some of which is poplar and pithy not really good for fire ,never the less the squirrels are having a ball racing through the pile . I put some bird seed in one of the biscuits hollows and let the squirrels have at it .there is about 8 or more .
    As a kid in the mountains I had 5 grey squirrels tamed to some degree but they were legally protected and a serious fine of taking them .
    Every one fed them. some ended up being road kill but I never ate any of them. but these ground squirrels I have eaten and they are good , kind of nutty tasting .

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

How about a den trap? You could build them a cozy home in the back yard where you could occasionally block the only exit and rip the roof off their home to see how they're doing. ;-)

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I feed a few dozen at a stop on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.

Smart Dudes, Train stopped they came swarming out to feed.

Chicago style> FEED ME.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

2 victor conibear 110 model coil spring traps. make a wood box with scraps, about 5 inches high and across and 18 inches long. both ends open. set one of the traps with the spring straight out from that side. measure how high up on the side that spring would be if you wanted to slip the trap into the end of the box 3 inches or so. mark that height on side of box end and cut 3/4 slot for spring about 4 inches in. repeat on other end of box.
    now you need to place 2 or 3 deck screws thru middle point of box top and bottom. that's where you place bait for squirrels before you place traps already set in each end of box. box should be set near tree squirrels use.
    check it at least twice a day if not every 4 to 6 hours. it will catch and immediately kill the squirrels
    Happy squirrel stew gravy over biscuits ..... yum yum
    If you made this big enough and set them around congress baited with money, you could drain the swamp of Dems and greedy Rinos

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Oddcaliber, Dont, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

'Roun deez pahts, "ground squirrels" are chipmunks. They just LOVE bird seed and will eat out any and all the bird feeders you can fill. I use live traps and "relocate" them in condition for the crows to clean up, my birdy buddies need the protection due family.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I tried trapping but they remain too wild and you can't force a critter to be tame you must gain it's confidence . Leaving them free is far cheaper and less complicated.
    Besides I have already gained the confidence of the rabbit population and they are unafraid of me .
    I know that the local raptor population will be visiting my place to harvest the squirrels and rabbits eventually they always do . It's my way of feeding them so to speak .
    Push comes to shove and some world changing event occurs the wild life I hope to encourage will be mostly around my place.
    I had a few dove but the hunting season took them out last year I think . But that is just a part of life I've learned to accept much like loosing a chicken to cats , but the cats keep the mouse/rat population in check just as birds keep the insect population in check .
    I have bees here as well but they are not under my control ,but when the green house is finished I hope they will visit there too .

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I’ve been keeping up a few bird feeders,, humming bird juice, the bird feeders are keeping the squirrels busy,, and the spilled seed is keeping the chipmunks circling ,, about a half dozen doves have been a cooing,, the rabbits are a steady population for the past 10 years. And a few owls and hawks may keep them all in check.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and HK_User like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The beauty of keeping animals like this is that they are not pets so there is no guilt in killing them for food if necessary.

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Killing is such a harsh word ,, I prefer harvesting ,,,:D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I guess harvesting is a better word , you don't actually kill carrot till you cook it.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and SB21 like this.
  12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Ruger 1022 with a good 4x scope!

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  13. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Savage 17HMR with a good 4x scope!:whistle:

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well,, guess I gotta add coons to my list. Drove my tractor around the side of the house with a load of firewood and a coon was digging around the bottom of a maple tree. Figured they was here,, just never saw one. I’ll have to keep an eye on this one,, Not used to seeing coons in the daytime.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We always had coon's,bobcats,gators at work out doing their thing during sunlight.

SB21 likes this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well I knew they were around, ‘specially with the crick in the back yard. Just never seen’em. Seen the possums around tho. I’ve not heard the yotes out lately. I wish I had some gators around here,, I’ve heard they’ll sneak up and lay on the grill when the coals are just right. [LMAO][LMAO]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Better learn how to cut out the glands! A goodyear tire would taste better.

oldawg, Oddcaliber and SB21 like this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If they were a local critter here ,, I'd have that figured out .
    I may have to take a little vacation to the Bayou's to learn some new skills one of these day's ,,, I'd love to be able to jump in the boat and run out and drag in some fish , shrimp , gators, or mudbugs . I'm getting to the point I can't trust my local inland waters for a food supply anymore . Our last rainstorms caused one of the towns sewer plants to dump 100,000 gallons of raw sewage into my favorite lake , of course it's not the place it used to be back in the 80's tho . Gonna have to head north or east to escape the crap from the cities .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Them catfish going to be fat in that lake!

20. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yep ,, but they ain't gonna be worth eatin',,As you said earlier ,, a goodyear tire would be better ,,

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7