I have a septic tank issue, that I need to address.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm telling ya!!!

tank.

Thunder5Ranch and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

This is basically the same as my unit. The exception is I did not need the discharge pump as gravity works fine moving the end water out to the ditch. Mine is a giant concrete box 7.5' w x 20' L x 8' deep. When it was all said and done it and the installation cost $3500, the aeration pump being $820 of that $3500. No mess, no stink, no open holes, just a discharge pipe that drips fairly clear water. The bacterial action going on in the chambers breaks pretty much everything down. I keep hearing from folks that have had these for 10+ years that at year 9-12 they had the settling chamber pumped and cleaned and really did not need to. The guy that installed mine sized ours for a household of 8 people (even though we are only 2) to compensate for the commercial kitchen water and bio matter running into it.

In a quick search I am seeing the same type of systems made with Poly, Plastic and fiberglass.

67821c810fa3b21fd5911a0289db6499.

Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, they work. Those systems are essentially identical to full scale municipal sewage treatment plants. Two problems for AoG with that setup. First is power for the aerator, effluent pump and controls; second is that it depends on some serious consideration of the clay. Looking at the pics AoG has posted, he's going to need the effluent pump, the land looks flat.
    Also worth the mention, a full scale plant will have a way to remove the sludges in both the primary and secondary tanks. For a small scale operation, there will be a need for manual removal, periodically.

Asia-Off-Grid and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Manual removal for me is calling the honey dipper hopefully every 7-10 years :) They are really pushing these units in the health depts for flat land with high clay content and only require that the discharge come out no less than 10' from the tank preferably into a ditch.

Asia-Off-Grid and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Great idea. Unfortunately, I am far too attached to my bum gun, to use a composting style toilet.

I doubt it very seriously. Heck man, I live in a country where the electricity isn't even constant. My UPS units often sound like I am running a telegraph station here, due to the voltage changing so much. Picture 3 of them in one room, clicking constantly during dips in power.

You just never want me to use a toilet again, doncha? I will end up bein' a nervous wreck, thanks to your picture, every time I open the door to the bathroom from now on. What has been seen, cannot be unseen. :D

Very true. Only three meters higher here at the farm, than the highway 5 kilometers away. This part of the country is flatter than a SEA woman's - err, um, feet. With the electricity being the way it is, unless I am going to build another solar array to power it, that will create another issue to deal with. Thank you for the information, though, @Thunder5Ranch.

Although the last thing I want to do is to dig up ground we have been building up for the past two plus years, I think the second tank and added field may be the best short term solution? Maybe, with enough gravel under the leach bed pipe, and running a drain field from each tank, may slow down the necessity of removing the water very often. Heck, if it gives me a year between servicing, that will be a significant improvement. I figure the pipe from the first tank could be up to 6 meters long; while the length from the second tank could be as much as 15 meters, from the back yard, to the front.

Hell, one thing that hadn't crossed my mind until now - I'm not even sure if they sell leach bed pipe here. I will check, upon my next trip to the city.

I hadn't noticed this reply. My apologies. Aside from the power issues, it seems as though it is a perfect solution.

============================================================​

On a positive note, the Boss and our family are the greatest. Trying to help prevent the septic tank from filling too fast again, they surprised me by building me a Khmer style outhouse. Solely for number 1, of course.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thin wall plastic pipe can be easily drilled or burned holes (with Bernz-O-matic or equal) to meet the intent. That's the easy part. The lengths you'll need is part of why the question of permeability of the clay. That along will govern the ditch length, amount of gravel, yadda yadda and so forth and so on. The other thing is the frequency of pumping the tanks, but you know that.

Heh. One of the jobs I was on used tight tanks for the construction trailers. The high level alarm, a really loud buzzer, was right behind my head at my desk ---- Yep, your imagination is correct ---

Tully Mars and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

ghrit, I looked at the distances today, which gave me the figures in my previous post of 6 meters and 15 meters, respectively. I figure I might as well run both lengths, while installing the second tank.

I never thought I would be dealing with this much shite, in all my life. :D

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If all your waste water is being directed to the septic, you might think about rerouting the non toilet water some where else. Gardens and lawns do not need septic treatment .

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  9. Asia-Off-Grid

Yep. Already sorted, thanks to my family. They even put me an 800 liters water jar inside my "Number 1 only toilet", with a water dipper to "flush it with". I posted about them building it for me, earlier in the thread:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. jodirumph
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ColtCarbine
  4. duane
  5. Ganado
  6. Sojourn
  7. naiamoon
  8. Hillbilly549
  9. DKR
  10. deMolay
  11. Ganado