I Have Jury Duty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I was selected for jury duty once and actually got seated for a case.

It was a personal injury civil suit. The plaintiff was a lying turd and so was his attorney. He wanted $100,000 damages for a minor fender bender accident. The defendant admitted fault so all we really had to decide was the money part.

In the end, we gave him $1000 because he did have some out of pocket expenses he was able to prove. But...we found him 35% at fault so his actual award was $650. His lawyer, who gets paid on contingency, got a third of that, and then of course there are the insurance company liens to settle. When it was all done this idiot might have been lucky to have enough cash to buy a six pack to forget the entire ridiculous drama. The whole trial was over in a few hours.

The best part was the look on the plaintiff's lawyer's face when the award was announced. I could see him doing the math in his head: He got a little over $200 for an entire day in court plus all the prep work ahead of time and follow up afterward. He was pissed and it showed.

As for we jurors, we were treated very well. There was a very comfortable jurors-only lounge with free food and drinks (and the food was pretty good too), cable TV, and even an office area with a copier machine for those who wanted to get some work done on their down time. I don't think I'd want to do it for weeks and months, but being on jury duty for a day was kind of a cool experience.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    3cyl, Motomom34, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

One question. Do I have to dress up or wear just anything? I don’t really own nice clothes. :D

3cyl likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I would not mind serving on a jury, but I am exempted from service. Pity as I am a most impartial open and analytical mind. It generally goes here that f you are guilty, you go for a jury trial, if you are innocent you stick with a judge only trial one is about showmanship and facts vs obfuscation and one is about proving a matter in law. .

oldawg, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Me: "Under what jurisdiction is this court operating?"
    Court: "Statutory."
    Me: "Black's Law defines that jurisdiction as being 'statutory', which is a circular definition and vague. According to American Jurisprudence, this makes it Unconstitutional. Furthermore, it is my understanding that 'statutory' pertains to public policy, and corporations make policies, not a free republic with Common Law. I am also well versed in the colorable laws (which have the appearance of law but no actual lawful standing under the Constitution) and they are all 'codified', as in UCC (Uniform Commercial Code), USC (United States Code), FRC (Federal Reserve Code), or every State Code to date, which are all Admiralty domain for corporate structures."
    Court: "..."

Yeah. If they didn't rape or murder somebody, and I'm not including police in this definition, they're innocent in my book.

(still waiting)

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Dress nice, wear shoes. No shorts or t-shirt or sandals anyway.

Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Ok. Thanks. I might have to buy some fancy Carhartts and a bow tie.

3cyl, oldawg, Motomom34 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I blew a couple hundred bucks on a suit jacket, nice shirt, full tie (not clip-on), etc. for my federal court jury duty, as the instructions said to dress well. Sheesh, most people there were in t-shirts, jeans or shorts, totally dressed down. Money wasted. Just wear longnpants, collared shirt and shoes, you'll be better dressed than half of 'em.

Motomom34, Zimmy, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Just wear clean comfortable cloths, and take something to fiddle with, it's boring as hell waiting

these are good, you will look a little crazy but hey it might get you out of jury duty :ROFLMAO:[​IMG]

Zimmy and Meat like this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I don’t need those. I keep a live mouse in my pocket. Well he used to be. :whistle:

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

For me? Normal work attire - decent, comfy jeans, a polo/golf type shirt, and my usual Merrel light hikers. Screw formality: you're going to be sitting, doing absolutely nothing, for long periods. Be comfortable.

Motomom34, Zimmy and Meat like this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Don't forget if you want out of jury duty, there is always the line "I believe some laws are unjust, and thus I believe in Jury Nullification."

STANGF150 and Meat like this.
  12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I like jury duty.

It's my only way to legally dispense a little Justice without getting into trouble with the vigilante thing.

I always shake my head at the blacks and Hispanics doing everything that they can to get out of jury duty and leaving one of their own stuck with an all white jury with little or no local perspective or cultural understanding.

DKR, STANGF150, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Better go with a regular tie. It's better for covering up the gravy drippings. Oh and zip the legs so people can't tell if you used all the eyelets or not. They call you a redneck for that faux pas around here. Trust me on this.

Meat and Zimmy like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Take a seat cusion. Those hard chairs in the waiting area are worse than church pews!

Witch Doctor 01, Meat and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Can I take notes? That might help me remember what was said.

Ganado likes this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

:D That might work!! Then, ask if you can have testimony repeated because you might not get it written down before the next question! [LMAO][LMAO]

Meat and Ganado like this.
  17. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Only called for a week? Ah, here in NM, we get called on jury duty for 6 months at a time. Yep. We have to call in each weeknight and see which panel they want to show up the next day. What a royal pain! I only had to show up twice during my last 6 month stint, but the calling in was a royal pain. I think a large percentage of our criminals here do some plea bargaining.

Kajun

Meat and Ganado like this.
  18. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Called once in the US......over a year after I had moved out of the country.....:rolleyes: (my mom called them up & told them I wasent even in the country any more... never heard back so...)

Been called 2 x here... wavered as I run my own buisness & if I have to serve thats my entire buisness shut down for the entire time and my dh allso out of work for however long....

19. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I just received my official summons. I got a bus ticket, a parking permit, and most importantly a BADGE! :D

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A bus ticket!!!!!!! [LMAO] :eek:

Ganado and Meat like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7