I got bored. New BOB...

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by RaymondPeter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. RaymondPeter

RaymondPeter Simple Man

I have a problem. Most bug out bags (mine included) are just too damn big for my use. No, it’s not that I can’t carry the weight, far from it. You see, if I have to bug out, where I’m headed I just don’t need a full survival kit that I can survive out of for weeks on end. No matter what route I take, at a forced march pace I could easily make it to the family farm in 2 days, 3 if I am with others that may be slightly slower. If I/we are on bikes even less time... Plus it isn't rough country where I would have to live off the land or anything like that.

With that in mind I’ve been going through some items and various people's lists and have come up with this list of items that I need, and a few that just make things a bit easier. Sure I could get by with even less if need be, and maybe I’ll whittle the list down even more later, but so far this is what I’ve come up with:

Food/Water
    1 water bottle with built in filter (filled before I head out)
    5-10 water purification tablets (to back up the water filter)
    2 packs energy drink powder
    8 energy gel packets
    4 energy bars
    1 pack of chewing gum
    2 rolls of Life Savers or Charms
    1-2 MREs

Fire
    1 windproof torch type lighter
    1 magnesium and flint (back up to the lighter)
    1 medium to large piece of charcloth or a few cotton balls soaked/coated in Vaseline

First aid/Medical
    1 small “basic” first aid kit
    1 tube of chap stick
    1 small bottle of sunscreen (I’m paler than pale, so I burn easily)
    1 small can of Deep Woods Off

Shelter/Clothing
    1 small to medium sized tarp
    1 space blanket
    1 lightweight sleeping bag made from military style poncho liner
    2 pairs socks
    1 baseball cap (for the sun, may need sunglasses too)
    1 small wool "watch cap”
    1 running shirt (wicking style)
    1 pair lightweight gloves
    1 bandanna (red, which can be used for signaling)
    1 set full rain suit (pants, jacket with hood)

Misc.
    1 .22LR pistol with 50 rounds ammo (one small box)
    1 small L.E.D. flashlight (red lens)
    1 small shake to charge or windup flashlight
    1 Swiss Army knife or Leatherman multi-tool
    1 GI Style, folding entrenching tool
    1 roll toilet paper (flattened with core removed)
    $75 in mixed bills (mostly ones and fives)
    $2 in quarters

All this will easily fit into my back back with still room to spare for extras that I might need. This is my warm weather kit and obviously in cold weather items will need to be added to this list. I have tried not to include things that I would normally have on me no matter what (i.e. cellphone, credit/debit cards, etc) or items that I wouldn't need on this trip (i.e. fishing kits, maps, mess kits, etc). This isn't a SHTF get out of dodge kit. This is more an emergency situation is forcing us to leave town and we are unable to take the car for whatever reason. One more thing, this is MY kit, not my wife's. Her's will have similar items plus the normal feminine products that she may need, as well as having any extras that she feels she needs or would like.

**NOTE**
    I will still keep my regular BOB for other emergencies, but for most this will get me back home where I have more than enough gear...

2. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Nice. I'd check the flashlight to make sure the battery actually can be recharged (some of the windups/shake types from China turn out to have a non-rechargeable battery). Also a mini bar of soap.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

-More skivvies then you listed
    -Larger caliber handgun and a light rifle
    -3/4 ax, you have fire starter but nothing to cut up fuel
    -More socks, two days walking will eat up more than two pair, especially if you get wet
    -Substitute a larger flashlight, more light for signaling
    -All band radio to keep abreast of possible problems en route, substitute for the wind up flashlight
    -Paracord for tarp rigging
    -Up the MRE count in case of a third day on the trail or your destination is not safe when you get there
    -Bandanna can also be used to keep the sun off your neck, and as a face cloth
    -Handi wipes
    -Add a compression pad to the first aid kit, bandaids may not do if you trip over a root and get a puncture somewhere inconvenient from a twig (Don't ask --)

I am not too sure the water quantity is enough, especially forced march. If you get pushed off your intended trail, you may not find a source. Your call on that one.

Yes, you can cut down if short scampers will get you out of harm's way. But, if as you say, the load is not a problem as listed, then these should be useful. Especially the ax, which you can substitute for the entrenching tool (cut sticks to dig a hole for the obvious. Might take longer to dig, but takes a pound or three off the load.)

4. GLOCKENNBOOMER

GLOCKENNBOOMER MONKEY MILITIAMAN

I like it.
    How about a small windup radio?

5. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Agree with Ghrit, good additions, except:
    Does RP really need a large flashlight? It's heavy and he isn't going to be signaling.
    Carrying a rifle changes your group from "refugees" to "armed intruders" for anyone who sees you. Presuming a disaster or SHTF situation most folks will stay home but law enforcement may be active. Unless you expect total anarchy a .22, hidden but carried so it's immediately available, not in the backpack, should chase away most 2 or 4 legged problems. The rifle should be stored at your destination.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[beer]

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I've unfortunately discovered that of the 4 BOB's I've packed, I'd need 1 horse or a pack mule to carry any one of them.
    I know it's all about having the 'just in case' supplies, but too often I figure if 1 is good 4 are better!
    It dosen't stop there either!
    I have 1 bag for food and another, just with water bladders.
    I've considered a BUS, but there's no parking for it where I live, and I seriously doubt they'd be happy to see a covered wagon with oxen or horses out front!
    Back to the pre-selected and prepared site.....
    That's the ONLY way I can see to have what I need, not necessarily what I'd like to have.
    Then, all I have to do is to get to the site!
    Considering a move!
    Bill

