I bought a new rifle yesterday

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Kamp Krap, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Can't pick it up yet to show it off but it is a Henry 450 Bushmaster single shot. I ran a box of ammo through it at the gun shops range and was more than a little impressed with it. Cost was $550 so not cheap but not expensive either. I got it mostly for the Rifle Deer Season that requires the rifle to be single shot, large cal. straight neck cartridges. LOL can't use my .700Nitro Express because it is double barrel and well I would like something other than just deer's hooves and nose left. I really like the feel of the bushmaster in the hands and the sheer simplicity of the design and operation. 450 is a bit overkill for my needs but that is all the shop had in stock. I grabbed a couple of boxes of Hornady Hollow points for it and a big box of 1200 Can't remember the brand .450 White Tails...... LOL do remember they are 245gr soft tips. Anyway seems to be a high quality single shot breech load rifle at a reasonable price to me and a nice comfortable weight of around 7 pounds.

I actually went looking for a single shot rifle chambered for .357mag or .350 Legend ahh well times are hard and you take what you can get :)

GOG, Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Been wonderin' how you and the missus is doing , hope all is well .

Picking up new firepower is always a good day ,, hope it serves you well .

3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

You bought 1200+ rounds?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

5. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I think you will like it. I got the same Henry this winter in .44 mag.

6. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

GOG, Dunerunner, mysterymet and 4 others like this.
  7. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Chemo is done and surgery day is fast approaching. Got to where the chemo was killing her and she was spending more time in the hospital on IVs getting here blood pressure up. Only good think about the chemo is it did shrink the tumor away from a big vein that was a major concern the surgeon had. So Surgery Will be 7-14 hours depending on what the surgeon actually finds inside and any complications that might arise. Going to take out the lymphnodes, 1/3 of the pancreas, part of the bile duct, and a stretch of the duodenum and then reconstruct it all with what is left. Surgeon says she will be in the ICU a minimum of 7 days post surgery and more likely closer to 10 days and another 7 days in the hospital but out of the ICU. Then she gets to come home and spend 8-10 weeks in bed or her recliner. And the surgeon makes no bones about it, this is a high risk surgery with potential for multiple complications during and after surgery. SO a risk of death with the surgery and certain death without the surgery. This has been one long hard road already and we just getting ready to get onto the real rough stretch of it :( Been a mental nightmare for me so far and a worse mental and physical nightmare for her. I just want it behind us and her to get on the mend and getting better. I don't even want to consider life without the love of my life and best friend.

Horsegal, GOG, mysterymet and 11 others like this.
  8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Pulling for you both KK.

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here Sir .
    Sloth

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Henry makes fantastic firearms and I have wanted a 30-30 by them for a long time. Now, hearing of your new purchase, makes me want to scratch that itch too.

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Nothing but good things to say about the .450 Bushmaster, great chambering and easy to work with, plenty of power and a modern design! A nifty little shingle shot makes this a fun little game getter for sure!

I went the other way a Doumoline Mauser 98 in .500 Jeffrey, 4 rounds of 500 grain solids as fast as I can run that butter slick bolt, and terminal performance to rival some of the greatest loads ever!

Glad to hear the Mrs. Is getting along, prayers her surgery goes well, and she can mend trouble free!

GOG, Dunerunner, Kamp Krap and 5 others like this.
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Prayers for you and your Mrs, KK. God's will be done.

13. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug] @ all yall

14. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I need to get back to the town in that direction and pick it up since the wait timer ran out. LOL everything I have to either keeps me here or going in the opposite direction. The wait time annoys me! They say it is so someone can't just go buy a gun and then go kill someone......... Like if I wanted to kill someone, I couldn't just grab one of the other guns and go do the deed. And the other reason is to allow time to do the background check...... Almost all of the gun shops I use do the form on the computer and the background check is either Approved, Denied, or Pending within minutes. Just don't see a reason for the wait when it comes back approved. I could go with the wait if it was a first time gun purchase but then we would get into THEY are keeping a data base with You in it...... Like they are not already keeping a Data base with you in it LOL. When the shop fills out their forms and puts your name on the paper with the model and serial number of the gun...... you are in a data base. It just annoys me to have to wait and make a second trip to town to pick up a gun that there is really no valid reason that I could not have just taken with me after the background check passed and the gun paid for.

Anyway the Henry 450 Bushmaster was one of those guns that just felt near perfect in the hands and shot exceptionally well on the shop range. And I love the simplicity of it. A very high quality gun for the price.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

“Might be a State Statute specified Waiting Period, after Approved Nics Check…

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pu$$y,,,,try waiting 9 months to a year for a frigg'n suppressor to pee-lay hogs and coyotes with...and its not even a firearm?

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Kamp Krap like this.
  17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Kamp Krap "When the shop fills out their forms and puts your name on the paper with the model and serial number of the gun...... you are in a data base."
    I agree totally. People will tell me, "Oh! It's against the law for them (FBI, etc.) to access that data, blah, blah, blah, need a court order, blah, blah, blah," and I have one answer, "Sure it is, like laws matter to them." We're all in a database or if you want to get specific, on a list.

Dunerunner, oldawg, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  18. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

It is, IL Has a 72 hour wait that starts ticking at the time the Background check comes back as passed.

Dunerunner, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

They'll change it to a week.
    Then 28 days. It's not even a month, they'll say.
    Then six weeks...you get the picture.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They tried that type of crap before and SCOTUS Slapped them down Hard… As I recall the SCOTUS Precedent was anything more than a few days as a “Cooling Off Period” was UnConstitutional… You are not allowed to suspend a Constitutional Right by enacting a lengthy “Cooling Off Period”. That would be considered Prior Restraint… and UnConstitutional…

GOG, Dunerunner, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7