I Have Jury Duty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I must report on July 23rd to Superior Court. Subject to misdemeanor if I refuse. I’d like to get picked so I can get out of work. The power lines will be waiting for me when I return. Will I make a good juror or nah? Fire away!! Lol. :D

62E50B56-74A1-4B4C-BCC8-BD0EAD130D6B.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

most likely you will sit around all day and not be selected

mysterymet, Motomom34, Brokor and 5 others like this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

It says for one week or one trial. :D

Ganado likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

repeat above, lol you can get yourself disqualified easily if you want too, take a book or cards or something, it's alot of sitting around waiting

chelloveck and Meat like this.
  5. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Empty your pockets completely, take a wall-wart charger for your phone, a book of at least 400 pages, and a non-adult beverage. I'm "bad" when I get called. I go on-line and look at the case filings for that court for the week. Thuggish types my attitude is Off With Their Heads!". Else I actually pay attention and render relatively unbiased judgement.

Motomom34, Ganado, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Thanks. Good tips from Ganado and Lancer. I do get antsy at times. :D

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I was called for jury duty 1 time,,,didn’t want to be there. Answered all the questions in they way I thought they didn’t want to hear. Dammit,,,they picked me. Was on a week long trial. Long slow and mostly boring. But was interesting to see how the legal system works. It does not work the way you think it should.

Motomom34, Ganado, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  8. Midnightblue72

Midnightblue72 Monkey++

I actually love jury duty. I only get picked for civil cases and I actually turned a jury on a crooked business owner from for to against.

Motomom34, Zimmy, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? 3 Answers Always immediately pop to mind. NO !!! G. Gordon Liddy". "You can't handle the truth!" A Few Good Men. Why should I, Politicians never do!" all mine.

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Where they always get me is when they ask if I can listen to the testimony objectively and deliver a verdict based solely upon what is presented in court. At which point I can only say...Yes.

That usually gets me snagged..... Good luck!!

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I got picked one time because they found out I had been a licensed EMT - the autopsy photos were graphic, - most of the jurors got sick.

Meh. Any more today, it's all Kabuki Theater... You waste a week of your time so the DA van pitch a plea bargain....

Get Life? Out in 10 years or less.

3cyl, Motomom34, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have been called up a few times for jury duty, but have never sat in for the Q & A portion, so never selected to participate. :)

Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I got dropped from a federal jury selection once. It was a case of a mideastern fella trying to smuggle guns from the USA to the ME. Taking coals to Newcastle, eh?
    The legal beagles asked if any of us had knowledge of firearms. Me being honest, I admitted to being a lifelong owner, collector and shooter of firearms. Ewww..... bad looks from the legal beagles.
    Then they adked if any if us were NRA members. I replied that I was a Life Member. If looks could kill.......
    The legal beagles conferred with the judge, who immediately dismissed me! Lesson learned. The courts do NOT want a juror who actually knows something of the subject of the case. We can't be dazzled by legal BS and smoke&mirrors.
    Too bad, I actually wanted on that case, and would have weighed the evidence fairly.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, US Bush Folks only get selected for Federal Jurys.... as the Municipal Courts have the Big Towns and Villages to choose from... I get a Jury Notice about once every three or four years.... Usually in the Winter Time, so I apply and get granted a Waiver, because My JOB, requires that I be On Site 24/7 when the Cannery is CLOSED... (Liability Insurance REQUIREMENT) So, last time they got smart and called me in the summer, and I served for 6 weeks, and If they had a Federal Case, or Federal Grand Jury, they would Call me... No one ever called.... If I had a choice, I like Grand Jury Duty much better than a Regular Case Jury Duty, because in a Grand Jury, the Jury Foreman Runs the show, NOT a JUDGE, or a Persecuter... And the Jurors, get to ask Questions... and then decide if there is cause to hand down an Indictment.... Also if your on a Grand Jury, there is voir dire.. Your either ON IT, or your NOT, and NO Defense Attorny's ALLOWED... In a regular Jury Trial, you just have to SIT There, and listen.. No Questions can be asked, until you get in the Jury Room, and then only if the Foreman, wants to know something SPECIFIC about the LAW, or a SPECIFIC Question about a piece of evidence Presented, during the Trial.. No fun at all... Went thru a voir dire, for a Dope Trial many years ago, and the Defense Attorney asked me What I thought the Maximum Sentence should be for the Crime? I said "Hang'em from the nearest Tree, straight from the CourtRoom after Sentencing".... I WASN"T Selected.... but Excused, real quick...

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I tell them I'm a criminals worst nightmare and there should be only 2 choices, Be shot or be hung.
    Never have been called up to serve????????

Yard Dart, oldawg, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

What can be done, can be undone....but only if the Prez likes you and Kim Kardassion or Sly Stalone are in your corner.:rolleyes:

Zimmy, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Don't want to serve ? Get a T-shirt that states "I believe in a FULLY INFORMED jury"......you'll be on your way out the door pretty soon.

Personally, I keep my mouth shut on that issue and if I serve, I'll judge the law along with the facts....as juries were meant to do. If the law is BS (tax cases, lot of drug cases, etc), I won't vote to convict.

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Called twice, excused. Once due to transfer 2500 miles the following week, second for aging out.

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Called twice dismissed once and served on a murder trial as Forman Individual was found guilty sentenced to Life with no parole...

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  20. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Especially when questioned, "Can you be a fair and impartial juror, Mr. Meat?" Then, you reply with, "He / She must be guilty. If not guilty, he / she wouldn't be here in the first place." :D

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Meat like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7