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Good basic GHB - But i'd make the following changes:
    Ditch the entrenching tool - they are HEAVY. Use a light-weight garden trowel to make your 'cat-holes'.
    No axe - a good fixed-blade hunting knife (NOT an obvious RAMBO type!)
    and a Sierra Saw for firewood. Much lighter and more useful. You won't be needing a bonfire. If expecting possible trouble from other 'travelers', I'd use a cold camp well out of sight ("stealth camping").
    Augment the MRE entrees with foil-wrapped meat packets - more calories and fat - necessary when 'on the move'.
    Use a pack with a hydration bladder - more water is good, and you can hydrate on the run.
    Substutute the second flashlight with a good LED headlight - excellent when moving at night, or making camp - keeps hands free!
    Carry extra batteries for lights and radio. Radio should have an ear bud, to maintain silence on the trail.

9. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

This is some what random.
    Out 1 small to medium sized tarp
    Out 1 set full rain suit (pants, jacket with hood)
    Out 1 small wool "watch cap”
    Out 1 pair lightweight gloves
    Out 1 bandanna red
    Out 1 GI Style, folding entrenching tool.

You need something to boil water in.

Get some clear vinyl tablecloth protectors 60’X90’ should be about right. They weigh almost nothing and you will be able 360. $1.00 Dollar Tree.

Take one of the tablecloth protectors and place it on the ground cover that with a space blanket and fold it over. Wrap yourself in the other space blanket then put your poncho on lay down and pull the other tablecloth protector over you and now you have a house.

Add poncho to go with liner.

Add at least 1 space blanket

Even in the summer you need to have some wool socks in your kit. When it is hot the road will burn your feet up.

Just get a cheep black stocking cap at the thrift store and blackout the logo with a marker. .50-75 cents

You will need something to keep you warm. It gets cold at night even in the summer so pack up some warm clothing.

Get you a pair of micro weave polyester pants, they do not soak up water and dry very fast. $2.99 thrift store.

Where is your compass.

Leather gloves.

A bandanna is a good thing to have but make it a black, brown, tan or green.

A big bath towel is a very useful thing to have it is a sun shade, you can wet it wrap it around your head and mouth so you will not breath as munch smoke or dust. It can be used as a blanket. You can set on it. If it is still clean enough you can use it to dry your self off.

Light sticks.

Zip ties the long black ones. You can use them to build a shelter, tie someone up or fix your gear.

Tee candles burn a long time.

Boot lasses.

Sunglasses are a must summer or winter.

You will also need to pack a good pair of wind goggles. Think end of the world and everything that was once was is now dust. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=82188

“1 small bottle of sunscreen (I’m paler than pale, so I burn easily)” And you can burn through your clothing, the sun reflecting up will burn your man hood though your skivvies if you are wearing shorts.

Don’t poo at your house. And do not cook where you are going to sleep either.

If you need to signal use a small strip of foil, a gum wrapper will work. Hang it on a tree or bush and watch for a replay from somewhere else.

For cooking {heating water} use a star fire.
    Start with a hole in the ground the size of your fist and ring it with rocks. Use hardwood sticks the size of a #2 pencil, keep pushing them in as they burn the rocks will reflect the heat in and up. Little smoke and hot cools to cook on.

Attached Files:

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I have my 'gang' carry hydrogen peroxide, for all antiseptic purposes. 1 bottle goes a long way and it's one of the best ways for killing germs on anything.
    Bill

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Another Item I have everyone carry:
    Non-sudsy ammonia.
    Kills most insect stings and venom in seconds.
    It works on scorpions, bees, wasps, however,.. I'm not sure about them 8 legged nasties! (what I call spitters!)
    I have a friend that goes into anaphylactic shock from so much as a bees sting!
    Twice she has been stung, once on the hand and once on the lip (in bed!) by a scorpion.
    She lives in an area where the nearest emergency medical services are 35 miles away.
    Both times, the ammonia saved her bacon!
    Something to consider.
    Bill

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good tip dragonfly. Thanks

13. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

RP, we need some more info. How many with you & in what condition? Training? Will you & family be going through a built-up area or wilderness? Water sources on the way? Terrain? Will you follow roads? Do you know anyone along the route?

14. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

Seeing that I know where RP lives, as we are neighbors, and his family farm is only a couple miles from here, he wont have to worry about too much gear. However, as it's been pointed out, I'd recommend more skivvies and perhaps more socks. My emergency 3 day kit has 3 pairs of socks and 3 skivvies, plus 1 pair of seal skinz. As to food, some jerky will give you added protein. For the bug goop, exchange the can for something in a tube...reduces weight. I'd also recommend a shortwave radio (wind up and solar powered) small enough to fit in the pack. This will give you information as needed and keep you sane at times. Keep the .22 LR and load it with Remington Hornets or that of CCI stingers.

Looks good friend

15. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

I work on film crews and I usually use a equipment dolly to move our gear around.I was working with the speed network at the car show here in vegas and one of the other crews was using one of those big wheeled baby carriage tricycles.what a great way to carry your bug out gear! big tires for bad terrain and it's easier to pull or push your load than carry it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7