I stimulated the economy a little today...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CaboWabo5150, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Frankly, I'd prefer 7-1/2 or smaller pellets with these guns, and aim for the face rather then center of mass for defensive use. (Follow with the 45 at COM or vice versa.) Yeah, I recognize the possibility of less than lethal consequences, but the threat would be ended (with or without the followup 45) even if the legal fight would not yet have been started. (Now where did I put the 1911?)

I'm not in snake country, but a mag full of hardball should suffice if I do come upon a timber rattler somehow. There are, however, bear seen in the area now and then.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I live on the far side of Game Lands & a State Park. The terrain is mountainous steep so very few trek deep into the woods unless they are lost. lol As the area is undisturbed it is great snake country.

As they are lightweight we typically hike with a high capacity 9mm and her trusty +P wheel gun wearing snake boots.
    This is bear country; so when there are noises outside at night I lean more towards 870, AR or AK.

To be honest, unless it was all I had I wouldn't consider either of the 45LC/410s as a defensive firearm.
    IMO, one of the stand out traits of a good defensive firearm is I don't have to think about how to use it effectively.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Cabela's has some .45LCs on sale right now. Although, I must admit, I don't understand how they could charge almost the same amount for half the ammo. There's also $5 shipping.

Cabela's: Magtech® .45 Colt Cowboy Ammo

4. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

I shot the Judge yesterday for the first time... As far as the .410 shells go.. Wow.. That is cool.. You could fire blindfolded and not miss.. #4 shot shells at 25 yards is a joke.. The shot pattern at that distance was at least a 4 foot dia. But the 000' buck shot was very impressive.. 4 pellets that are somewhere around 9mm in dia ended up in about a 3"-4" spread. Imagine the bottom of a Campbells soup can. Now hold that can over the center of your chest. That's the impact area.. The best however was the PDX1 shells.. Winchester PDX1 .410 Demo - YouTube And the .45 LC is not what I would call "inaccurate".. It's great for it's intended purpose.. At 25 yards a 3" dia. group is the best I would expect with my limited abilities.. An that's about what I got.. As a former Marine, I'm more of a rifleman than a handgun shooter.. As far as concealment, I bought a paddle holster BLACKHAWK! Serpa CQC Belt with Loop and Paddle - BLACKHAWK! and tried it out when a friend came over.. He also carries a concealed pistol, so he is usually looking to see if he can see if anyone else is.. He didn't notice.. It has been cooler outside, so I was able to wear one of my insulated flannel shirt/jackets.. But even as big as the Judge is, I was able to conceal it under a light jacket.. I wouldn't plan on trying to pull that off all day out in the world, but it's good to know that it could be possible - maybe..

I had never heard of the S&W Governor until Chelloveck's post - and I wish I had.. I have other S&W "products" that have really been happy with.. And I probably would have leaned towards that instead of the Taurus Judge.. That being said, I'm not disappointed in what I bought..

chelloveck likes this.
  5. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I bought the Judge with the long barrel,blued finish.I like it.You get tired of yours,let me know.

6. freedom first

freedom first Monkey+

I bought the politician model.

It doesn't work, and I can't fire it.:oops:

CaboWabo5150 and chelloveck like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's probably overpriced and damned finnicky with what it eats too.

8. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind... lol...

CaboWabo5150's Rule #7: Never sell a gun.. Keep them all..

Clyde likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7