I am back after recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cschattner, Feb 26, 2017.

1. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Hello everyone
    Thought I would pop in and give a quick update after my first attempt to start my self relient life style failed in an epic explosion.

I moved back home to my birth state of Wisconsin from the hell of Minnesota. I left my carpenters union up their and decided to just leave that career all together. I loved construction work but the union itself and the stuck up pricks I worked with made me miserable.
    It was a rough restart of my life. An old job I had at a farm found out i moved back and asked me to work for them again so I went back to them. They don't pay well but I liked working for them and it helped ease the financial pain.
    It didn't stop the bank from taking my vehicle back since I couldn't make the payments. The engine blew anyways so I was happy to hand it back to them. It was basically a large paperweight.
    Took me a while to find official full time work but I did end up at a factory that paid dirt but it got me into an apartment have been their for the past 10 months while i spruced up my application and went to interviews.
    I got job offers but they where insulting ones. I am talking $10 an hour and health insurance that took up the entire pay difference. 2 weeks ago I went for job interview number "who knows anymore". Initial interview went well and 2 days later I got called for round two. They loved me so we hashed out the details and I put in my 2 weeks notice at the factory.
    The factory manager told me that if this doesn't work out I will always have a place their. Lesson in not burning bridges.

I start the new job in the morning. I still work for the farm as well as this new job since they need me and I like being their.

I have been working on a new savings plan with my new knowledge of how things exploded last time.
    My aim is for land with an existing house that is a 1 bed and needs work. Zoned for agriculture and hoping to save enough to buy cash or at least pay for most of it.

Fingers crossed for round number two.

natshare, Motomom34, GOG and 11 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Good luck with the plan. Got to keep your eyes on the goal.

3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Good luck

4. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Thank you both, it was a harsh learning curve but it's been getting better.
    Was homeless for a while but managed to get back up their.

Spent a while at a woman's shelter. The staff only saw me for about 5 hours a day since I left one job, slept for 5 hours then worked 3rd shift at the factory. Rinse and repeat 7 days a week.
    The other residents kept asking me how I was alive.

Side note I have found out I am a 3rd shift person. I hate mornings and I am never going back to 1st or 2nd shift.

Motomom34, chelloveck and stg58 like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Glad to see you hanging tough...to quote a line from a tacky movie, "never give up, never surrender!"

I hope things work out better this time. Life is full of potholes, learning to drive around them takes time and patience.

Welcome back! :)

chelloveck likes this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Thank you and yes so many potholes.
    I have been getting many comments from acquaintances and friends that my personality and mood have made a huge turn around.
    I was very sour and bitter from the whole ordeal.

chelloveck, techsar and stg58 like this.
  7. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Some would fly the white flag and go on the .gov EBT welfare dole.
    Sounds like that is not you, keep up the good fight!

All The Best!!

chelloveck and techsar like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Fighting the good fight... Respect!!

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What's that old saying? "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Strong enough to lift the lid on the casket and rise from the ashes.

Good luck and Live with Courage!

chelloveck likes this.
  10. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

We will see if my plan gets me where I want to be :)

chelloveck likes this.
  11. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Good luck and Blessings to go with that :). Our families quote has always been to pull yourself back up by your bootstraps and try again. Looks like you are and have done that.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I wish you well.

13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL! not funny that you got the car repo'ed but the paperweight remark is great.

@cschattner I am so glad that you stopped by. I have often wondered what happen to you. You had such drive and dreams and that community was not welcoming at all. Sounds like you may have landed a nice position. You certainly are a tough lady.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

It's been a long day. The orientation was dry......hoping the day will go faster by me running the machine instead of filling out 500 sheets of paperwork.

I am almost done paying for the new to me vehicle. My boss has let me make payments on his old truck all year so I can have a running vehicle.
    He went through a nasty divorce and had to hand a vehicle over to the bank as well so he basically took putty on me :(

It's old but it runs and I like the older model chevy's more anyways.

GOG, chelloveck and sarawolf like this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@cschattner, you're a living exemplar of the quality that all preppers and survivors should strive towards....resilience! More power to you!

Gafarmboy, RightHand and cschattner like this.
  16. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Thank you @chelloveck
    I have been told that my stubbornness will be the death of me though lol. Being only 25 I should not feel like I have gone through enough stress to satisfy a 90yo.

Hoping to have my tiny home built and ready to go into storage by next spring since I might be gone for a while.
    I need to get out of this apartment, my landlord is a mix of a nice guy but a freaking slumlord when it comes to fixing stuff.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@cschattner, never underestimate the restorative powers of an ice cream cone once in a while. :)

Trust me, I'm old I know what I'm talking about. ;)

chelloveck likes this.
  18. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

Oh I do believe in a nice custard from culver every once in a while.

GOG and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7