I don't think traditional retirement savings is going to work

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, May 14, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm up almost 19% year to date and 13% over the last year in my tech and medical tech fund. By comparison the fund it's self is -7% for the last 365 days and only up 11% since the start of 2020.
    So that's the advantage of running from large cap and hiding in bonds when the market takes a dump.
    I think July has had most of its gains for the year, I'm about to change over into bonds again.
    Last time I was up nearly 20% it was an election year, I didn't quit while I was ahead and ended up losing about half of those gains.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    TinyDreams and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I locked in my gains and put it all in a T bill fund.
    T bills have been killing it this year.
    The market will probably go up some more but I'm locking in my nearly 19% gained for 2020.
    If I put it in a cash fund that makes about 0% per year and leave it there this will be my best or second best year since 1999.

If the market does take a dump around election time I buy back in after the market had bottomed and make another 5% by the end of the year and maybe have another 15% to 20% for 2021.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The T bill fund is up half a percent already and with my contributions going into the Maga fund it's made a little so I'm at 20.50% for 2020.
    If I could do this every year I might be able to retire.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Due to the china virus relief bill you are able to withdraw from your 401k pr roth and repay the tax hit over 3 years.
    I am highly tempted to raid it and put it into my fold since the government has only demonstrated their willingness to further lockdown, restrict and sabotage what you can do with it or how fast you can grow your own money.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Also I think the stock market has leveled off. Stock market people saw the democrats convention and are like oh Jesus TF christ...
    I sold stocks about a month ago, so a little early, but I wanted to lock in my 20.5 to 21% for 2020.
    I can call the bottom a little better than I can call the top.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That didn't take long.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I figure if the current crop of people remain in power they will confiscate all of our 401k and redistribute them in the name of equity.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's why I emptied it out.

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Im trying the same here , Called RRSP
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. enloopious
  2. Motomom34
  3. The_Prepared