I recently opened some peanut butter and it was stale .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is the question I have also. It is a good question because that makes a difference. If it was just the oils then it could have been a bad batch but if it is the additives then it is the whole brand and that brand should be avoided.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is Skippy, no preservatives .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@arleigh you just triggered an interesting thought for me on the delima of a modern prepper

Is it better to prep with food, like Skippy, with no preservatives, or a food that has preservatives, or a combination?

In today's 'all naturalorganicomgmyfoodhasgmos' society, the only thing discussed is the quality of fresh food, they dont really talk about, maybe its ok to eat some of those preservatives if you are storing food for future use.

TBH I would rather have both but have never considered this before. Now I need to relook at the food supply with an eye to balancing and the order to use food stores in. thanks for the new thought

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

I've eaten K ration, C ration, MRE, and a couple of lesser known Government Rations of Peanut Butter. None of them prior to the oils separating from the peanut mixture yet. All of them allowed me to thrive & survive. The when in doubt toss it out philosophy is a Fat American nuance. Paul Newman might have summed it most succinctly in the movie "Hombre"

Audra Favor: I can't imagine eating a dog and not thinking anything of it.

John Russell: You even been hungry, lady? Not just ready for supper. Hungry enough so that your belly swells?

Audra Favor: I wouldn't care how hungry I got. I know I wouldn't eat one of those camp dogs.

John Russell: You'd eat it. You'd fight for the bones, too.

Audra Favor: Have you ever eaten a dog, Mr. Russell?

John Russell: Eaten one and lived like one.

Audra Favor: Dear me.

Quotes from "Hombre"

If it's life or death, anything in a can is eatable! (Smells bad dog food is a Gourmet Treat.) Especially if it doesn't give away your position during E&E. Save the can, you can do so much more with it when prying eyes are not upon you. Most of the "Homeless" gain weight living out of your trash bin. It's going to be such a paradigm shift when the prospect of starvation actually strikes"HOME" JMHO.

Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I suppose that if your billing it all down we are talking survival not just an inconvenient time . the longer the food lasts the longer you will last. Chances of survival begin to dwindle when the food runs out.

M118LR likes this.
  6. M118LR

You can't starve to death within 30 days. Live 5 days without water and I'll be impressed! So your going to become dangerous to my survival within the first 72 hours. I don't need to feed you if you ain't had any water. Just because American Tax Dollars have propped up UN Peace Keeping across the globe, don't expect the UN to do anything if America runs out of water or food!
    So just how bad is your separated, expired use by date, peanut butter? If you haven't had a drink of water since the peanut butter left the shelf?????

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Be careful feeding your puppies peanut butter... some of the recipes have changed and an additive that is tixic two dogs has been added...

Xylitol, a sweetener used in many foods, including peanut butter, yogurt, toothpaste and chewing gum, is safe for humans but potentially deadly for dogs. If ingested, it can cause seizures, liver failure and death, warned one animal hospital, which called xylitol "extremely toxic" to dogs.Nov 11, 2015

arleigh and M118LR like this.
  8. M118LR

Little known fact, Fido isn't a homosapien! Fido was borne a carnivore, homosapien flesh isn't going to cause inter species problems with Fido. Peanut Butter ain't on Fido's natural diet. Just food for thought....................

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Perhaps, instead of storing commercial manufactured peanut butter.....make your own as required.

Gator 45/70 and M118LR like this.
  10. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Skippy Natural creamy peanut butter- no preservatives -Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed, Soybean and Rapeseed Oil) To Prevent Separation, Salt, Flavoring.

Or palm oil.

Peanut Butter: 36 Top Brands Ranked for Nutrition | Eat This Not That
    www.eatthis.com/peanut-butter-ranked

From Skippy and Jif to Earth Balance and Smucker’s and more, we analyzed 36 peanut butters and ranked the ... “No dude,” I told him, pointing to his smoothie. ...

A really good peanut butter should have just two ingredients: peanuts (duh) and a pinch of salt.

Peanut Butter: 36 Top Brands Ranked for Nutrition | Eat This Not That

I use Smucker’s…...good for 5+ years after best by date that I know of.

I invert the jars every few months To Prevent Separation.

I also invert canned milk products every few months To Prevent Separation

keep half the jars upright and half of the jars upside down...when you go to open a jar ………..take an upsidedown one and the oil will be on the bottom and easy to stir.

Gator 45/70, arleigh and M118LR like this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Note this list's #1 selection will kill your dogs... just saying....

chelloveck likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I guess i'm changing to Smuckers

M118LR likes this.
  13. M118LR

With a name like "SMUCKERS" it has to be good. :LOL:

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Everything that goes bad at my house or in my storage goes into the Magic Bacon Converters for processing.

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Probably be better all the way around to be growing the peanuts instead.

1. JrOrtiz
  2. Magdala_Buckley
  3. Hillbilly549
  4. Ganado
  5. Ganado
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. oldman11
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid