I hang out with some really talented retired machinsts

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TnAndy, Feb 3, 2017.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Couple times a year, they meet at each other's basements or shops and show off their toys.

One of them spend 3 years of spare time building this from original patent prints. Fully functional, in original 45-70 caliber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tully Mars, GOG, sec_monkey and 11 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Now that is some sweet hardware!!! [winkthumb]

sec_monkey, stg58 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I would not dare to get within arms length, I'd soak it in drool.

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

O. My. Goodness! Can you get us some close-ups of it? That is sweet! Now does that have to be registered or something...? I have no idea. What a talented guy. Is that polished brass?

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Dr. Gatling's finest! Such an awesome job of machining a fine and historical piece!
    I have no idea if that is technically an NFA firearm, it's also possibly a C&R. I would think because it has to be hand cranked to run that if isn't a "Full Auto" or for that matter a semi auto ether, so I honestly have no idea!

sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  6. TnAndy

Not NFA, each barrel fires single as the handle is turned, so it's just a bunch of single shots that happen to be space extremely close together :D

The materials are brass and the barrels are stainless steel. What is the most amazing thing is that they were able to come up with something like this in the 19th century.

Tully Mars, GOG, sec_monkey and 5 others like this.
  7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I want one!

8. ghrit

Now that the drooling is over, can we have a Youtube of it on the range so drooling can recommence?

Must
    remember
    to
    keep
    hydrated -----

9. TnAndy

We were supposed to have a fire demo, but he got recalled to work (supervisor at TVA) and it didn't happen....if it does, you can bet I'll video it.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Out of curiosity, why is a Dillon mini-gun considered a machinegun and a hand-crank gatlinggun isn't? They pretty much exactly the same thing?

11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Very nice. Want to see a machinist with way too much time....

Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  12. Bandit99

A video? YES! BTW what caliber is it? The barrels look big...dangerous...lethal. :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. ghrit

45-70 is the standard --- ;)

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would venture a Guess.... The MiniGun is Motor Driven, where the Gatling is Hand Cranked... and the Gatling would be a Replica. If it was using Black Powder as a Propellant, in the Cartridges, it wouldn't even be a FireArm, according to the GCA of 1968, as amended...

Bandit99, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We have a subcontractor who built his own Gatling gun out of his home shop, not his business. Pretty cool

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. Bandit99

How does he feed this thing? Big magazines of some sort or has to load the barrels individually or...?

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Vertical Gravity Fed Magazine into the Top most Barrel Breach, which then rotates until it reaches the firing position, which is on the horizontal plain, 90 Degrees from the loading position, Then the spent cartridge is ejected downward when that Barrel Breach is at the bottom of its rotation.

18. TnAndy

Yep....look close at the photos.....the tall stick magazine is installed on top the weapon just above the point where it pivots on the tripod.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7